Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #4,081 of 5,150
I have LCD-2C and considering this amp. Is it enough power in it to drive the headphones, or do I need an additional amp? I recon balanced xlr is a must if I don’t have a balanced cable.
More than enough power those are efficient headphones.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #4,082 of 5,150
I have LCD-2C and considering this amp. Is it enough power in it to drive the headphones, or do I need an additional amp? I recon balanced xlr is a must if I don’t have a balanced cable.

The Liquid Platinum has more than enough power for the LCD-2 flavors. I've been using it with a LCD-2 rev 2 from 2011 and also a LCD-2 Classic.

What you have to keep in mind with this amp is that it is designed as a balanced amp using the balanced headphone output. The balanced headphone output doesn't just have more power than the single-ended output. It also has better sound quality and has the sound quality that the amp was designed for. The design of the particular balanced circuit in this amp is such that the balanced output really does sound better and measure better.

If you get the Liquid Platinum you're also going to need to buy a balanced cable for your LCD-2C. And also buy balanced cables for any other headphones you plan to use with the amp. Always plan on using the balanced headphone output. Put a piece of tape over the 1/4" single-ended output and pretend it isn't even there.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #4,083 of 5,150
The LP has ridiculously more power than the LCD-2C needs. But you really shouldn't use it without a balanced XLR cable. Dr. Cavalli, its designer, has stated that the amp is really designed only to be used from its balanced output and while a 6.3mm single ended output is provided as a convenience, the sound quality is inferior to the balanced output. (IIRC, the LP's manual states the same.)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #4,084 of 5,150
Not only that - but indiscriminate use of the SE output will trigger the protection circuitry. The white LED will turn red - hopefully not stay red…I never wanted to find out.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #4,085 of 5,150
I loved my LCD-2C with this amp. More than enough power for it. If you are considering this amp you should only be thinking about the balanced output, don’t bother if only using the SE output.

May 13, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #4,086 of 5,150
Do you guys have any recommendations for DACs for the Liquid Platinum. I'm purchasing one and wish to pair them with the hd800s.

So far I'm leaning towards schiit modi 3e

But don't know how that will affect the sound.

Also do you guys think the Liquid Platinum and the hd800s is a good pairing

May 13, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #4,087 of 5,150
Do you guys have any recommendations for DACs for the Liquid Platinum. I'm purchasing one and wish to pair them with the hd800s.

As for the DAC, I've had good results with a BF2 and the LP DAC that Monoprice released a couple of months ago. I think the LP DAC is overpriced, but they have some combos that make it better. I've also tried and Ares with it and liked it as well.

I believe the HD800 should pair well with the LP, but I didn't like the HD800 in general for my taste and music I listen to, so I can't really recommend or not recommend the pairing.

May 13, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #4,088 of 5,150

I Really enjoyed my LP with my BF2. I thought it was a great combo.

May 15, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #4,089 of 5,150
Hifiman Edition X, Liquid Platinum (Tesla E88CC), SMSL VMV D1se and iFi Zen Stream. The Teslas were $28 and I prefer them over the stock EH6922. But there are better and pricier options which I tend to prefer even more :beyersmile:

Hifiman Edition X, Liquid Platinum (Tesla E88CC), SMSL VMV D1se and iFi Zen.jpg

May 17, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #4,090 of 5,150

recently got a fiio k9 pro ess and used in pre mode to LP, and I like the sound better than using k9 as dac mode
So now I can freely switch between solid state and tube depend on my headphone....

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #4,093 of 5,150
Hi there,
joined the club with a modded version.

Pre-Amp + DAC: ADI-2 Pro FS R
XLR Connection.

I must admit the sound is pure magic. No need for B/T or EQ from ADI-2 Pro, just magic.
Yeah I did the cap mod and love the default sound. I tried several different NOS tubes and kept ending up with the Gold Lions in there. They are probably going to become increasingly rare now which stinks. Love these tubes. For DAC I use the SMSL m400 which has an AK chip in it (and has a balanced output). Really like that combo. On the warmer side of neutral for sure. The Gold Lions give it a good kick in the low frequencies and resolving top end. I had it paired with Ether 2s which sounded fantastic, but I recently swapped those out for some Meze Empyreans which are incredible on here. I the cable made a big difference with the Meze and this amp. Currently running them with a WyWire Platinum cable which gives them the speed and clarity I think they need with a warmer setup. I know there are better setups out there, but sometimes a track comes on and I'm like hmm I don't know how I'd make this one sound any better lol.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #4,094 of 5,150
They are probably going to become increasingly rare now which stinks.
Why? What happened to Genalex?

Tomorrow I will receive 8 Bugle Boys... read so much about them. After I used them all... they will be too expensive. Then I will use NOS Soviets from the Cold War.
Those Soviets sound really good. But even more fantastic with a little improvement from ADI-2 PRO FS R (improving Bass via B/T and little bit more clarity through little adjustment via EQ).
ADI-2 PRO FS R as DAC :heart::hearts::heart:

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #4,095 of 5,150
Why? What happened to Genalex?

Tomorrow I will receive 8 Bugle Boys... read so much about them. After I used them all... they will be too expensive. Then I will use NOS Soviets from the Cold War.
Those Soviets sound really good. But even more fantastic with a little improvement from ADI-2 PRO FS R (improving Bass via B/T and little bit more clarity through little adjustment via EQ).
ADI-2 PRO FS R as DAC :heart::hearts::heart:
Well shipping tubes from Russia isn’t as easy now… I noticed the inventory dried up for a bit and now the price is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back