Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 7, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,886 of 5,150
Anyone using this amp to drive the Susvara? I'm currently using this to drive my Arya and love the sound, but I planned on getting the Susvara soon and worry about not having enough power for it
I don't think it would do them right. My LP can get my HE6se V2's good and loud, but not make them really sing. I added a Schiit Loki which gave them some additional gain and some bass.

I might have been happy there but I actually another amp that drives them beautifully.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,888 of 5,150
I just recently replaced the capacitors on the LP and WOW it is a different amp. You can find details about doing it earlier in the forum and @ksorota actually was doing mods for people. They graciously gave me some tips via PM on cap options. If you can send yours off to get the mod done, or if you have a soldering iron and are feeling brave, don't hesitate to try it. I employed the help of my father who was visiting and is an excellent solderer and tinkerer. The sound is much more dynamic and detailed once you swap the caps. And the low end really expanded for my Ether 2s. I'm currently going Tidal - SMSL m400 - Liquid Platinum - Ether 2. Great combo now. I see a lot of these recent posts have been about EQ and I can tell you the capacitor mod makes things feel so much more dynamic and confident. And if you're looking for more richness in the low end and punch this will do it. If people are interested I can post pics of what things looked like inside / our experience getting the caps out and replaced.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,890 of 5,150
3C3D479A-E406-43C4-8EAF-D37F4CF368B7.jpeg
Somewhere on the forum there is a pretty good breakdown. I used the suggested Elna Silmic II.

You replace these:

3- 470uf by 63v

2 - 10uf by 25v

1 - 100uf by 25v

For the smaller one by the XLR (100uf by 25v) I used a nichicon finegold at that voltage. That was @ksorota’s suggestion for keeping more bass impact. I actually didn’t have that correct voltage when I first modded it so I put it back together with just elna ones swapped and left the OG 100uf 25v. That sounded pretty great too.

Not sure if @ksorota is still doing the mods, but if he is I think his price was great. He was super helpful and nice. My dad and I just wanted a fun headphone project to tinker with together. It was easy to open and get the board out, but the solder was super fast drying. We ended up heating the solder and slowly pulling the old caps out. Then doing the same process and pushing the new ones in to the heated solder. After they were in place we added a touch of new solder on top.

Here is a pic of where they sit on the board. There is one capacitor you don’t need to change in the middle because it is already good quality.

Attachments

• 4C28B194-1B17-4705-A3FB-D332952F5D32.jpeg
    4C28B194-1B17-4705-A3FB-D332952F5D32.jpeg
    867.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #3,891 of 5,150
Oh and sorry the DAC I’m using is the SMSL m400. I like it a lot. I was going back and forth between that and the ares ii, but I wanted MQA and more connectivity for my use case. Very satisfied with it. Not harsh or clinical in the treble region. Very complimentary and smooth.

Tubes I’m using are the 6922 Genalex Gold Lion. I swapped several different tubes and kept coming back to those for their smooth, rich presentation without sacrificing detail or dimension.

One thing to note about the solder. We didn’t have a desoldering braid on hand. That would probably have been less tedious than the pushing and pulling option, but as long as you don’t overheat components you’re fine. We had a solder sucker but couldn’t get a good vacuum seal on the plastic-coated board in time. This solder dries FAST. You blink and it is solid again.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #3,892 of 5,150
Keiths Cap Mod changed my LP into a giant killer tube amp. The new caps added so much more details on the top end and layers on the low end. The soundstage widened a bit too. Its a totally different amp now.

I recently switched to Schiit MJ2 and dont really use my LP anymore, however I do miss it. I have a classified listing of my Cap Modded LP if anyone is interested.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #3,893 of 5,150
Just got a liquid platinum on amazon used for $420! Came in the same day as my used LCD-3 that I just got for a steal as well. I am running this amp off a bifrost multibit(I purchased a bifrost 2 for balanced input to the amp but I am waiting for it to come in the mail.) What is the difference between the rca inputs on the back, one with the line and one with the circle? I'll only be using the rca input until my bifrost 2 comes in the mail. But I was just curious. The manual and website don't state anything about the circle or line rca inputs. Thanks

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #3,894 of 5,150
Just got a liquid platinum on amazon used for $420! Came in the same day as my used LCD-3 that I just got for a steal as well. I am running this amp off a bifrost multibit(I purchased a bifrost 2 for balanced input to the amp but I am waiting for it to come in the mail.) What is the difference between the rca inputs on the back, one with the line and one with the circle? I'll only be using the rca input until my bifrost 2 comes in the mail. But I was just curious. The manual and website don't state anything about the circle or line rca inputs. Thanks
Go to page 186 of this thread. It is a pass through output. It only works if you’re using the RCAs. So you can pass the signal through to something else, but not as a pre-amp. It isn’t doing anything to it. I’ve never messed with it.

