Monster Cable HTS-2000 question
Nov 26, 2001 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nico

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I just received the HTS-2000 power line conditioner and I'm not sure where to plug my components.

Where should I plug the headphone amp (OBH-11SE)?

Where should I plug the CD player?

Right now I have my head amp plugged in the "PRE-AMP and my CD player in the "AUDIO SPARE (switched/filtered)".

Thanks in advance!

Nov 26, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't have this, but here's a review that I found:

MONSTER POWER HTS2000
The HTS2000 is designed to provide a single source of clean power and surge/spike protection for all major home theatre connections, including phone hookup for pay-per-view systems such as DSS and DIVX, and coaxial hookups; cable TV, satellite dish, and antenna.

With HTS2000's 12 switched and unswitched outlets, one can connect even the most extensive home theatre system.HTS2000 shatters the long-standing tradition of power centers as mere extension cords with added outlets and surge protectors. HTS2000, a modestly priced unit, was designed by one of the world's leading designers of $3000+ audiophile grade AC power components.

HTS2000 addresses the often ignored issue of component-to component noise generation with three separate noise filters to maximize high current audio, high power video and low current audio component performance. Ordinary solid state designed surge protection is surpassed with gas tubes designed to be constantly hit with high voltage without wearing out. With a 1300 joule rating, HTS2000 features more than twice the energy absorption of many power strips/surge protectors. And, the AC power line is filtered with Clean Power filter circuitry for superior reduction of electromagnetic and radio frequency interference. Unswitched outlets provide components with constant power, even when the power center is switched off. A perfect solution for anyone who's ever experienced the annoyance of a blinking VCR clock, due to a switched outlet hookup. Component-specific, color-coded outlets provide quick, error-free hookups, and color-coded Audio/Video labels attach to component power cords for additional convenience.
hts2000.jpg

Nov 26, 2001 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Nico,

I have one of these. Basically, there are three options. Turning the strip over reveals a diagram showing what exactly each outlet does. One side is for video devices -- TV's, DVD players, etc. They are merely labeled for convenience purposes -- all the outlets on that side function the same. The other side is for audio devices, again labeled only for convenience. However, there are two special outlets which are meant for high power amplifiers. These ARE labeled for function, as well as convenience. Just plug in your headphone gear into the audio side, wherever you want, and it should be fine. I've tried both sides, and honestly can't tell a difference, although I haven't really paid a whole lot of attention.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 9
For what it's worth:

I find my preamp (which doubles as my headphone amp) sounds best plugged into the high current outlet of my HTS-2500. Smoothness and frequency extension is much improved compared to the preamp outlet. Sources (to my ears) sound best through the high filtered outlets.

hope this helps,

carlo

Nov 27, 2001 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 9
I've used the HTS-2000 and I now use the HTS-1000.

I think you should experiment and find what works best for you. I've found that digital components sound best when they are plugged into the DVD/CD outlet and the video outlets. Also, by plugging your digital source into the DVD/CD you can isloate your digital source from your headamp by plugging your headamp into the audio outlets(there is supposed to be 60db of isolation between the audio and video outlets).

I would experiment with plugging your headamp into the normal audio outlets vs. the "high current" outlets and see which sounds better. The high current outlets do little filtering and thus allow for quicker current drawl, but it may be the case that the regular audio outlets provide needed filtering for your headamp. I still think the Monsters choke dynamics and bass of both power amps and headamps in both the high current and regular audio outlets. But it's a fair trade-off given the Monster's virtues and price.

Nov 27, 2001 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Nico
I agree with BenG 100%, use the outlet marked DVD/CD for your CD player, and plug headphone amp into any other low power audio outlet.

Re: PS audio juice bar, this offers no surge/lightning protection so be warned! This is really better to be used as an extension from
PS Audio Power Plants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back