Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 11, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,201 of 5,150
Introducion
I've had the LP for a few days now. I can't describe the sound of the amp any better than some of our senior members already have, so I won't try. My goal here is simply to add another data point for those that may still be on the fence.

I was on the fence myself. I don't trust Monoprice since this is their first foray into serious headamps. I was expecting multiple reports of shoddy build quality or exploding amps and it kept me from pulling the trigger at first. A huge thanks to the few senior members that took the time to talk with me and push me over the edge.

One caveat to my impressions is that moving up from the Lyr 3 meant that my Gumby was also going from SE use to balanced use. That means that any improvements I hear may be a mix of the amp itself and also utilizing the Gumby more appropriately. There's no way for me to reliably distinguish between the two.

All listening is Gumby A2 (USB V)-->LP (stock EH tubes)-->HD650 (stock).

Packaging
Yes, the packaging from Monoprice sucks. A huge box with two pitiful packing bubbles, which means the amp is bouncing around all over the place during shipping. On the plus side, I was quite impressed with the amp box itself. It feels appropriate for a $700 (or $770 now, I suppose) amp. There's a nice bag for the amp itself, and everything is well packed inside custom-cut foam. I know, who cares, right? It's all about the sound. I only mention this, because value is the big question here. $700 is a lot for someone like myself and I want to feel like the money was well spent. Monoprice has done well here...it feels like a luxury product.

Build Quality
I thought this was a hideous amp when the prototype pics were released. In person, though, it's quite nice. Everything feels solid, and the case is well-aligned. The dark gray on the front plate blends into the black body nicely, and makes the whole thing look very sleek. I have no idea why the left and right balanced inputs are switched on the amp. I originally plugged them in incorrectly and was shocked when I heard the channels switched. But, hey...I always tell my students to take the time to read before answering a question and yet I was apparently incapable of reading the L & R printed above the sockets. So, that's on me. The construction is all metal, there's a good weight to it, and again...it feels like a $700 amp should. This does not feel like a cheap toy.

Tubes
Yeah, they were hard to insert. Oh well. The right tube took some force, but went in without too much difficulty. The left tube felt like I was pressing against a brick wall. I finally realized the tube pins were just a tad crooked, and things went more smoothly after straightening them out a bit. I've got some NOS tubes coming in this afternoon, so we'll see if it gets any easier after repeated tube rolls.

**Update - 1/15**
Tube rolling is definitely easier at this point. They still take some work to remove, but putting tubes in is painless at this point.

I can also confirm what others have said that tube rolling makes a significant difference. I'm currently running a pair of 1972 Amperex A-frames (Holland made), and the sound has become significantly warmer and sweeter. If you find the stock configuration to sound a little dry, then tube rolling can alleviate this. I initially thought this was coming at the expense of staging, but after about 20 hours the sound has opened up and I won't be going back.

Sound
This is a step up from the Lyr in nearly every way. This isn't a criticism of the Lyr, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

The LP isn't aggressive, but the improvement in dynamics from the Lyr are obvious. The stage is also improved, especially in width. Instruments have their own spot in the mix, and the sound is very immersive. Once again, I don't think the soundstage of the Lyr is bad. In fact, I think it's pretty decent relative to some other Schiit offerings. The LP is simply better.

Everything sounds very natural and easy, without crossing over into the realm of boring. Clean sound, but not clinical.

The sound, in one word?

Convincing.

Enough said.

Misc.
GAIN
- This appears to be the big issue people have with this amp, but it's a non-issue for me personally. 5x isn't extreme. I'm typically somewhere between 9-11 on the dial and it's smooth and accurate enough that I don't have any problem getting the volume exactly where I want it. This about the same experience I had with the Vali 2 and Lyr 3 on high gain. Of course, YMMV. I'm only using the HD650, so more sensitive headphones will struggle. Attenuation seems simple enough and is worth the effort for what you're gaining with the LP in sound quality.
HEAT - Yep, it runs hot. So what?

Conclusion
This amp seems like a bargain to me. I've owned a ton of amps in the $500 and under category and I questioned whether this would be a clear step up.

It is.

Yes, reliability is a question that remains to be answered, but with a 5-year warranty it doesn't feel like much of a risk.

Final Conclusion

Upgraditis Status: Cured.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,202 of 5,150
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,203 of 5,150
Thanks for the review Skyline. My guess/experience on the LP is that it really shines most on higher ohm hp's. HD 650's are 300 ohms. I've been delighted with the pairing of the LP and T1's at 600 ohms. Notably the volume of the LP must go up which means no channel imbalance that I can perceive at lower volumes (such as is noticeable on my Utopias) and an incredible enveloping soundstage (speaking again about the T1 on the LP). It is not that the Utopia on the LP is bad (it is fantastic), I just notice a much more addictive pairing with my T1's.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,204 of 5,150
How does the LP pair up with your AFO, @skyline315 ?

