Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #3,466 of 5,150
I don't know how I feel about rolling countless, ridiculously expensive NOS tubes in this amp. I've tried a couple of sets of nos tubes, Amperex A Frame, and another pair of 120$ nos tubes(7308? amperex).. I prefer stock tubes honestly. Perhaps I have not tried enough tubes. I did notice significant improvements across the board with the re-cap project, silmic's everywhere except the front cap is a muse. It's not really close in my case, I prefer the stock tubes, I prefered them before I modded, and even moreso after. I also have a pretty decent source attached (RME ADI-2) with Parametric EQ, which I used quite abit when the LP was stock with stock tubes, however, I really enjoy the way the LP sounds with no EQ now that it is modded. I don't find Silmic II's to be particular bright, they lean warm IMO, but less so then the panasonic's that are stock. I feel like the mod just improves the amp, on a technical, base level. Less distortion, less capacitor coloration, you can hear deeper into the sound, blacker background, and much better high's, bass is more punchy as well. I want tubes for sound stage, 3d, and some distortion, i couldn't really care less about their EQ profile as it's easily adjusted for.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #3,469 of 5,150
Yeah, I really like the LP so far, even when my DAP is acting as a DAC. In a mad rush to side-grade my chain to better pair with the Aeolus, I also picked up an A90 and, not gonna lie, I don't think it's for me. We'll see once my DAC arrives but the fact that really only works when run fully balanced, the lackluster preamp mode, as well as the low input voltage requirement, means I haven't gotten rid of my THX 789 yet. The sound quality from the A90 is very clean and smooth but lacks dimensionality that the Liquid Platinum has. In terms of detail it wins, but the overall sound is so sterile. Once I get the Ares II in, I'll be able to tell how much better these amps sound at 2.2v instead of 2.5v.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #3,470 of 5,150
Any confirmed cases that channel balance has improved with burn in or is it always the pot? I just got my LP and it is pretty much useless. Right side is barely audible until 10 o'clock and I have to go 12 to get perfect balance. I was wondering should I just contact monoprice or keep the amp running few days first.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #3,471 of 5,150
Any confirmed cases that channel balance has improved with burn in or is it always the pot? I just got my LP and it is pretty much useless. Right side is barely audible until 10 o'clock and I have to go 12 to get perfect balance. I was wondering should I just contact monoprice or keep the amp running few days first.

10:00 to hear the right channel is too high. I would get that amp replaced. I personally don't even turn the volume up over 9:00-9:30.

I feel like the channel imbalance in mine did improve a little, but on my amp the imbalance was pretty minor and the improvement might just be in my head.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #3,472 of 5,150

I bought one a month ago that had the same problem. Emailed them for an exchange and the new one is working as expected.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #3,473 of 5,150
Channel imbalance can be caused by tubes, so swap them left to right. If you still have the issue, it wont get better and is the volume unit. The first unit I had was perfect but the power supply went out. Subsequent 2 units had balance issues. 3rd unit is great, and has better range than the first one (first one had very little adjustment range). Annoying but the units carry a great warranty that Monoprice stands by.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #3,474 of 5,150

This is widespread with all current units. Sounds like you've got a REALLY bad one so I'd suggest an RMA or deciding if you can deal with it. I do mod quite a few LPs and all the newer ones that have hit my bench suffer this problem to a varying degree. The only way to avoid this is to use some sort of pre and keep your amp volume 12 o'clock+.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #3,477 of 5,150
I have Beyerdynamic T1 V2 and ZMF Aeolus. I find myself switching back and forth for my cans quite often coz i love them both. I am wondering if there is a good passive 4pin xlr switcher so that i don't have to pul the xlr jacks from LP that often? Thanks for suggestion.
Not that I could find, and I've searched extensively. You can find 'dual 3-pin XLR' switchers, but then you need dual 3-pin to single 4-pin adapters, times 3.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #3,478 of 5,150
I have Beyerdynamic T1 V2 and ZMF Aeolus. I find myself switching back and forth for my cans quite often coz i love them both. I am wondering if there is a good passive 4pin xlr switcher so that i don't have to pul the xlr jacks from LP that often? Thanks for suggestion.
There's sellers like Hart Audio Cables that sell interconnect cable systems so that you can switch between different types of headphone cables without pulling out the XLR connector from the LP's XLR jack. If you are handy with a soldering iron, then you can make your own: 4-pin XLR male jack - cable - 4pin minixlr female <> 4pin minixlr male - cable - dual 3 pin mini xlr jacks | 4pin minixlr male - cable - dual 3.5mm TRS jacks | etc.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #3,480 of 5,150

If it's any help, I've had my LP over 2 years since launch. I swap headphones a lot and the XLR connection on the amp is still snug and has a nice almost click when it seats and hits home. I don't think you have to worry unless you are going to swap headphones like 100 times a week or something constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back