Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 22, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,336 of 5,150
Can someone with this product just tell me , how does it sound compared to a true OTL tube amp like the dark voice or the little dot mk3? Cause I am planning to get it , but I wanna since its a hybrid AMP how much of that 'tube' sound signature does it give? Cause I really want that 'tube' sound. I don't mind getting the dark voice or little dot mk3 as my first tube OTL AMP but I just though that I would not mind spending more on a hybrid if it means I can power up planars also.
I am getting mine tomorrow, and will compare it against my Lyr 3 and a Valhalla 2 . I will report back, after I have had some time with it. I went for another hybrid design, so that I can use a wider range of headphones. I do one day hope to get another TOTL OTL for my ZMF Aeolus, but for now I am sticking with hybrids.

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,337 of 5,150
@Wes S Pls do bro. I also got a ZMF aeolus on the way and am thinking if I should get a pure tube amplifier or hybrid. Because if the liquid platinum still offers a 100% of that tube sound and not just 50% , I will be buying it. If not then I might just have to re-evaluate all my options

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,338 of 5,150
@Wes S Pls do bro. I also got a ZMF aeolus on the way and am thinking if I should get a pure tube amplifier or hybrid. Because if the liquid platinum still offers a 100% of that tube sound and not just 50% , I will be buying it. If not then I might just have to re-evaluate all my options
Your perspective on tube amps is a mess.

There's no such thing as "100% of that tube sound".

The Valhalla 2 is a 100% tube design, but it's viewed by many to be on the dry analytical side of the spectrum. While other hybrid amps such as the Project Ember II are considered to be warmer and mushier sounding.

Sound doesn't fit neatly into a tube v hybrid perspective.

Also, the LP and the other amps you mentioned such as the Little Dot MkIII are simply not in the same class. If you want a pure tube design that can compete with the LP, then you're going to have to look elsewhere.

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,340 of 5,150
It's the best amp I've owned with the 650s. They are already warm headphones, so I don't want an amp that plays that out even more. The LP brings the 650s alive by making them sound dynamic and clear, without robbing them of the smooth midrange that makes them special. Bass is impactful without being overdone and the treble is extended but smooth. Soundstage width is excellent. Depth is a bit lacking, but is not an issue for me. Vocals are pushed slightly out front so it sounds as if the vocalist and band are not all lying on a straight line which is enough for me.

The Lyr 3 was very good, but a bit less dynamic. The Vali 2 is also an excellent match for the 650s. I could say that the LP is very similar to the Vali 2, tonally, but with better technicalities across the board. The Ember II with the 650 is not even in the discussion here.

The Valhalla 2 is also an excellent match for the 650s, but it's on the leaner side. The LP sounds more organic and natural.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,341 of 5,150
LP is arriving tomorrow and I have these tubes on deck -

Amperex PQ 7308
Siemens A frame E88CC
Philips Miniwatt SQ E188CC
Telefunken E88CC

Time for some tube rolling fun!

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,342 of 5,150

Amperex PQ 7308
Siemens A frame E88CC
Telefunken E88CC

Looking forward to your impressions of each of those tubes. I love the Amperex ones I have now but I'm getting an itch to try more. RIP wallet

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,343 of 5,150
It's the best amp I've owned with the 650s...
I concur -- listening via LP with Siemens E88CC is the first time I really appreciated my HD-6xx.
...The LP sounds more organic and natural.
...compared to my (technically excellent) Bryston BHA-1.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,344 of 5,150

Amperex PQ 7308
Siemens A frame E88CC

Telefunken E88CC

I'm especially interested in your impressions of the PQ's. I have one in my stash and may pick up another.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,345 of 5,150
Any one tried 6922 Amperex Holland made 1960s vintage gold pin with LP
I have HD800S, will this tube help with taming the brightness of Hd800s

Jan 22, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,346 of 5,150
Any one tried 6922 Amperex Holland made 1960s vintage gold pin with LP
I have HD800S, will this tube help with taming the brightness of Hd800s

I do have the Amperex, but no longer have the HD800, I can tell you they sound phenomenal with the Focal Clear, ZMF Autuer and the Abyss 1266.

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,347 of 5,150
I'm especially interested in your impressions of the PQ's. I have one in my stash and may pick up another.
I am running:

AMPEREX PQ Gray Plate O Getter 6922 Tubes (made in Hungary)

...and they sound very good with Utopia -- smooths the highs, delivers more body in the bass region, all without killing detail/dynamics that I love. I actually was thrilled with the LP/Gold Lion/Utopia pairing, and my Siemens E88CC also work well with Utopia (all my cans, really).

Being a tube nubee :) I really wonder how much difference there is between my O-getter 6922 PQ and an A-frame 7308 PQ. Comparing tubes seems nearly impossible, between shutting down, swapping the tubes, waiting for the start-up cycle and then re-volume matching. It's like I need a second LP to compare tubes side-by-side, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening!

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,348 of 5,150
Being a tube nubee :) I really wonder how much difference there is between my O-getter 6922 PQ and an A-frame 7308 PQ. Comparing tubes seems nearly impossible, between shutting down, swapping the tubes, waiting for the start-up cycle and then re-volume matching. It's like I need a second LP to compare tubes side-by-side, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening!
I agree - comparing tubes is (to me at least) very hard!
One cannot quickly go between 2 tubes, unless you have 2 amps... now that's an idea... hmmm.... :thinking:

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,349 of 5,150
I am receiving my LP on Friday. Can't wait to compare the sound to my CMA600i. The DAC is a 2Qute.

I am really wondering how much the LP stands up in clarity to the 600i and whether I prefer a more lush, more tuby sound from the LP vs my dynamic and punchy 600i.
All from the 2Qute which is a very detailed and clear DAC.

This will be my first real adventure to tube land. I only had the Vali which is a very basic hybrid.
Cant wait to find out what I like more. :)

Jan 22, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,350 of 5,150
I agree - comparing tubes is (to me at least) very hard!
One cannot quickly go between 2 tubes, unless you have 2 amps... now that's an idea... hmmm.... :thinking:
I think we might need a LP tube rolling thread. . .once things really get going and more people have them. I learned a ton of info, from the Lyr tube rolling thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back