Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #4,066 of 5,150
When the Liquid Platinum came out a few years back Monoprice was selling them like hotcakes. There were even people in Europe paying upwards of $1200 for LPs when adding VAT and other charges... Good luck with the Burson. They make nice headphone amp's too.
I have repeatedly said this about the playmate 2 it’s very holographic with my Focal Clear MG.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #4,067 of 5,150
I’m curious if anyone knows how the Liquid Platinum evolved from the Crimson which used only one 6922 and was single ended to the Platinum which is using two 6922 tubes and is balanced? There seems to be a Liquid Fire for sale for a pretty good price. Would it be worth “upgrading to it” since the Platinum is based on the Crimson which was an upgrade to the fire?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #4,068 of 5,150
I’m curious if anyone knows how the Liquid Platinum evolved from the Crimson which used only one 6922 and was single ended to the Platinum which is using two 6922 tubes and is balanced? There seems to be a Liquid Fire for sale for a pretty good price. Would it be worth “upgrading to it” since the Platinum is based on the Crimson which was an upgrade to the fire?
Dr. Cavalli has posts under the name runeight earlier on in this thread around the 15-30 page mark explaining the differences in design between the 2 amplifiers.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #4,069 of 5,150
Dr. Cavalli has posts under the name runeight earlier on in this thread around the 15-30 page mark explaining the differences in design between the 2 amplifiers.
I notice you have the OG crimson in your signature. I’ve read that it’s a faster less laid back sound than all his other amps. What do you like about yours compared to the LP? How’s the bass?

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #4,070 of 5,150
I notice you have the OG crimson in your signature. I’ve read that it’s a faster less laid back sound than all his other amps. What do you like about yours compared to the LP? How’s the bass?
Superior on a Technical Perspective both in speed, stage, imaging, transient response, biggest differences one would notice is in areas like extension and such where the Crimson is pretty much only limited by the source it presents a very holographic sphere. Bass response is exceptional but thats partly due to me using a Bricasti M1 as the DAC which helps make up for it, as while its tight and well rounded on its own it isnt the greatest option out there for purely slam so a DAC like a BF2 or at the utter most extreme like a Bricasti gives me better response especially in impact and slam in this region. Not that its lacking in any real sense I myself perfer that a bit more punchy than usual. Nonetheless the combination I have has been one of the best systems I have ever heard period. Crimson on its own compared to the LP isnt even a contest on which ones better in my case, I had compared them both for well over 3 months. *EDIT* Bass response for the HP-1 which on the proper system is the whole meme of what people THINK planar bass is sounds quite amazing in all respects on this system. To which I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to get ahold of an old HE-6 or LCD-4 to test it further so no complaints on it if I run it with Linear Filter on the M1. Which if im being honest is pretty much a requirement at this price range.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #4,071 of 5,150
Hey guys,

I recently picked up the Liquid Platinum out of curiosity and noticed the RCA outputs are a lot quieter than that of my DAC. Is this normal? If I plug one of my amps in direct from the dac, the volume is about at 8PM for it to start getting loud. With the Liquid Platinum's outputs, the other amp has to be at nearly 1PM. This is very strange. Any insight from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:
Seems the RCA input and outputs died entirely now. All I get is static out of the amp when on RCA input. well that completely sucks. I've only had the amp for two days.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #4,072 of 5,150
If anyone is interested, I am selling some 12au7/12at7 tubes from my stash. These tubes takes the LP to another level (must use with adapters though)

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #4,073 of 5,150
Hey guys,

I recently picked up the Liquid Platinum out of curiosity and noticed the RCA outputs are a lot quieter than that of my DAC. Is this normal? If I plug one of my amps in direct from the dac, the volume is about at 8PM for it to start getting loud. With the Liquid Platinum's outputs, the other amp has to be at nearly 1PM. This is very strange. Any insight from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:
Seems the RCA input and outputs died entirely now. All I get is static out of the amp when on RCA input. well that completely sucks. I've only had the amp for two days.
If you can, try a different set of tubes.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #4,074 of 5,150
If you can, try a different set of tubes.

Man do I feel extra stupid now. Nothing is wrong with the amp at all. I forgot I had the RCA input hooked up to my preamp and guess what? The preamp was turned all the way down. Man do I feel dumb but am very relieved.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #4,075 of 5,150
Man do I feel extra stupid now. Nothing is wrong with the amp at all. I forgot I had the RCA input hooked up to my preamp and guess what? The preamp was turned all the way down. Man do I feel dumb but am very relieved.
Ha, something similar has happened to all of us, I’m certain.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #4,076 of 5,150
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #4,077 of 5,150
Did anyone ever try the ECC804 in this amp?

ECC804.jpg

:)

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #4,078 of 5,150
We’re not laughing at you. We’re laughing with you remembering our own dumb moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back