Monster Inspiration (passive NC) a good deal at $100?
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BroncosFan23

New Head-Fier
They're on sale on Ebay @ Monster's official store.

I know the Monster brand itself has a bad rap, but these particular set of HPs have been getting pretty good reviews

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/monster-inspiration-black/4505-13831_7-35440658.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406555,00.asp

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/monster-inspiration-passive-noise-isolation-review/

I mean this has to count for something right? Unless they're all shrills. 
tongue_smile.gif

I have a few questions: What are peoples' experiences with them? Are they good for rock, alternative metal, metalcore, melodic death metal, etc? And how do they compare the ATH-m50s, as considering the sale, the Inspirations cost a bit less than them at the moment.

Any replies would be helpful.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 7
My brother-in-law got these as a gift and I listened to them briefly. The initial impressions I got from it was that it was very bassy, as most Monster/Beats headphones are, in many songs, this was too overpowering for me (though I'm not a basshead). I also felt at times the treble was a bit harsh and bright.

They're also kind of funky in the fit. I felt that they were too small to be over ear, but too big to be on ear.

Overall, at $270, there is no way I would even consider them, but at $100, I would say they aren't too bad. They definitely look a lot better than the M50's, which has a weird ass length for a cable anyways. Definitely a little bassier, but I haven't had enough headtime to really compare them.

I tried them at my local BestBuy the other week and I realized why the swagfags were avoiding it like the plague... It's not bassy! it actually doesn't sound too bad, 

Really, well, I guess I need to go back and listen to them..

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 7
  My brother-in-law got these as a gift and I listened to them briefly. The initial impressions I got from it was that it was very bassy, as most Monster/Beats headphones are, in many songs, this was too overpowering for me (though I'm not a basshead). I also felt at times the treble was a bit harsh and bright.

They're also kind of funky in the fit. I felt that they were too small to be over ear, but too big to be on ear.

Overall, at $270, there is no way I would even consider them, but at $100, I would say they aren't too bad. They definitely look a lot better than the M50's, which has a weird ass length for a cable anyways. Definitely a little bassier, but I haven't had enough headtime to really compare them.

Really, well, I guess I need to go back and listen to them..

Keep in mind the ones I listened too we're a display model, so I'm not sure what could have happened to them; there are also a lot of other factors like burn and such that would affect the sound. I also agree about the treble, which felt rather harsh.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 7
This might be due to the fit but I thought the inspirations sounded like crap compared to M50's. The M50's feel like they have a much richer bass and treble response while the Inspirations have slightly rolled off treble and almost sounded muffled. Again it's probably just the fit I have bigger than average ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back