Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #3,631 of 5,150
How do you like the topping D90?
I bought it recently, havent tried any hps with it yet. Only paired LX with LP just out of curiosity, but it was hissy on many songs. Although the pairing was highly anlitical as per staging, imaging and resolution, it was total analitical, but overall - dry signature (even the bass king LX !). Sold my LX to cash for a hp. So I will know then how D90+LP goes with hps.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,632 of 5,150
I bought it recently, havent tried any hps with it yet. Only paired LX with LP just out of curiosity, but it was hissy on many songs. Although the pairing was highly anlitical as per staging, imaging and resolution, it was total analitical, but overall - dry signature (even the bass king LX !). Sold my LX to cash for a hp. So I will know then how D90+LP goes with hps.
At this point I’m just using a node 2i as my dac but was looking at a d90 prior to the node 2i purchase. I have done the cap upgrade along with some 58 Holland amperex Bugle Boy d getters in my LP so far. I am now looking for some 12au7 Holland made Amperex ECC82 long plate foil d Getters that were recommended to me closer to the sound signature I am looking for. FWIW tubes make a subtle difference in LP sound sig due to it being a hybrid.
I tend to like things to the warm / fun side with a little body and slam without getting muddy.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #3,634 of 5,150
Could someone give me their opinion on how it works with a fostex or a ZMF Atticus.
Thanks a lot.

Which Fostex? I have a TH-X00 that I put Lawton chambers on. Sounds really great on MLP, especially if you have tubes that are warmer and smoother (the stock are like that). The Fostex biodyna treble can get hot so tubes that take some of the bite off up top are my preference for Fostex.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,635 of 5,150
Which Fostex? I have a TH-X00 that I put Lawton chambers on. Sounds really great on MLP, especially if you have tubes that are warmer and smoother (the stock are like that). The Fostex biodyna treble can get hot so tubes that take some of the bite off up top are my preference for Fostex.
Fostex th900.
Do you use stock tubes?
Thanks

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #3,636 of 5,150
Fostex th900.
Do you use stock tubes?
Thanks

Ooo. Nice can. I borrowed a Lawton'd TH-900 from a friend and it sounded really good on the MLP too. It will also scale up to even better amps.

I no longer use the stock tubes. My favorite set is Amperex PQ Gold Pin 6922. They have a really nice soundstage, awesome timbre, and a sweet, detailed, but not-sharp treble. A warning: they are getting really hard to find for any reasonable price these days. Stocks of them are going down to zero all over.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,637 of 5,150
Ooo. Nice can. I borrowed a Lawton'd TH-900 from a friend and it sounded really good on the MLP too. It will also scale up to even better amps.

I no longer use the stock tubes. My favorite set is Amperex PQ Gold Pin 6922. They have a really nice soundstage, awesome timbre, and a sweet, detailed, but not-sharp treble. A warning: they are getting really hard to find for any reasonable price these days. Stocks of them are going down to zero all over.
Yes I'm looking to reduce the sharp treble of my fostex.
Thanks

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #3,639 of 5,150
Showtime...

IMG_0084.jpeg

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #3,641 of 5,150
I'll start with Beyer T1.2 (shown in picture). Will take me several days to complete. I am also comparing to the Lyr 3 that I've had for a while and I'm familiar with. Ultimately, only one will survive :)

I already played the modded with the Modius (no pun intended) and I think the Modius was restricting and muddying the modded LP. Modius is up for sale and someone claimed it already. Admittedly, I didn't test it much, but since I decided to sell the Lyr 3, or the modded LP, whichever one is better, the Bifrost 2 will be the only DAC I need.

I have some other factors affecting my decision, though, so full disclosure: Other than the cans I own, music tastes, ears etc., I also own a Mjolnir 2, so the LP would be sharing the many pairs of 6922 variants I got from Wes. If I keep the Lyr 3, I'll need to maintain an arsenal of 6SN7s (which I also got from Wes btw). Sooooo, all else being equal, I'd keep the modded LP.

I don't want to post much before I'm finished, probably next week, but man, I can say I am impressed with the modded LP. I have not played with the LP much in order to determine if it's the mods or the LP, but I am impressed nonetheless. My other two amps are a MJ2 and a WA5-LE, so it's not like I don't know what quality sounds like.

Comparisons are a very lengthy process for me. I don't do A/B. I have to play the different combos for several days to get accustomed to the sound, try different headphones or tubes perhaps, but definitely train my ears to the sound. I also like a variety of music, so I have to spend quite some time to go through. In the end, whatever leaves the best impression to me will be a keeper. But I don't plug/unplug constantly.

Hopefully, my impressions will be helpful to the good folks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back