monster 6ft into 3ft?
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3
Hey all,

since the circuit city by my house was going out of business, I took advantage of what I thought was an ok deal on a monster 400i rca interconnect. because I'm an impatient idiot, I didnt realize I was buying a 2meter (6ft) cable instead of a basic 3ft, and there are no returns at this stage. I was thinking of cutting the cable in half, and making two interconnects instead of the one long one. has anyone done this? will I be sacrificing the integrity of the cable by splitting it, or is it just like any other termination? please share some thoughts or advice.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 3
You can do this. I don't think that there would be significant sound quality effects from doing it, but I would not for the following reason:

You will be defeating the structural integrity of the cable if you solder your own plugs on. What I like best about Monster cables is the build quality and excellent strain relief at the ends. I have never had one internally fail. If you cut the cable in half and re-make the two halves into 3ft cables, they'll possibly be weak at one end. Despite the impressive cables that some folks can make, I don't think DIY can compete with Monster's fabrication processes.

If you're going to do it, I would be sure to put adequate strain relief on the ends that you'll be terminating. If you wanted the ends to match, and would be willing to settle for only one IC, it's pretty easy to unscrew + desolder the RCA plugs.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can do this. I don't think that there would be significant sound quality effects from doing it, but I would not for the following reason:

You will be defeating the structural integrity of the cable if you solder your own plugs on. What I like best about Monster cables is the build quality and excellent strain relief at the ends. I have never had one internally fail. If you cut the cable in half and re-make the two halves into 3ft cables, they'll possibly be weak at one end. Despite the impressive cables that some folks can make, I don't think DIY can compete with Monster's fabrication processes.

If you're going to do it, I would be sure to put adequate strain relief on the ends that you'll be terminating. If you wanted the ends to match, and would be willing to settle for only one IC, it's pretty easy to unscrew + desolder the RCA plugs.

it seems like it is more a pain then its worth.. its just irritating having 6 feet of cable coiled between two things less than a foot apart. I'll just leave it. thanks for your comment. you helped me decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back