Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,741 of 5,150
I'm on my 3rd pair of WE396A. First pair was too noisy, second pair sounds OK, trying another set now from a later year, thin script on the glass. Have got 3 different pairs of adaptors, so far the best one is a black one from China. The garage1217 pair, one side just didn't work sadly.

I like the sound of the 396A in my XiangSheng DAC DA-05B which is hooked up to my gaming PC, tube RCA outputs to powered speakers. Hope to get a low noise pair in to see if I like them with my headphones.

The WE396A glow. I love how those tubes light up!

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,742 of 5,150
I'm on my 3rd pair of WE396A. First pair was too noisy, second pair sounds OK, trying another set now from a later year, thin script on the glass. Have got 3 different pairs of adaptors, so far the best one is a black one from China. The garage1217 pair, one side just didn't work sadly.

I like the sound of the 396A in my XiangSheng DAC DA-05B which is hooked up to my gaming PC, tube RCA outputs to powered speakers. Hope to get a low noise pair in to see if I like them with my headphones.

1 headfier in the LP rolling these had an experience just like you with the WE tubes. Not sure if I'm correct but the 2C51 family has a slightly higher amplification factor than 6922, 6N23P and 6N3P have roughly the same amplification factor or a little less, don't remember off hand. Think the high gain on the LP coupled with higher than 6922 variants gain may be the problem, this is no way confirmed just my opinion and may or may not be true. Maybe someone with better knowledge can explain it.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,743 of 5,150
I know everyone is acting like LP is a clear upgrade from Lyr. But I'm a little worried about some bullying of Schiit in this thread. These are Steve Guttenberg's thoughts on Lyr vs LP, and I tend to agree with almost everything he writes:

"The Lyr 2 was awfully good, the sound was palpable with terrific dimensionality, but it was no match for the Liquid Platinum's transparency. The Lyr 2 darkened treble detail, and dynamics were reduced, but the overall sound was still delicious with the Z1R. I'd call it a tie between these two amps."

And this is about the Lyr 2. I'm more into pleasure than detail. The idea of sacrificing some "dimensionality" for "transparency" is more of an audiophile preference than I usually go in for. Maybe LP is technically a "better" amp, but maybe Lyr is more my taste.

Any thoughts? Not really sure when I would have a chance to demo these amps, and I need to make a decision soon for my upcoming Atticus . . .

Thanks!!!

Think of it as a holistic combination of your equipment and headphones. If you have a single ended DAC, you can pass up the Liquid Platinum and go with an amp that's single ended. I was really surprised how well the HD650 sounded out of the MCTH and was even more surprised how well it paired with the Atticus. The MCTH falls a on the brighter side with the default tube and pairs well with the Atticus' darker nature. That's a cheap $250 amp that has great synergy with those headphones. If you're looking to add planars in the future then you can pick between the Lyr 2 or Lyr 3. I'd also point out that the Atticus is bit picky with the amp pairing. I had to roll several days worth of tubes on the Mjolnir 2 until I found the right pair that brought out what the headphone could do.

If you have a balanced DAC and are thinking about adding planars to your stable then the LP is a good buy. A DAC like the Gugnir Multibit sounds better out of the balanced outputs compared to the single end outputs.

Really, any of these amps are a good buy and you're able to roll tubes to change the sound to taste. It depends what you're willing to spend and what equipment you currently own.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,745 of 5,150
Thanks for all the feedback!!!

So I have the Clarett, and technically it is balanced. I’m not sure it has that great a DAC, but I can use it until I get a dedicated headphone DAC.

Wes, I kind of hate you. Because you are really making me want both!!! Oh well. The joys (and pain) of being a burgeoning audiophile.

And Phant, CTH does seem to have some magic synergy with Atty from all accounts. Probably the light/dark combo. But I am planning on picking up an Ananda down the line, so Lyr appeals for its versatility.

Basically, I need all 3. Oy.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #1,746 of 5,150
What kind of headphones would be too sensitive?
I have very little useable range on the volume with my Utopia when I take my preamp out of the chain (DAC ==> LP ==> Utopia). ‘All the way down’ is like 7:00, and 9:00 is close to unlistenably loud.

