Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,756 of 5,150
I think @TK16 is referring to me... I bought a pair that tests really good from a very reputable eBay seller, and 1 channel was VERY noisy.
Long story short, the seller sent me 2 additional tubes, and of the 4 - I managed to create 1 pair that is very quiet. I am happy with my WE396A pair :wink:
Did you have to send the others back? He is a great seller.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,757 of 5,150
Did you have to send the others back? He is a great seller.
Yes, I already shipped the "extra" 2 back.
My only regret is that I never tried the noisy ones on my CTH. I wonder how sensitive CTH to noisy WE396A is... oh well - I am very happy, and the seller is absolutely great!!

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,758 of 5,150
Received my Cavalli Liquid Platinum last night and was eager to test with my HiFiMan Susvara.

Unfortunately not a better pairing than just driving my Susvara from the speaker taps of my Nad BEE 316c.

Susvara requires too much juice. I was using single ended input from my macbook headphone jack (don’t try to shame me - RME ADI-2 is otw)

Balanced out to Susvara. Have to set the volume of LP to 12 to 2 to get a reasonable listening level, but it crisp, clean and too lean. Much too bright to turn vol up more to add more meat.

The NAD is tad warmer, smoother but just as clean with more meat.

For me to get the headphone amping I want, I’d need to spend big bucks on somethinf like a luxman p-750.

Much better value in using a vintage marantz and drive susvara from speaker taps.

The Liquid Platinum is very revealing of your source. Your source is terrible.

To properly drive that $6000 pair of headphones, be prepared to spend as much on your amp and dac combo. Most people with those cans probably have closer to 5 figures into their amp and dac (or turntable).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #1,759 of 5,150
Crazy, that i just read this, after having a 2 hour session with my Lyr 3. I had a freaking blast, and the whole time kept thinking to myself, how awesome this amp is. Really fun sound, with just the right amount of detail and smooth. I love my Lyr 3, just as much as my LP. They are both great amps, and i think the Lyr 3 is more versatile and almost as good. They compliment each other well.
This is the point to which I have arrived. Add to the mix ECP Audio DSHA-3F and I have my Tres Amigos. Three complimentary amps each offering auditory delights with three distinct presentations.

What kind of TRS cables do you guys use to connect to DACs?

I use Mogami Gold for my XLR mics. They are excellent but I wonder if I need to spend $50 a pop on cables for my headphone amp. I’m sure people spend tons more. But I’m an artist so I’m not overly liquid.
Balanced I use Belden 1800F digital audio cable with Neutrik connectors as found at Markertek. Bell Labs determined many years ago that baseband audio is best transported with 90 ohm cable. Digital audio cable is 110 ohms. My own measurements using a pulse generator and high speed 16 bit oscilloscope have demonstrated to me how well audio transients are preserved by Belden 1800F. About $46/pair for Sescom at Markertek for 1 foot:
https://www.markertek.com/product/1800f-xmf-1/belden-high-flex-aes-ebu-xlr-cable-1-foot-black

Unblanced I have settled on AudioBlast HQ-1 with Rean RCA connectors, about $15/pair on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AUDIOBLAST-F...07CVWDTNR/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Liquid Platinum is very revealing of your source. Your source is terrible.
Exactly. Let me repeat @Luckbad . Liquid Platinum is very revealing of the source. It is my first pick headphone amp for source evaluations / comparisons.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #1,760 of 5,150
It's definitely revealing. It spares no bad recording. After some further testing today, I still find it a little bright and wish it left me more headroom. I'll probably hang on to it until my RME ADI-2 DAC arrives and see how they work together.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #1,761 of 5,150
Received my Cavalli Liquid Platinum last night and was eager to test with my HiFiMan Susvara.

Unfortunately not a better pairing than just driving my Susvara from the speaker taps of my Nad BEE 316c.

Susvara requires too much juice. I was using single ended input from my macbook headphone jack (don’t try to shame me - RME ADI-2 is otw)

Balanced out to Susvara. Have to set the volume of LP to 12 to 2 to get a reasonable listening level, but it crisp, clean and too lean. Much too bright to turn vol up more to add more meat.

The NAD is tad warmer, smoother but just as clean with more meat.

For me to get the headphone amping I want, I’d need to spend big bucks on somethinf like a luxman p-750.

Much better value in using a vintage marantz and drive susvara from speaker taps.
You may want to try HeadAmp GSX mini when they launch. They had the amp with Susvara to demonstrate the amp power in CANJAM NY and I found the pairing very good.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #1,762 of 5,150
It's definitely revealing. It spares no bad recording. After some further testing today, I still find it a little bright and wish it left me more headroom. I'll probably hang on to it until my RME ADI-2 DAC arrives and see how they work together.
Could not hurt, to roll a warmer tube, buy not sure that will get you all the way, where you want to be.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #1,763 of 5,150
Ah... Returned to it's rightful place. Welcome back friend.

IMG_20190304_152626.jpg

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #1,764 of 5,150
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,765 of 5,150
Wow! Man you have got some amps!

:smile: Yea, tell me about it. Pretty soon though most will be leaving. What makes the cut is going to be the hard part.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,766 of 5,150
:smile: Yea, tell me about it. Pretty soon though most will be leaving. What makes the cut is going to be the hard part.

I can tell right off the bat the Crimson will be the first to go. You have the Milo and other beautiful amps. I guess if I have to I'll buy it off you.

The things I do for other head-fiers...

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,767 of 5,150
I can tell right off the bat the Crimson will be the first to go. You have the Milo and other beautiful amps. I guess if I have to I'll buy it off you.

The things I do for other head-fiers...

Wow, such a generous guy!

I did have a chance to do some ABing of the Crimson and Liquid Platinum today. While the Crimson is definitely the better amp in almost every aspect, the LP is not that far off. Considering it's reduced size, better rolling options and cost, the LP is possibly the best bang for your buck amp on the market.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,769 of 5,150
Ah... Returned to it's rightful place. Welcome back friend.

Tell me if you sell it. I miss mine. After going through hell to get one (including getting a bunch of money stolen), I ended up selling mine when my old car died. Wish I'd just eaten the cost and kept it forever.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,770 of 5,150
I am here to report another great pairing.

I feel like i finally heard, what my Alpha Prime are supposed to sound like! I have been using my Ori, since the begining, and have been loving it. However, i have to say, the A.Prime scale as goood or better. I was hearing sounds dancing around my head, with the most 3 d like effect and largest stage I have ever encountered yet. At one point, i stood up and had to sit back down, because i got dizzy. I literally felt like i was on stage. The tone is hauntingly lifelike. The Alpha Prime are still a magical headphone and the LP with Brimar tubes, really makes them sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back