Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 1, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #4,186 of 5,150
Hello. Just received my platinum today at work. My Burson is a solid state and it stays on all the time. What is the protocol with a hybrid tube amp like this? Leave it powered on or keep it off when not in use?
Welcome, I hope you enjoy the amp!

Agree w/ @Jimmyblues1959 ... better to turn if off if not using for a while.

One thing Alex mentioned was to not turn power to the amp on/off from a surge protector or something. Apparently the amp does some 'stuff' when you power it off with the power button that won't happen if you just cut power.

Also, consensus is that the LP performs much better from its balanced out. Burson is only SE, correct? So you might consider adding a balanced cable ... sorry :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #4,187 of 5,150

One thing Alex mentioned was to not turn power to the amp on/off from a surge protector or something. Apparently the amp does some 'stuff' when you power it off with the power button that won't happen if you just cut power.

Also, consensus is that the LP performs much better from its balanced out. Burson is only SE, correct? So you might consider adding a balanced cable ... sorry :frowning2:

I never heard anything in regard to having a problem running the Liquid Platinum through a power strip. Alex did say that it was not advisable to use the LP with a separate dedicated power supply, because the LP was not designed to be used with one.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4,188 of 5,150

I have a BiFrost 2 arriving tomorrow, and balanced cables for my LCDX as well. So I will be running those that way. I'll see if I'll get more balanced cables. I will still have the Burson hooked up, and see how SE sounds with my other cans and decide if I want to get some more balanced cables. Will probably get the Meze Copper balanced for the 109 pro soon though.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #4,189 of 5,150
Also, consensus is that the LP performs much better from its balanced out.
It's not merely a consensus (and generally true for most truly balanced amps). The LP's manual explicitly states that the balanced XLR output is superior and should be used exclusively if possible. Dr. Cavalli also discussed this frankly here when the amp was released, stating that the amp was designed to be used from its balanced output and that the single ended output was inferior and provided only as a convenience.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #4,190 of 5,150
It's not merely a consensus (and generally true for most truly balanced amps). The LP's manual explicitly states that the balanced XLR output is superior and should be used exclusively if possible. Dr. Cavalli also discussed this frankly here when the amp was released, stating that the amp was designed to be used from its balanced output and that the single ended output was inferior and provided only as a convenience.

Does that mean that the SE output is inferior to an SE output on a competitors amp in the same performance/price range?

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #4,191 of 5,150
Does that mean that the SE output is inferior to an SE output on a competitors amp in the same performance/price range?
It means don’t buy this amp if you aren’t going to use it balanced

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #4,192 of 5,150
I have the DAC connected to Liquid Platinum via the rear balanced / XLR sockets. Most of the headphones that I use are plugged into the front balanced / XLR socket. The Grados, with their SE ‘fixed cables’, I have plugged into the front SE socket. They sound fine: airy, open, wide dynamics & soundstage. It also helps that the Grados are quite efficient (~ 99.5 dB/milliwatt).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #4,193 of 5,150
Mar 3, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #4,194 of 5,150
So you have to have another amp for your unbalanced SE headphones because this one is so bad?

Reviews have said that the SE is just fine

https://www.themasterswitch.com/Monoprice-Monolith-Liquid-Platinum-review

I have an LP and have used both its single ended and balanced inputs and outputs with dynamic and planar magnetic headphones. In my experience, when using efficient headphones, the sound signature is quite similar using either. Balanced is better, however, in a subtle way. Where balanced becomes noticeably better is when the LP is used with inefficient headphones that require more power. Subjectively, IMHO, the LP is a great sounding headphone amplifier and you would have to spend at least two grand on a headphone amplifier that sounds better.

And not just any headphone amplifier at or above the $2000 price, because many are not as good as the LP. I'm referring to those that are. For instance, I was able to demonstrate a DNA Starlett for a month back in 2021 and found it to be superior to the LP in just about every way.

The Starlett was clearly better with my dynamic headphones (Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX, AKG K240 Sextett), but only slightly better with my inexpensive planars (Hifiman HE4XX, Fostex T60RP). Since I use the dynamic headphones most of the time I decided that the improvements with the Starlett over the LP justified the price of the Starlett ($2000). So I ordered one. For those interested in purchasing a DNA headphone amplifier, the current wait time is about 18 months.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #4,195 of 5,150
Guess what about Liquid Platinum? It does a wonderful job driving the 200-ohm Audeze LCD-4 ! (a rarity: high-impedance magnetic planar). With the Raytheon JAN 7308s, the LP sound is balanced, detailed, dynamic, and ever so slightly sweet. 😀

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,196 of 5,150
I have an LP and have used both its single ended and balanced inputs and outputs with dynamic and planar magnetic headphones. In my experience, when using efficient headphones, the sound signature is quite similar using either. Balanced is better, however, in a subtle way. Where balanced becomes noticeably better is when the LP is used with inefficient headphones that require more power. Subjectively, IMHO, the LP is a great sounding headphone amplifier and you would have to spend at least two grand on a headphone amplifier that sounds better.

And not just any headphone amplifier at or above the $2000 price, because many are not as good as the LP. I'm referring to those that are. For instance, I was able to demonstrate a DNA Starlett for a month back in 2021 and found it to be superior to the LP in just about every way.

The Starlett was clearly better with my dynamic headphones (Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX, AKG K240 Sextett), but only slightly better with my inexpensive planars (Hifiman HE4XX, Fostex T60RP). Since I use the dynamic headphones most of the time I decided that the improvements with the Starlett over the LP justified the price of the Starlett ($2000). So I ordered one. For those interested in purchasing a DNA headphone amplifier, the current wait time is about 18 months.

Most of my cans are pretty easy to drive. I do have balanced cables for the LCD-X here and a set of balance cables for the 109pro coming next week. Since they are not hard to drive and I am not running these off of 100ft cables, I doubt I will notice much difference at all. But I guess I'm going to have to learn the lesson myself.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #4,197 of 5,150
[cross-posted from ‘Show Us Your Head-Fi Station’ thread] One of my favourite matches: Liquid Platinum with Audeze LCD-X (2016 vintage, old-style headband). This time, LP is sporting Siemens E188CC pair - breathtaking !

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #4,198 of 5,150
I have the DAC connected to Liquid Platinum via the rear balanced / XLR sockets. Most of the headphones that I use are plugged into the front balanced / XLR socket. The Grados, with their SE ‘fixed cables’, I have plugged into the front SE socket. They sound fine: airy, open, wide dynamics & soundstage. It also helps that the Grados are quite efficient (~ 99.5 dB/milliwatt).
But you can't get much movement on that dial. I used to top out at about 8:30, although I am a quiet listener. I found it a great amp with Focals and Hifiman's, but not so much with my beloved Grado's.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #4,199 of 5,150
• I think that there have been volume pot design adjustments in LP.
• Listening via Audeze LCD-X when using front XLR socket, volume knob is “10-11 o’clock”; via ZMF Auteur when using front XLR socket, volume knob is “12 o’clock”; via Grados when using front SE socket, volume knob is “11 o’clock”.
• In all cases, the DAC is connected to LP via the rear XLR sockets with XLR-terminated cables.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #4,200 of 5,150
LP is undeterred by high impedance dynamic headphones, too!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back