Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #3,016 of 5,171
It will be really interesting to hear some thoughts on the differences between the LP revisions. I have an original one, and it has been rock solid great channel balance, but the gain is absolutely crazy on it. I have had a balanced pre-amp in my system ever since getting it, so gain has not been an issue (just set LP to 1-2 o'clock and control volume at the pre). It makes sense they changed the gain, but I never thought about how that may have affected overall performance.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,017 of 5,171
I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version because I have no issues with gain or channel balance at even the lowest volume levels. Is there any way to tell easily? What was the most recent version's serial number, if anyone has one? Might give us an idea of the range.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #3,018 of 5,171
I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version because I have no issues with gain or channel balance at even the lowest volume levels. Is there any way to tell easily? What was the most recent version's serial number, if anyone has one? Might give us an idea of the range.

If you can get past about 10-11 o'clock on the volume knob without your ears bleeding, you probably have the new one.

Seriously though, running without a preamp, I cannot comfortably get past 9 o'clock on the knob when driving 300 ohm headphones.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #3,019 of 5,171

I received mine two week ago. The serial numbers ends with 900325.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,020 of 5,171
Take a look at the photos i posted a page back. The sockets are diff between the two versions. What @Inoculator said is also true!

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3,021 of 5,171
Take a look at the photos i posted a page back. The sockets are diff between the two versions. What @Inoculator said is also true!
Didn't notice such an obvious visual difference in the sockets! I'll check mine to confirm after I turn it off for the day. Thanks for sharing all this new information about the amp!

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #3,022 of 5,171
Proud new owner of the LP and my first tube amp ever! Burning the tubes in now with a 10 hour YouTube version of xx's Intro (makes it easy to keep track of progress).

Had a few questions about this:

When installing the tubes, were they supposed to "snap" in? When I installed them, I kind of just inserted until it felt like it wouldn't go in further fearing I might break them or something.

What is this mod I'm hearing about to improve it drastically? I assume it's more involved than inserting a different set of tubes given people's concerns about the warranty.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,023 of 5,171
Proud new owner of the LP and my first tube amp ever! ...
Welcome!

To be clear, LP is a tube-hybrid, not a full tube amp. As a result, you shouldn’t expect the kind of massive changes with tube swaps like folks mention with other amps.
...When installing the tubes, were they supposed to "snap" in? When I installed them, I kind of just inserted until it felt like it wouldn't go in further fearing I might break them or something...
That’s right — there’s no ‘snap’. Just push until they stop. There are lots of pics showing fully inserted tube (in this thread and elsewhere).
...What is this mod I'm hearing about to improve it drastically? I assume it's more involved than inserting a different set of tubes given people's concerns about the warranty
Definitely not like tube swapping. The mod involves opening the case and replacing capacitors with beefier/higher quality ones. And will absolutely invalidate your warranty.

I would recommend getting to know the amp, and trying some tube rolls before you consider the mod.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #3,025 of 5,171
The Liquid Gold is not far away now, who here is going to get one?
You mean the Liquid Gold whose availability has regularly been pushed back a month every month or so since November of last year? That Liquid Gold? (It's now "scheduled" for late August, though I expect some time between now and then it will be scheduled for September. Unless you have some information the rest of us are not privy to.)

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #3,026 of 5,171
I don't have any interest in the Gold, but I am Very curious about the Platinum DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back