Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #3,106 of 5,171
Yes, it seems to vary by unit.

Would love to see a premium build quality of this for $1299 in the same form factor and I/O. Sort of like a Liquid Crimson v2, with balanced input and smaller size from the original LC.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #3,107 of 5,171
There's someone who has already swapped out the stock pot. He mentioned it a few posts back. Maybe shoot him a pm for details.
Glad you got it sorted out. Pot replacement would be tricky as the pot uses a mounting board with a non standard layout so you'd need to get creative with mounting to pull it off. Also I am unable to identify the pot resistance so I'd need more info on it to attempt a swap. Honestly, not worth it if you've got a unit with a good one.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #3,108 of 5,171
I have no issues with the calibration of the pot in my new unit
Ditto; I got mine in May when a discount code brought the price down to $500, which is virtually as insane as $484. I usually am right around 10 o'clock (with the 300 ohm, just average sensitivity ZMF Aeolus), which one of the posters noted as a trouble spot. He also noted that imbalance persisted to around noon--I can't imagine many headphones can be played at noon on the LP without quickly bursting the listener's eardrums.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #3,109 of 5,171
I can tell you from experience that it is not easy... more to share in the near future!
You are such a tease! :wink:
I will wait for your notes on the pot upgrade...

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #3,110 of 5,171
Ditto; I got mine in May when a discount code brought the price down to $500, which is virtually as insane as $484. I usually am right around 10 o'clock (with the 300 ohm, just average sensitivity ZMF Aeolus), which one of the posters noted as a trouble spot. He also noted that imbalance persisted to around noon--I can't imagine many headphones can be played at noon on the LP without quickly bursting the listener's eardrums.
There is some suggestion that the gain has been reduced by some un-announced running Chang. I have no idea if it’s true.

But I agree with you regarding straight up on the volume pot. I run that way, but I’mattenuating between 25 and 35 dB on my passive preamp, depending on which cans and which tracks.

The only time I got above 10:00 o’clock-ish was when I was trying out HE-6se.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #3,111 of 5,171
So one thing that is not clear to me : Has anyone reported this irregular volume pot calibration defect to Monoprice, and if so, do they replace the defective unit if you ask them to?

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #3,112 of 5,171
So one thing that is not clear to me : Has anyone reported this irregular volume pot calibration defect to Monoprice, and if so, do they replace the defective unit if you ask them to?
I believe there were some replacements early on. And @runeight has posted about it, so they definitely know.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #3,113 of 5,171
I believe there were some replacements early on. And @runeight has posted about it, so they definitely know.

My unit is brand new from the 484 sale with this issue. Just arrived today :frowning2: They have a 30 day guarantee so, I'd assume so. I have to attenuate my source WAY down to enjoy the LP.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #3,114 of 5,171
My unit is brand new from the 484 sale with this issue. Just arrived today :frowning2: They have a 30 day guarantee so, I'd assume so. I have to attenuate my source WAY down to enjoy the LP.
I’d reach out —they should make it right w/ a replacement. Otherwise just return it — and try again?

BTW, the main reason I got my pre-amp is for remote volume control and source switching, although the ability to attenuate and have more useable range on the volume pot is nice. But with my current unit I don’t need to attenuate to avoid channel imbalance — and you shouldn’t either.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #3,115 of 5,171
There is some suggestion that the gain has been reduced by some un-announced running Chang. I have no idea if it’s true.

But I agree with you regarding straight up on the volume pot. I run that way, but I’mattenuating between 25 and 35 dB on my passive preamp, depending on which cans and which tracks.

The only time I got above 10:00 o’clock-ish was when I was trying out HE-6se.
I should have noted that I'm connecting to the LP via XLR from the Topping D90 in DAC mode, so the output is fixed at 4Vrms. If I connected via RCA (which would still allow use of the LP's balanced output), output would only be 2Vrms (common output for most DACs via RCA, I think) which should allow you to go higher on the pot. I haven't tried it so I can't say how much.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #3,116 of 5,171
I should have noted that I'm connecting to the LP via XLR from the Topping D90 in DAC mode, so the output is fixed at 4Vrms. If I connected via RCA (which would still allow use of the LP's balanced output), output would only be 2Vrms (common output for most DACs via RCA, I think) which should allow you to go higher on the pot. I haven't tried it so I can't say how much.
The LP converts SE to balanced, which causes the 2v to become 4v. Therefore, you won't notice any difference in input volume between 2v RCA input and 4v XLR. If you have the D90, you can simply lower the volume on it, it's one of the advantages it has. I switched my Qutest to 1v output with the LP, which allowed me to run between 12 and 2 on the volume pot with my A2Os.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #3,117 of 5,171
Third times the charm! Sorry you had such bad luck.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,118 of 5,171
Okay, I am sort of feeling weird about admitting this but I just caved and purchased one of the units (my second one) for use in my office. The weirdness arises from having other "adequate" amp options in the office already that are capable, but not as good as the LP (although the existing options could make the LP feel somewhat redundant or superfluous). On the other hand, my experience of the LP has convinced me with greater eloquence, that the $484 deal was too good to pass up under any sun, so the itchy trigger finger e eventually won the day. I know what I am getting, pretty much, so as long as Monoprice does not surprise me by delivering a unit with a glitchy volume pot, I should be okay. As for that feeling of weirdness, I am sure I'll get over it soon... The glorious sound of the LP itself will help with that.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,119 of 5,171
Could you guys recommend a test track for testing channel imbalance? My unit definitely has the volume bump between 8 & 10 o'clock (and, for now, I use low output on a chord mojo be able to use the 11-2 range). But I haven't heard a channel imbalance that bothered me. Of course, this may be my weak ears. So I'd like to focus harder, maybe with a track intended to discern channel differences. Any recommendations?

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #3,120 of 5,171
Could you guys recommend a test track for testing channel imbalance? My unit definitely has the volume bump between 8 & 10 o'clock (and, for now, I use low output on a chord mojo be able to use the 11-2 range). But I haven't heard a channel imbalance that bothered me. Of course, this may be my weak ears. So I'd like to focus harder, maybe with a track intended to discern channel differences. Any recommendations?
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back