Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,368 of 5,171
I'm really surprised this amp hasn't gotten more attention. It really can compete with the high-end amps, even with just stock tubes. I tried this on my main system with a Gungnir Multibit and also with a Massdrop x Grace SDAC (fed through a Wyrd) with several different headphones.

And this goes without saying, but I'm no pro, nor does my hearing represent any kind of average, etc. YMMV.

Overall Thoughts:
  • First of all, if you're looking for that rich tubey sound, this is NOT the amp for you (at least with the stock tubes; I have not tried any tube rolling). With the stock tubes, the sound is pretty neutral, just leaning a little bit on the warm side, but not much.
  • If you're coming from a budget amp and this is your first foray into the mid-high priced amps, this will blow you away. It's head and shoulders above amps like the Magni 3, Liquid Spark, Atom, etc. in pretty much every category.
  • More than adequate power to drive any headphone I threw at it (unsure about something like the HE-6 because I don't have one at my disposal.
  • For some reason, less fatiguing than the Schiit amps I own, especially when it came to listening to some modern pop. Not sure why I think so.
  • Loses a lot by using the SE out. If you're considering buying this, pretend the SE out doesn't exist. It's worse in every sonic category.
  • Does seem to be better balanced-in, but I'm not sure if that's just the Gungnir MB being better balanced. The difference is incredibly small and might be subject to expectation bias; completely confident in saying I'd spectacularly fail a ABX test.
Listening Impressions:
  • Soundstage has great width, but is not necessarily that deep. I'm not certain, but I think my Lyr 3 has a deeper stage (I will try to put the Liquid Platinum on the main system with the Lyr for a more direct comparison and update this post accordingly). However, it is not bad in this area; just not excellent.
  • Extension in the bass and treble areas seems excellent. I don't hear any discernable roll-off.
  • I do feel this amp sounds leans towards being polite, but it exudes musicality and has a fantastic, smooth timbre.
  • Bass sounds well-controlled, easily on par or better than the Lyr 3. Good differentiation in pitch and notes have satisfying texture.
  • Mids are wonderful. Not sure I would say the sound is liquid, but it is smooth and has this sort of airy quality. Unsure of how to describe this entirely, but this is easily my favorite part of its sound.
  • The treble almost has this ethereal quality at times that I find turns my brain into mush and I love it.
Notes on Headphone Pairings (keep in mind I have not listened to every available headphone):

• For those with low impedance, high efficiency headphones like the Focal Clear, this might not be the best pairing unless you're willing to attenuate the signal either via preamp or digital. For reference, I find it ear-splitting loud at just under 9 o'clock on the dial with the HD 6XX. On the upside, I don't detect any real channel imbalance on my model even when staying pretty low (under 8:00) on the pot.
    • It's worth noting here that the SE output will help with flexibility on the pot with the really efficient stuff; however, the sound just suffers in every category. As noted before, I really don't recommend this.
  • For the HD 6XX (and I presume the HD 650), this amp definitely pairs really well. The experience gains soundstage and the highs/air will mitigate the "veil/fogginess" that the unmodded HD 6XX can have.
  • This will NOT tame any headphones that you find too bright. Remember, this amp is more neutral than anything else. Maybe tube rolling would make this pair better in that case. That being said, it's a decent pairing with the HD 800S, but I find that this headphone somewhat accentuates the somewhat flatter stage of the Liquid Platinum. Again, different tubes might fix this.
  • Really fantastic with any planar magnetic I tried. I had a good time with any Audeze (A-grade ones at least; I loved my 2016 LCD-3 through these), and the two Hifimans (HE-4XX, HE-5) also seemed to be powered well. Doesn't seem to quite eliminate the sensation of the three-blob stage that some of them can have, but definitely much improved. The Hifiman headphones in particular lost a lot of the plasticky timbre that I hate.

Spectacular job Dr. Alex Cavalli! Now if I can just get my grubby mitts on a Liquid Crimson to compare directly....

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #1,369 of 5,171
Only info so far from a pm I received was that the 6201 do not work in the LP. For whatever reason they create noise in the circuit. I believe there's a few that have gone the 396a route with success. No word on 6C8G. Lol
Pardon the old quote bro, have you heard any official/unofficial stance on rolling 2C51/396A, 6N3P? In addition to ECC81, 6201 etc. With adapters? Thanks bro.

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #1,371 of 5,171
@ChaChaRealSmooth thx for the quick review of it. I was hoping the LP would have that rich tube sound but since it does not I shall look elsewhere
It gets tubier if you move away from stock tubes -- I don't have enough recent experience with tube amps to say how tuby.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #1,372 of 5,171
The Amperex PQ and LP create the most beautiful textured, smooth and open sounding midrange. The first thing that jumped out at me was the tone. Everything sounds more lifelike, than from the lyr 3. This amp is a keeper! Now back to the music and breaking this baby in . . .

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,373 of 5,171
Only info so far from a pm I received was that the 6201 do not work in the LP. For whatever reason they create noise in the circuit. I believe there's a few that have gone the 396a route with success. No word on 6C8G. Lol
Deal breaker for me then, as you know the 6201PW Hamburg are my favorite tubes. Thanks.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,374 of 5,171
That was probably me @Guidostrunk - 2C51/396A 50s Foton Triple micas are very nice in the LP. I tried a variety of 12AT7/6201/ECC81 and all exibited audible noise to varying degrees however the 12AU7/ECC82 work very well and Telefunken smooth plate 12AU7s are exceptional in the LP. Talking with one of your fellow Lyr tube rollers, we concluded it was likely a gain issue with the 6201s

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,376 of 5,171
Why are we putting 12-volt heater tubes in an amp designed for 6-volt heaters?

Double triodes of the 12AU7 family have a center-tapped filament for use in either 6.3V 300mA or 12.6V 150mA heater circuits.

This does mean they require an adapter

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,378 of 5,171
Double triodes of the 12AU7 family have a center-tapped filament for use in either 6.3V 300mA or 12.6V 150mA heater circuits.

This does mean they require an adapter

Im a huge fan of Telefunken sound,and am considering this amp. Can you share what adapter is required to use them in the LP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back