Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 26, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,351 of 5,150
Had a bit of a scare last night, I had quit listening to music and was reading when we had one of those momentary power outages, you know just a few seconds. I immediately thought aw crap, I left the amp on! Went over and I had turned it off, thankfully. Whew!

Got me thinking though, I usually sit right next to the amp when listening and if we lost power I could switch it off before the power came back on. But what then? If the amp doesn’t go through it’s shutdown sequence will it fry when i turn it back on? Sounds like the amp is doomed if the power goes out with it on, no matter what.

Geez like I need another thing to worry about….🤬

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #4,353 of 5,150
Are there any differences between the two RCA pairs on the back?
If memory serves, the ones with the I underneath are the se inputs you select between se and balanced with the button on the far right on the front. The other set with the dot or O is a line out I don’t think they’re volume controlled though…

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #4,354 of 5,150
Ha! The LP does look like Mr. Crabs when you use the Tubemonger socket savers.

Here's mine right now. I'm house sitting at my brother's place and taking care of his dogs. So I've got the trasportable system set up on the dining room table. LP + Bifrost 2 MB and LCD-X. I started using the GE 5670W tubes which need an adapter. If you use tubes that need an adapter you gotta use the tall Tubemonger socketsavers even if it looks silly or you are going to have a fun time getting the adapters out when you want to try a different tube. So you gotta do what you gotta do. Even if it looks like Mr. Crabs.

I joke now that the Tubemonger socket savers make the amp perfect for listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor cause the tall socket savers are like skinny fists lifting their antennas to heaven. Not ideal for trying to keep RFI noise out of the system. But if you're trying tubes that need socket adapters you gotta do what you gotta do.

QthJVB9.jpg
When I owned LP before, I had to partially disassemble LP to remove adapters which were stuck in the tube sockets - I had to access them from the back of LP 🥵.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #4,355 of 5,150
When I owned LP before, I had to partially disassemble LP to remove adapters which were stuck in the tube sockets - I had to access them from the back of LP 🥵.
EDIT: that is why I have two LP. One with, one without adapters.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #4,356 of 5,150
These early amp deaths have me concerned. I just got mine yesterday and now I am thinking of just returning.
It is disappointing, but my first one went for years. I am just going to shrug it off and get a replacement unit. Now if that one dies...

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #4,357 of 5,150
If memory serves, the ones with the I underneath are the se inputs you select between se and balanced with the button on the far right on the front. The other set with the dot or O is a line out I don’t think they’re volume controlled though…
Correct— folks referred to it as ’pre-out’ but that’s not correct, it’s a straight pass-through, amp doesn’t even have to be turned on.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #4,358 of 5,150
TH900 sounds most excellent pairing with LP, never liked TH900 with tube-amps, usually bass went crazy.

Treble is softer, i still EQ 6k peak couple db down but much more smooth and friendly. Liquid Platium enchances vocals which is perfect for TH900 since it has recessed midrange, there slight sub-bass roll off compared to Magni 3+ but TH900 has so much to spare that it does not matter, bass sounds very good and tight.

Still bit on the fence with Utopia and HD6xx, they are not bad pairings but not sure if they are best i've heard, Utopia is bit bass light and maybe if someone wants to make it softer sounding this is not amp for that but not what i am after.

HD6XX has more precision and clarity compared to OTL tube amp but that heavier tube coloration can work really well with it.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,359 of 5,150
Soon for LP …
AA576E19-8CC0-4273-99E0-D38855B81A30.jpeg

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #4,361 of 5,150
Has anyone tried mid 60's Bugle Boys in the LP? I have a set coming, got them for a really good price, thought they might be a good fit with this amp and my Anandas.
I had a set -- moved them on. To my ears, especially w/ my ZMF cans, the Bugle Boys sounded ... flabby?

To be clear, that's just my ears, and one set, which may or may not have been NOS (seller claimed they were, but ...)

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #4,363 of 5,150
New arrival. It was a spur of the moment purchase, during Monoprice March sale. $289 is just too good of a deal to pass up.

20230327_173317_Crop.jpg

I have been driving HE6se V2 with Drop THX AAA One. Volume wise, it is sufficient at my normal listening level; though I cannot crank up the volume. I was looking at possibly upgrading to Jotunheim or Asgard. I was not in a hurry, or you can say I was undecided.

After I ordered LP, I was reading this thread. I'm at page 166. Still 124 pages (and counting) to go.

Just got LP today. Still burning in. Right off the bat, HE6se V2 is more dynamic; bass has more punch; mids and vocals sound so smooth. The bass impact is a big difference, especially when I turn up the volume a bit. I kind of have to control how loud I listen. It sounds so good loud, but I also want to preserve my hearing.

However, LP treble is less open and less airy, compared to THX AAA.

Will hold off on final judgement until further burn in.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #4,364 of 5,150
New arrival. It was a spur of the moment purchase, during Monoprice March sale. $289 is just too good of a deal to pass up.

20230327_173317_Crop.jpg

I have been driving HE6se V2 with Drop THX AAA One. Volume wise, it is sufficient at my normal listening level; though I cannot crank up the volume. I was looking at possibly upgrading to Jotunheim or Asgard. I was not in a hurry, or you can say I was undecided.

After I ordered LP, I was reading this thread. I'm at page 166. Still 124 pages (and counting) to go.

Just got LP today. Still burning in. Right off the bat, HE6se V2 is more dynamic; bass has more punch; mids and vocals sound so smooth. The bass impact is a big difference, especially when I turn up the volume a bit. I kind of have to control how loud I listen. It sounds so good loud, but I also want to preserve my hearing.

Will hold off on final judgement until further burn in.
Dang, I can’t get my volume past maybe 10:30! I know those phones are hard to drive, I didn’t realize how hard!

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,365 of 5,150
The THX AAA is a bright-sounding amp (to my ears) whereas the Liquid Platinum is a lot smoother, so depending on your preferences I'm not sure it will meet your expectations. Also keep in mind that you can influence the sound by rolling a different pair of tubes with more treble energy. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back