I’ve got a passive preamp inbound as I noticed some coloration with my active preamp. Didn’t mind it with my SS amps, but dislike it with the LP.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,747 of 5,150
What kind of TRS cables do you guys use to connect to DACs?

I use Mogami Gold for my XLR mics. They are excellent but I wonder if I need to spend $50 a pop on cables for my headphone amp. I’m sure people spend tons more. But I’m an artist so I’m not overly liquid.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,748 of 5,150
They are like 2 night lights, brightest shining tubes I ever used. Really breathtaking in dark room. Have you tried any of them in the
LP to test for noise?
I have not tested anything with adapters yet in LP, because i dont plan on taking out the Brimar CV2492, anytime soon. That tube is it for me.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,749 of 5,150
What kind of TRS cables do you guys use to connect to DACs?

I use Mogami Gold for my XLR mics. They are excellent but I wonder if I need to spend $50 a pop on cables for my headphone amp. I’m sure people spend tons more. But I’m an artist so I’m not overly liquid.
You really don't need exotic cables. It's a final frontier type upgrade (usually just a sidegrade) that is pointlessly expensive until your entire system is high end and dialed in. If you can't make your own cables, just get something Blue Jeans Cables or if you have a pair of those Mogamis at the same length, use those. Most of my (custom built) cables are just Mogami Neglex with Neutrik XLR. I stopped myself at Gotham Audio cables (great and not terribly expensive) with KLE adapters.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm
http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/cableassemblies.htm

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,751 of 5,150
Received my Cavalli Liquid Platinum last night and was eager to test with my HiFiMan Susvara.

Unfortunately not a better pairing than just driving my Susvara from the speaker taps of my Nad BEE 316c.

Susvara requires too much juice. I was using single ended input from my macbook headphone jack (don’t try to shame me - RME ADI-2 is otw)

Balanced out to Susvara. Have to set the volume of LP to 12 to 2 to get a reasonable listening level, but it crisp, clean and too lean. Much too bright to turn vol up more to add more meat.

The NAD is tad warmer, smoother but just as clean with more meat.

For me to get the headphone amping I want, I’d need to spend big bucks on somethinf like a luxman p-750.

Much better value in using a vintage marantz and drive susvara from speaker taps.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,752 of 5,150
1 headfier in the LP rolling these had an experience just like you with the WE tubes. Not sure if I'm correct but the 2C51 family has a slightly higher amplification factor than 6922, 6N23P and 6N3P have roughly the same amplification factor or a little less, don't remember off hand. Think the high gain on the LP coupled with higher than 6922 variants gain may be the problem, this is no way confirmed just my opinion and may or may not be true. Maybe someone with better knowledge can explain it.

Well, looks like pair #2 makes the cut. Third set of 396A was just as noisy as the first. This pair, I can pause music and crank volume to max without hearing any noise whatsoever.

IMG_20190303_034607.jpg

Square getter, same batch with date code 5839

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,753 of 5,150
Well, looks like pair #2 makes the cut. Third set of 396A was just as noisy as the first. This pair, I can pause music and crank volume to max without hearing any noise whatsoever.

Square getter, same batch with date code 5839
Glad that worked out, my noisy pair is excellent testing 1948/1949 that I used for hundreds of hours in my Lyr2, MJ2, and dac without issue. Think your noisy pairs would of been fine in a different amp.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,754 of 5,150
Crazy, that i just read this, after having a 2 hour session with my Lyr 3. I had a freaking blast, and the whole time kept thinking to myself, how awesome this amp is. Really fun sound, with just the right amount of detail and smooth. I love my Lyr 3, just as much as my LP. They are both great amps, and i think the Lyr 3 is more versatile and almost as good. They compliment each other well.
I agree that Lyr 3 is really good. I do feel like LP is a step up.
Since I really love both - I am keeping both! :wink:

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #1,755 of 5,150
I think @TK16 is referring to me... I bought a pair that tests really good from a very reputable eBay seller, and 1 channel was VERY noisy.
Long story short, the seller sent me 2 additional tubes, and of the 4 - I managed to create 1 pair that is very quiet. I am happy with my WE396A pair :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back