Monoprice THX AAA 887 / SMSL SU-9 with Sundara?
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Fly2High

Head-Fier
All,

this is my first post and am looking for my first DAC and amp. I recently purchased a pair of HiFiman Sundara headphones and have marveled in how they sound. I will admit I tend to like a bit more bass but I am loving the new experience that they show. I have never heard so much detail, separation and accuracy all along the frequency range. The best I have hear before this were Sennheiser PX-100 and 200 headphones. Yeah, been listening to crap so I was going to go up from there regardless what I bought! So for me, these are amazing. I am also amazed as to how the sound changes between plugging them into an iPhone 12, computer audio (Asus built in audio - P9X79 deluxe motherboard sound) and then an old Onkyo TS-XV90 Pro receiver. I can only imagine things getting better. Changes in source really do make a difference and so I am cautiously looking.

I would like to keep the clarity, quickness and details I am hearing. Not sure if components can add lower end or not.

Currently, I am thinking of a Monoprice THX AAA 887 amplifier and a SMSL SU-9 DAC to pair up. I might go for the SMSL SU-8 V2 instead in order to reduce costs a bit.

Part of why I am looking at Monoprice is that the soundstage and a couple other things are better than the Drop 789 and the SMSL THX 888 stuff in my price range do not have RCA pass though. I want to hook this setup to my computer but I also want to use the DAC to feed a pair of Edifier 1850DB active speakers.

Can I hook up the headphone amp to the balanced output and the active speakers to the RCA output of the DAC?

Will the volume control on the 887 adjust the pass through RCA or it is just a 'Y' cable to the active speakers?

Will the 887 allow for selection of output or is it where, as long as no headphone is plugged in, it will go over to the pass though?

Anyone have any thoughts on this set of components? Will the Sundara's be brighter than they are?

thanks
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back