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,895 of 5,150
Yeah, I did the cap mod on mine, quite some time ago. Probably been a year or so. I thought it improved the dynamics, bass and clarity. Pretty much across the board. Night and day? eh perhaps not, but definitely noticeable. And a very cheap and easy mod. I enjoyed it before, and I enjoy it more now. I used a different, recomended cap, for the smaller front one, but silmic's for the larger caps. Can't remember what cap I used up front, but it was the newer recommendation at the time.... think it was a MUSE FG cap. Muse and Silmic's are "expensive" caps when your making thousands of units. Im sure the designer did the best he could with the budget constraints. These replacement caps are simply, technically "better". They have better ESR characteristics, and measure better. How much of that translates to sonic quality is up for debate. But the mod is very "cheap" and pretty easy... 5$ "More" per unit, for caps that are esoteric, can add up to tens or hundreds of thousands of $$$ in manufacturing cost when multiplied by tens of thousands of units.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,896 of 5,150
Yeah, I did the cap mod on mine, quite some time ago. Probably been a year or so. I thought it improved the dynamics, bass and clarity. Pretty much across the board. Night and day? eh perhaps not, but definitely noticeable. And a very cheap and easy mod. I enjoyed it before, and I enjoy it more now. I used a different, recomended cap, for the smaller front one, but silmic's for the larger caps. Can't remember what cap I used up front, but it was the newer recommendation at the time.... think it was a MUSE FG cap. Muse and Silmic's are "expensive" caps when your making thousands of units. Im sure the designer did the best he could with the budget constraints. These replacement caps are simply, technically "better". They have better ESR characteristics, and measure better. How much of that translates to sonic quality is up for debate. But the mod is very "cheap" and pretty easy... 5$ "More" per unit, for caps that are esoteric, can add up to tens or hundreds of thousands of $$$ in manufacturing cost when multiplied by tens of thousands of units.
I heard a pretty big difference on the Ether 2s, but they are sensitive to changes.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,897 of 5,150

Awesome! You're doing well. Now just make sure you get a balanced headphone cable for the LCD-3. The Liquid Platinum is a balanced amp that was designed and optimized around a balanced circuit and output. So you need to use the balanced headphone output to get the most out of the amp and get the sound that it was designed for. Pretend that the 1/4" headphone jack on the amp doesn't even exist.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,898 of 5,150
Awesome! You're doing well. Now just make sure you get a balanced headphone cable for the LCD-3. The Liquid Platinum is a balanced amp that was designed and optimized around a balanced circuit and output. So you need to use the balanced headphone output to get the most out of the amp and get the sound that it was designed for. Pretend that the 1/4" headphone jack on the amp doesn't even exist.
Thanks for the reply! Yup that was the first thing I did as soon as I ordered the amp and headphones. I didn't even bother trying the stock cable haha. Thinking of doing cap mod but don't even know that I need to because I love the way the amp sounds right now. I did a cap mod on my little dot1+. Still waiting for my golden lion tubes to come in as well.

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #3,899 of 5,150
Thanks for the reply! Yup that was the first thing I did as soon as I ordered the amp and headphones. I didn't even bother trying the stock cable haha. Thinking of doing cap mod but don't even know that I need to because I love the way the amp sounds right now. I did a cap mod on my little dot1+. Still waiting for my golden lion tubes to come in as well.
It sounds great without the mod too. I really like those tubes. That is what I settled on after trying a bunch.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #3,900 of 5,150
Hey folks! I just ended up buying the LP at the current sale price because I was able to cop a B stock Verite Closed from ZMF over the weekend. Gonna be pairing this amp with a Bifrost 2 DAC which is gonna be a huge upgrade from my current magni/modi stack.

Reading in this thread, have the later units of the LP addressed the whole power issue I’m reading about now in regards to a power outage when the unit is turned on? If not, is the solve if I ever have an outage when the unit is on just to turn the unit off, turn off the power supply once power is back up and then the unit will “reset” to normal operation? I doubt I’d run into this situation often of course but always a bit worrisome to read about have dropping the cash on it of course :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back