Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2,746 of 5,150
I owned the Pendant and LP at the same time. Admittedly I didn’t do a lot of tube-rolling with the LP but that was because I thought the Pendant was a better amp in just about every way. It’s got a lot of power, way more tube-rolling options, plays well with lots of different headphones, and has a sound that is almost hybrid-like in its speed, detail retrieval and sonic presentation. It’s much more expensive though! But it’s built with a level of craftsmanship and care that the LP can’t approach. It speaks highly of the Cavalli though that it is still in the conversation with tube amps costing a lot more.
I haven't heard the Pendant, but as mentioned earlier in the thread have experience with a wide array of tube amps, including Leben, Woo, Eddie Current and Blue Hawaii to name some.
And the Liquid Platinum surpasses them all in my system.
The level of textured detail retrieval along with Slam is something one cannot stop listening.
Don't get me started on the imaging and soundstage.

I'am usually in the more expensive the better camp, but not in the case of the Liquid Platinum. This is Head-Fi's best kept secret. Lets try and maintain that!

May 1, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2,747 of 5,150
So i have had my LP for two days. Used the stock tubes for two days. Then switch to Golden lion match pair. Much smoother. Im still burning in this amp. So far. Really good. Lively and not to dry. Very good balanced sound stage. I wanted to buy this amp to drive really hard Planars. Balanced

m usicguy

May 2, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #2,748 of 5,150
So i have had my LP for two days. Used the stock tubes for two days. Then switch to Golden lion match pair. Much smoother. Im still burning in this amp. So far. Really good. Lively and not to dry. Very good balanced sound stage. I wanted to buy this amp to drive really hard Planars. Balanced

m usicguy
Nice! Roll some even better NOS tubes, and you will really be surprised. This amp and hard to drive planers, go together like peanut butter and jelly. There is a magical synergy with my ZMF Ori, that blows me away every time I listen.

May 2, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #2,749 of 5,150
Sounds like a great seller! I have him saved now. I like to keep record of good tube dealers on ebay, and this guy just got added to the list. Not sure about the transconductance numbers getting better when broken in, but the sound sure can change for the better. :wink:
D-Getters (Sylvania) arrived, and they do not disappoint at all. The weight, extension, and tactility of the bass notes are what jump out at me out of the box. I also like the additional tactility of drum kicks. The highs are clear too, but it is going to take a little while for me to understand their character better, in comparison with those of my other favorites, such as the '56-59 gold pin/gold rod telefunkens. So far I am seeing no obvious downsides and I think that's already great. Does my seller's claims about their improvement with hours of burn-in check out with you, in your experience with these tubes?

May 3, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #2,750 of 5,150
D-Getters (Sylvania) arrived, and they do not disappoint at all. The weight, extension, and tactility of the bass notes are what jump out at me out of the box. I also like the additional tactility of drum kicks. The highs are clear too, but it is going to take a little while for me to understand their character better, in comparison with those of my other favorites, such as the '56-59 gold pin/gold rod telefunkens. So far I am seeing no obvious downsides and I think that's already great. Does my seller's claims about their improvement with hours of burn-in check out with you, in your experience with these tubes?
Nice! Like most NOS tubes, they will sound their best after about 30-50 hours of use.

May 3, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,751 of 5,150
One week with my stock tubes and I LOVE this amp. Every other amp, except my tube, seems like it might as well leave. Today, I am going to try my Amperex tubes.

I am currently listening to my Fostex TH-610's. This is the best that they have ever sounded. Tomorrow I will be installing a driver tune-up from Lawton. I passed on new cups as they are not cheap and I am still not sure I love these headphones. They even sound good out of the SE output. I ordered a balanced cable from Periapt. Not a bad price ($99.00), until you start converting everything to Canadian dollars. :smile:

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,753 of 5,150
How hot does your Platinum get? Mines pretty toasty. For me it's one of the toastiest I've owned. Lol

It gets very hot. I have a tube amp but the only things that gets hot on that are the actual tubes.

May 11, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #2,755 of 5,150
I'd say my LP get warm (it is in the open) NOT hot. The tubes can get hot but not the chassis.
I am primarily using 12AU7's, WE 396A and Tube Monger Mini Mullards that don't get hot at all and on ocassion some 6922 / 7308 / 6DJ8 types.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #2,756 of 5,150
The tubes do get hot as they should, but the chassis itself only gets a bit warm to the touch. Never alarmingly hot. My Uptone Audio Etherregen and its LPS 1.2 power supply both sit next to the LP, and sometimes even on top of it, and they both get much, much, hotter than anything the LP's chassis might work up or muster while in use. My LP itself sits in wide open space, and has plenty of air moving around it at all times, and that should be taken into account, even though the same air does not seem to do much for or against the heat that the Uptone Audio units generate while in use.

Might the temperature of the chassis depend on the type of accessories in use (in this case tubes, and/or power supply) ? That is certainly possible, but I do not have enough expertise on the subject to make that call in a definitive way,

@runeight would certainly know more about this..

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #2,759 of 5,150
Doing some rolling atm. Has anyone given the CBS 5814a a whirl? It's a ridiculously good tube. In the process of comparing them and a pair of 59 Heerlen 7316 large O getter(thanks Bill!)
Have more toobs incoming as well. Lol
20200512_191656.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back