Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #3,616 of 5,150
There are mods the thing can take to supposedly improve performance, even the volume pot. I have a modded one and it's consistent.
Unknown consequences is key here. I don't know how it would effect the LP but I do know with other gear you run the risk of damage by tying the L and R - together on the balanced output. Not sure I'd be willing to risk it, but others here may know better.

I'd just invest in some balanced cables that don't short the signal. There are headphone amps that you can use these adaptors with, however, I would not chance it with the Liquid Platinum. Had mine for about a month now and really like it. Kind of impressive given that I have been comparing the LP to a DNA Starlett that I have been demoing, which is a terrific headphone amp that costs $2000. The Starlett is the better amp, however, costs 5 times more than I paid for the LP.

IMHO, the Starlett is worth the difference in price, however, the LP does surprisingly well at its price of $700 and really is a bargain at $400.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #3,617 of 5,150
I am thnking of trying the focal elex with LP. I am a bit sensitive to shouty mids harsh treble. Is there any chance Elex + LP can be a bad pair ?Looking for a good reasolution and imaging headphone under 1000.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,618 of 5,150
I am thnking of trying the focal elex with LP. I am a bit sensitive to shouty mids harsh treble. Is there any chance Elex + LP can be a bad pair ?Looking for a good reasolution and imaging headphone under 1000.
In that case, I have an experience pairing the LP and the Elex that I'd rather not share with you. Suffice it to say that I sold the Elex very shortly after that experience. In spite of that, I still think you should try auditioning the pairing for yourself and see how it goes, given how subjective such experiences, synergies, preferences, and "mileages" tend to be... Who knows, your experience might be different from mine...

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,619 of 5,150
In that case, I have an experience pairing the LP and the Elex that I'd rather not share with you. Suffice it to say that I sold the Elex very shortly after that experience. In spite of that, I still think you should try auditioning the pairing for yourself and see how it goes, given how subjective such experiences, synergies, preferences, and "mileages" tend to be... Who knows, your experience might be different from mine...
Good said... Thanks :)

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,620 of 5,150
is the LP your current amp? Have you rolled tubes?
I have the same issue with shouty mids and harsh treble on headphones.
It’s a slight stretch of budget but you could try the Radiance or wait for the new reveal from Focal my guess is it’s the Radiance in a non limited edition offering which should be cheaper than a limited edition headphone.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,621 of 5,150
is the LP your current amp? Have you rolled tubes?
I have the same issue with shouty mids and harsh treble on headphones.
It’s a slight stretch of budget but you could try the Radiance or wait for the new reveal from Focal my guess is it’s the Radiance in a non limited edition offering which should be cheaper than a limited edition headphone.
Yea, LP my only amp and Topping D90 as my DAC. I have not bought the Elex yet I am thinking of Elex or LCD 2 C. For tubes, I have the D Getters tubes. Do you have any other tubes to try to tame the harshness against bright headphones? (If the Elex can be bright)

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,622 of 5,150
Yea, LP my only amp and Topping D90 as my DAC. I have not bought the Elex yet I am thinking of Elex or LCD 2 C. For tubes, I have the D Getters tubes. Do you have any other tubes to try to tame the harshness against bright headphones? (If the Elex can be bright)
I own Utopia -- not sure how they compare to Elex for brightness, but I guess they're 'close'.

To me, my Siemens NOS tubes (E88CC, E188CC, CCa) reduced the brightness of my Utopia the most of all my 6DJ8/6922/ECC99/7308 variants.

Don't know if you're interested in running 12AU7 tubes (with an adapter) in your LP. If so, I can run through a few of those (I have several pair) to see if any do as well as the Siemens (which are ridiculously expensive these days).

Also, you might post this over on the LP Tube Rollers thread -- you might get an Elex-specific response there.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #3,623 of 5,150

I love my LP and My Elex's as a combo via XLR. I can listen to this combo for hours and days. All the treble, mids and bass that I could want. Of course we all hear differently.
I love these, the Sundara's and the HD660's out of my LP.

Also, I would put the Elex's Miles ahead of the LCD-2 Classic's. I have been using my new LCD-2 Classic's and trying to like them, but...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #3,625 of 5,150
@LCMusicLover thanks for the suggestion will lookup.

I love my LP and My Elex's as a combo via XLR. I can listen to this combo for hours and days. All the treble, mids and bass that I could want. Of course we all hear differently.
I love these, the Sundara's and the HD660's out of my LP.

Also, I would put the Elex's Miles ahead of the LCD-2 Classic's. I have been using my new LCD-2 Classic's and trying to like them, but...
Since you mentioned you own both, which tube you paired with LP ? You using any upgrade cables with the Elex ?

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #3,626 of 5,150

Since you mentioned you own both, which tube you paired with LP ? You using any upgrade cables with the Elex ?
Sorry perhaps I wasn’t clear — I own Utopia, not Elex. Piped up because I own LP & rolled through a bunch of tubes to find something to tame Utopia ‘sharpness’.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,627 of 5,150

I was quite happy with the stock tubes, but I decided to buy a set of Amperex tubes. I don't notice much difference.

I have been using the stock cables and while they are a bit annoying, they work fine.
However, I just received my cable set from Hart Audio Cables. I got three cables (3.5mm, 2-pin Senn and Audeze cable) and four connectors. Now I can put all the crappy factory cables back in their boxes. This package will cover six of my headphones and makes cable/connector management so simple!

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #3,628 of 5,150
However, I just received my cable set from Hart Audio Cables. I got three cables (3.5mm, 2-pin Senn and Audeze cable) and four connectors. Now I can put all the crappy factory cables back in their boxes. This package will cover six of my headphones and makes cable/connector management so simple!
Hart cables are great for the price!
I have replaced my Elex, HD600, Verum 1 and Vokyl's stock cables, and could not be happier. Great customer service as well :)

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #3,629 of 5,150
Read this entire thread and most of tube rolling so I picked this amp up last month for my LCD-2c and happy I did. Sounded ok with stock tubes, but once put some amperex orange globes in it really opened up. Ended up pairing it with my HE-560. What a great match!
Macbook Pro>wireworld silverstarlight 7>SU-8>balanced HE-560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back