Monoprice or Superlux
Nov 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Agent Cooper

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

My Monoprice 8323's broke yesterday after two years of constant use, so I'm in the market for a budget set of cans. My requirements are the headphones must be closed and have a detachable cable, after doing some research I have limited my choice between three pairs,

- Monoprice 8323 for €22
- Superlux HD669 for €42 https://www.thomann.de/ie/superlux_hd_669.htm
- Superlux HD 685 for € 65 https://www.thomann.de/ie/superlux_hd_685.htm

Those prices include delivery hence why the prices of the Superlux's are inflated a touch.

Are the Superlux's worth the extra, and if so which one should I go for. I can see lots of great reviews on other Superlux headphones namely the HD 668B's and the 681 Evo's but there's not much info out there about the two models I listed.

I'm slightly reluctant to go for the 8323's again, as while they have lasted two years, they have been held together by tape in  a couple of places for the last 12 months, so would like something with a slightly higher build quality, as well as an improvement in other areas. Although two years is a decent amount of time and I was pretty happy with them in general so many I should go for them again.

The headphones will be used for listening to tv shows/films and rock music in the main. Noise isolation as well as durability is quite important.

I'm certainly open to other headphones, if any one knows of a decent pair under €65, that match my two previously mentioned requirements.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 11
I like Monoprice products, but the build quality of the 8323 is just not very solid.
But guessing it's the best that could be done for the price

I'm thinking the Superlux HD-685 is the best choice.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Yeah build quality and comfort isn't great but I can't complain about getting two years out of them given the price I paid.

I was edging towards the 685's but have had my head turn by the Philips A1 pro's, which I can get for under €50. They are on ear rather than over ear which is making me hesitant but I might order them and just return them if I feel they are a bit small. Not a whole lot of information out there about them either. Can anyone provide some feedback on them?

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 11
  Yeah build quality and comfort isn't great but I can't complain about getting two years out of them given the price I paid.

I was edging towards the 685's but have had my head turn by the Philips A1 pro's, which I can get for under €50. They are on ear rather than over ear which is making me hesitant but I might order them and just return them if I feel they are a bit small. Not a whole lot of information out there about them either. Can anyone provide some feedback on them?

I just do not see other brands of headphones offering the audio quality of Superlux and Takstar, for a given price.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Even Philips? To be honest, I had never heard of Superlux or Takstar until a couple of days ago, but from reading reviews and threads on here it's clear they have a great reputation but I would have thought the Philips should be able to match them, at least given the fact the A1's usually retail much higher (they are about €100 new on Amazon UK atm). I could very well be mistaken through and the Philips A1's might be more expensive mainly due to the fact they are  a more mainstream brand and are endorsed by a famous DJ, although the build quality does look excellent.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 11
what about the Superlux HD660 + beyerdynamic DT770 earpads??  ~near about 60euro it looks like

https://www.thomann.de/ie/beyerdynamic_dt770_ohrpolster.htm

and

https://www.thomann.de/ie/superlux_hd660.htm?ref=search_rslt_superlux_243085_8

should be quite nice and pretty indestructible .. cord on the superlux's is a bit stiff reportedly..   I have the beyerdynamic DT770's which the superlux's pay serious homage to .. they are quite comfortable... earpad swap optional. but probably would be nice the stock pads on the superlux don't seem so great.

oh right.. I own a pair of those takstar HD5500's I haven't used them in well over a year.. the earcups are pretty small.. the build is "ok" but not that great..  I mainly still have them because I forgot I owned them until just now...  I just dug them out out.. sounds is ok... if you have small head / ears maybe..  I think personally i'd get the superlux HD660 and the beyer earpads if I was y'all however...

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 11
  what about the Superlux HD660 + beyerdynamic DT770 earpads??  ~near about 60euro it looks like

https://www.thomann.de/ie/beyerdynamic_dt770_ohrpolster.htm

and

https://www.thomann.de/ie/superlux_hd660.htm?ref=search_rslt_superlux_243085_8

should be quite nice and pretty indestructible .. cord on the superlux's is a bit stiff reportedly..   I have the beyerdynamic DT770's which the superlux's pay serious homage to .. they are quite comfortable... earpad swap optional. but probably would be nice the stock pads on the superlux don't seem so great.

The coiled cable on the HD660 is very stiff and the grip on the head is a little tight.
but adding the Beyerdynamic EDT770 to the HD660 does improve the comfort.

And as the HD660 are 150-Ohm, need to be used with a decent head amp.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 11

The coiled cable on the HD660 is very stiff and the grip on the head is a little tight.
but adding the Beyerdynamic EDT770 to the HD660 does improve the comfort.

And as the HD660 are 150-Ohm, need to be used with a decent head amp.

i have heard the cable is pretty bad on the HD660's I'd be strongly tempted to mod them with miniXLR removable cable mod if i get them.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 11
I have a nasty habit of breaking headphone cables, plus I have a dog who has chewed through a couple of usb cables in the past, so I probably need the extra protection of a removable cable! Thanks of the info regarding the tekstar's, think I will rule them out, will go for the 685's or the A1's unless a decent deal pops up on cyber monday. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 11
So in the end I ordered a set of the CAD Audio MH510's, hadn't notice them on sale beforehand. They look comfy, with decent build quality and the reviews I read are pretty positive, got them for €15 cheaper than the 685's too. Hope I haven't made a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back