Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 23, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #4,966 of 5,150
The HD600 and HD6XX scale like crazy with better audio gear. They remain one of the truly great bargains
in this hobby.. Speaking of Schiit, the company just came out with its latest Mjolnir 3 headphone amp. Pure class A bias with the ability
to run single ended or push pull... Looking forward to seeing some listening impressions on it. 👍

Just listening to some Locatelli through one of my favorite affordable planar systems. Amazon Fire HD8+/ Schiit Modius AKM4493/ Cavalli LP/ Hifiman HE4XX. Really like the tone of this system. Non fatiguing..

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #4,967 of 5,150
Last night in a bit off a alcohol influenced purchase I bought a second hand Liquid Platinum to upgrade my much loved loxije P20 hope I did the right thing.I would normally research in detail before purchase but this was not an intended purchase.
I am not sure of how old the tubes are.I started to read the whole thread but at 332 pages I gave up.
So I am thinking of getting some new tubes am I better just replacing them for like for like or is there a better alternative.I have some nice gen 5670 in the P20 would these work with an adaptor or would these be inferrer to the 6692.
I will be using Grado if any tubes sound better on Grados especially the RS1-X
I will read the thread in whole but it may take some time as I am dyslexic

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #4,968 of 5,150
Last night in a bit off a alcohol influenced purchase I bought a second hand Liquid Platinum to upgrade my much loved loxije P20 hope I did the right thing.I would normally research in detail before purchase but this was not an intended purchase.
I am not sure of how old the tubes are.I started to read the whole thread but at 332 pages I gave up.
So I am thinking of getting some new tubes am I better just replacing them for like for like or is there a better alternative.I have some nice gen 5670 in the P20 would these work with an adaptor or would these be inferrer to the 6692.
Your 5670's would need a 5670 to 6922 adapter to work with the Liquid Platinum. Plenty of online sellers for that adapter out there.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,969 of 5,150
Someone else here will be able to answer your tube question better than I. Just commenting to say that in regards to reading this thread, I got from the beginning to about 145 pages in and its definitely worth reading up on a bunch of the early pages. Especially back when Cavalli himself was responding to questions about the platinum. Well worth the read if you want to be informed on your new toy.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,970 of 5,150
Congrats on your purchase! The LP is a great headphone amp. In the interest of saving you some
time, aggravation and hopefully money, I would replace the stock tubes with stock tubes. Given that you don't have the
factory 5 year warranty, I would also avoid purchasing an outboard power supply (since some LP owners
have experienced problems with them) or attempting to customize your LP in any way. Of course you can
take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I just offer them based on some of the comments I have read on
the thread over the past few years. Also, never use a balanced to single ended adaptor on the balanced output
of the LP since it will short the LP's output stage. This last comment is based on a warning from Dr. Cavalli
himself. Best of luck! 😊

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #4,971 of 5,150
The GE 5670 s are excellent tubes and will be fine in LP with 5670 —> 6922 adapters. Here is one source for the adapters.
B264B6A4-B15A-4D22-B8C3-6FB8C4EF5ACE.jpeg
Just realise that once in LP, the adapters are a bugger to get out of LP - care & patience are needed.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #4,972 of 5,150
The GE 5670 s are excellent tubes and will be fine in LP with 5670 —> 6922 adapters. Here is one source for the adapters. [...] Just realise that once in LP, the adapters are a bugger to get out of LP - care & patience are needed.
Some are fairly easy to remove, which preclude their ability to be socket savers if they're advertised as such. I would imagine that one wants a socket saver to be a tight fit if one wants to protect their amp tube sockets from the wear and tear of tube swapping. One brand whose socket savers are truly a pain to remove is Tubemonger. However, the quality of their socket savers is top-notch.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4,973 of 5,150
Some are fairly easy to remove, which preclude their ability to be socket savers if they're advertised as such. I would imagine that one wants a socket saver to be a tight fit if one wants to protect their amp tube sockets from the wear and tear of tube swapping. One brand whose socket savers are truly a pain to remove is Tubemonger. However, the quality of their socket savers is top-notch.
I love the Tubemonger (Pulse Tube Store) 12Axx —> ECC88 adapters. To remove them (when I previously owned LP), I ended up: unscrewing and detaching the LP back panel, carefully prying with a long narrow flathead screwdriver the base of the adapters from the tube sockets, slowly pulling the adapters out with hard rubber pliers … whew!!

So, nowadays, I have two LPs. One with / one without the PTS adapters. ☑️

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4,974 of 5,150
I love the Tubemonger (Pulse Tube Store) 12Axx —> ECC88 adapters. To remove them (when I previously owned LP), I ended up: unscrewing and detaching the LP back panel, carefully prying with a long narrow flathead screwdriver the base of the adapters from the tube sockets, slowly pulling the adapters out with hard rubber pliers … whew!!

So, nowadays, I have two LPs. One with / one without the PTS adapters. ☑️
I have the LP and it was a challenge just getting the stock tubes seated first time around. Thankfully they sound as good if not better than I can hear. I can’t imagine tube rolling these regularly, but using an adapter to raise the tubes up for cooler running seems like a good move. Are there 6922 - 6922 adapters out there for that purpose? All the ones I’ve seen are for using different tubes.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #4,975 of 5,150
I have the LP and it was a challenge just getting the stock tubes seated first time around. Thankfully they sound as good if not better than I can hear. I can’t imagine tube rolling these regularly, but using an adapter to raise the tubes up for cooler running seems like a good move. Are there 6922 - 6922 adapters out there for that purpose? All the ones I’ve seen are for using different tubes.
Tube Depot has ‘nine-pin’ socket savers. Pulse Tube Store has them as well.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #4,976 of 5,150
Thank you for all your advice much appreciated
I have just ordered some adapters
One more question
Would the LP be better connected to xlr out on my singxer SA-1 which gets its input SE from a oppo 203 or would I be better going SE into the LP straight from the oppo 203?
I will be using balanced out as all my headphone/cables are balanced.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #4,977 of 5,150
Thank you for all your advice much appreciated
I have just ordered some adapters
One more question
Would the LP be better connected to xlr out on my singxer SA-1 which gets its input SE from a oppo 203 or would I be better going SE into the LP straight from the oppo 203?
I will be using balanced out as all my headphone/cables are balanced.
Does the Oppo 203 have XLR out? If so, go 203 —> LP with XLR out —> XLR in. LP is designed to optimise results via all XLR.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #4,978 of 5,150
Agreed!!
XLR balanced all the way= best sounding amp under $1K

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #4,979 of 5,150
Does the Oppo 203 have XLR out? If so, go 203 —> LP with XLR out —> XLR in. LP is designed to optimise results via all XLR.
No sadly the 203 is SE the 205 was XLR
So I will try the singxer in pre amp mode XLR out
I am considering getting a Ladder Schumann DAC but unfortunately I have a Range Rover in the garage with a broken haldex/gearbox that about to eat my HiFi budget for this year.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #4,980 of 5,150
I feel your pain, vehicles are so essential but so expensive. Had to put a new engine in a RAV4 earlier this year and that drained a lot of play money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back