Monsta Turbs
Dec 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

m27gio

New Head-Fier
I received my Monster Turbines today and was very excited to try them out.  I'm not an expert on headphones and couldn't give you a technical explanation for anything, but all I can say is I was very pleased with the detail that the Turbines provided.  With that being said, the bass IMO is way over-hyped for these things.  The bass on my Apple IEMs is better and the sound quality seems to be close, especially for being about $100 cheaper.  I've also tried the Tours by Dre Beats and the Turbines are superior to them, but the Bose IE2's seem to have way better bass and "surround sound"-ish feel to them than the Turbines.  I like the Turbines because of the fit and detail, but after burn in can I expect a wider soundstage or improved bass?  (For example, in the song Black and Yellow the bass during the chorus is barely noticeable...slightly more with my Apple's, and considerably more with my Bose)

Thanks!!

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 23
I'm guessing isolation problems. The Turbines are notorious for terrible stock tips, but experimenting should fix that. And I call balls on the "Apple IEMs and IE2 have more bass" statement - I've listened to the Apple in-ears for an extended period of time and I also have the IE2s and there is a definite bass difference.

I'm not talking about subtle, slightly deeper bass, I mean that the Turbines sound like the Inception soundtrack played on a home theater system and the others sound like it was played through TV speakers.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 23
hmm okay i'll fool around with the different tips...should i buy some special tips if none of them fit right? and do you recommend the Turbines over the IE2?  How about over the RE0...those are on the way and I was gonna compare the two.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 23
well crap now im questioning whether the problem with the Tours was isolation problems as well...they're cheaper than the Turbines.  How about these two compared?

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
I'm guessing isolation problems. The Turbines are notorious for terrible stock tips, but experimenting should fix that. And I call balls on the "Apple IEMs and IE2 have more bass" statement - I've listened to the Apple in-ears for an extended period of time and I also have the IE2s and there is a definite bass difference.

I'm not talking about subtle, slightly deeper bass, I mean that the Turbines sound like the Inception soundtrack played on a home theater system and the others sound like it was played through TV speakers.

with the turbines, you really have to experiment with insertion depth, don't quickly jam it into your ears like you might/can with other phones, try and slowly insert it in while rolling the earpieces, then there shouldn't be that weird pocket of air inside your ear canal that destroys all the sound, also, try and moisten the eartips, then they'll slide in easier. finally, follow normal eartip insertion practices, moisten tips, pulls tips of ears outwards and back, say ahhhhhh and slowly slide eartips in with a twisting motion.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
how long should i burn these for? is it okay if i just cycle thru my whole itunes library

'round 30-40 hours should do it. you might want to try some pink/white noise as well, which is what I used to burn my pair in. Here's a good website.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 23
The burn-in period on mine was 24 hours, and I went to a different genre of music every 6 hours. Started with easy listening stuff, then went more into bass-heavy TDK/Inception OSTs and then to house music.

The Turbines are definitely better than the IE2s in my opinion, but I can't say for the Tours since I've not listened to them yet. If the tours sound anything like their bigger Dr. Dre brothers, then yes, the Turbines sound better than them.
Custom (third party, not ear canal expensive ones) tips are a must for the Turbines, unless you want to go through the ritual of silicon tip insertion EVERY TIME.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 23
ps the second time i listened to the turbines there was a great improvement...i think i just had a bad fit the first time. these are effing amazing...never experienced anything like it...even with my friends nice over ear headphones..so stoked

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 23
try some monster super tips, some like them some hate them, i decided to try them and im in love with gel tips. they fit me well and provide better isolation than the stock tips. the sampler pack comes with 5 sizes in gel and foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back