Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,972 of 5,150
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,973 of 5,150
Not sure how it happened...but I ended up with two LP's and now am trying to decide what to do with the second. If anyone is interested in purchasing my second one PM me. I can ship it off tomorrow. Otherwise, I might be able to loan it out to a few members who want to compare it to their stock version.

Best

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,974 of 5,150
Not sure how it happened...but I ended up with two LP's and now am trying to decide what to do with the second. If anyone is interested in purchasing my second one PM me. I can ship it off tomorrow. Otherwise, I might be able to loan it out to a few members who want to compare it to their stock version.

Best
Funny! I ended up with two LPs at one point as well ... but at least I know how it happened :beerchug:

Jul 12, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,975 of 5,150

Best
I’d love two... but I’d love to stay married.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,976 of 5,150
A little dust on the PCB. This is the Elna cap upgrade I did.
A BIG thank you to @ksoroto for coming up with this mod and choosing these Elna caps!!!!

IMG_1017.jpeg

What are the values of the caps that you replaced? I am thinking about trying this with mundorf caps?

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #2,977 of 5,150
Newbie question, with upfront apologies.
Why do the two XLR connections in the images look different? Both are from the liquid platinum, but there's a little bit of metal in one that's missing from the other. What's the purpose? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 8.56.19 AM.jpg
IMG_7086.jpeg

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #2,979 of 5,150
Newbie question, with upfront apologies.
Why do the two XLR connections in the images look different? Both are from the liquid platinum, but there's a little bit of metal in one that's missing from the other. What's the purpose? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 8.56.19 AM.jpgIMG_7086.jpeg
These are two different LPs?

The picture on the left shows 'locking' XLR jacks/receptacles . When you insert the male XLR, there's a 'click' and then the cables won't come out unless you press the release (lever, tab, mechanism ... whatever you call it). Some equipment use them, others don't. For example, The Jot & Mjolnir from Schiit do not, nor do Cayin amps. My ECP DSHA-3F doesn't have them either. Conversely, Benchmark HPA4 does.

It's just a design choice. I skimmed through some images of the LP, and it appears that pictures of LPs in the wild do not have the locking/release mechanism. The pictures I see which do include them all appear to be drawn from the Monolith site, which had some 'pre-release' photos, presumably of a prototype. I'll have to go home and look at mine, as I honestly don't recall whether or not my has the locking/release thingees.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,981 of 5,150
Thanks, @Clemmaster ! [Not sure I follow the spoiler, ?] But that makes sense. Thanks.

@LCMusicLover, you are right. One is from the website, the other (without the locking) is from real life. I thought I'd seen the locking ones IRL picture too, but I was probably mistaken. Thanks, both.
I asked the same question when I got mine. I imagine it had something to do with cost savings. As far as I know, the locking XLR inputs never actually made it's way out in the wild.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #2,982 of 5,150
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,983 of 5,150
I asked the same question when I got mine. I imagine it had something to do with cost savings. As far as I know, the locking XLR inputs never actually made it's way out in the wild.

I was about to write and state that mine has those. Then I looked and it was the Violectric that has them.
Always look before you speak. :ksc75smile:

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #2,984 of 5,150
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,985 of 5,150
So this cap mod, and the LP going to another level of performance is really getting to me. I can't stop thinking about how freaking amazing it sounds, and it is making my days at work seem even longer. I start thinking about the LP pretty much the second I wake up, and then every couple of minutes throughout the day. I just want to get home and fire that thing up! Is it 5:00 pm yet? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back