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,205 of 5,150
Introducion
I've had the LP for a few days now. I can't describe the sound of the amp any better than some of our senior members already have, so I won't try. My goal here is simply to add another data point for those that may still be on the fence.

I was on the fence myself. I don't trust Monoprice since this is their first foray into serious headamps. I was expecting multiple reports of shoddy build quality or exploding amps and it kept me from pulling the trigger at first. A huge thanks to the few senior members that took the time to talk with me and push me over the edge.

One caveat to my impressions is that moving up from the Lyr 3 meant that my Gumby was also going from SE use to balanced use. That means that any improvements I hear may be a mix of the amp itself and also utilizing the Gumby more appropriately. There's no way for me to reliably distinguish between the two.

All listening is Gumby A2 (USB V)-->LP (stock EH tubes)-->HD650 (stock).

Packaging
Yes, the packaging from Monoprice sucks. A huge box with two pitiful packing bubbles, which means the amp is bouncing around all over the place during shipping. On the plus side, I was quite impressed with the amp box itself. It feels appropriate for a $700 (or $770 now, I suppose) amp. There's a nice bag for the amp itself, and everything is well packed inside custom-cut foam. I know, who cares, right? It's all about the sound. I only mention this, because value is the big question here. $700 is a lot for someone like myself and I want to feel like the money was well spent. Monoprice has done well here...it feels like a luxury product.

Build Quality
I thought this was a hideous amp when the prototype pics were released. In person, though, it's quite nice. Everything feels solid, and the case is well-aligned. The dark gray on the front plate blends into the black body nicely, and makes the whole thing look very sleek. I have no idea why the left and right balanced inputs are switched on the amp. I originally plugged them in incorrectly and was shocked when I heard the channels switched. But, hey...I always tell my students to take the time to read before answering a question and yet I was apparently incapable of reading the L & R printed above the sockets. So, that's on me. The construction is all metal, there's a good weight to it, and again...it feels like a $700 amp should. This does not feel like a cheap toy.

Tubes
Yeah, they were hard to insert. Oh well. The right tube took some force, but went in without too much difficulty. The left tube felt like I was pressing against a brick wall. I finally realized the tube pins were just a tad crooked, and things went more smoothly after straightening them out a bit. I've got some NOS tubes coming in this afternoon, so we'll see if it gets any easier after repeated tube rolls.

Sound
This is a step up from the Lyr in nearly every way. This isn't a criticism of the Lyr, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

The LP isn't aggressive, but the improvement in dynamics from the Lyr are obvious. The stage is also improved, especially in width. Instruments have their own spot in the mix, and the sound is very immersive. Once again, I don't think the soundstage of the Lyr is bad. In fact, I think it's pretty decent relative to some other Schiit offerings. The LP is simply better.

Everything sounds very natural and easy, without crossing over into the realm of boring. Clean sound, but not clinical.

The sound, in one word?

Convincing.

Enough said.

Misc.
GAIN
- This appears to be the big issue people have with this amp, but it's a non-issue for me personally. 5x isn't extreme. I'm typically somewhere between 9-11 on the dial and it's smooth and accurate enough that I don't have any problem getting the volume exactly where I want it. This about the same experience I had with the Vali 2 and Lyr 3 on high gain. Of course, YMMV. I'm only using the HD650, so more sensitive headphones will struggle. Attenuation seems simple enough and is worth the effort for what you're gaining with the LP in sound quality.
HEAT - Yep, it runs hot. So what?

Conclusion
This amp seems like a bargain to me. I've owned a ton of amps in the $500 and under category and I questioned whether this would be a clear step up.

It is.

Yes, reliability is a question that remains to be answered, but with a 5-year warranty it doesn't feel like much of a risk.

Final Conclusion

Upgraditis Status: Cured.
Great right up! Would you say the Lyr 3 is a warmer amp, than the LP?

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,209 of 5,150
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #1,211 of 5,150
Thanks for the review Skyline. My guess/experience on the LP is that it really shines most on higher ohm hp's. HD 650's are 300 ohms. I've been delighted with the pairing of the LP and T1's at 600 ohms. Notably the volume of the LP must go up which means no channel imbalance that I can perceive at lower volumes (such as is noticeable on my Utopias) and an incredible enveloping soundstage (speaking again about the T1 on the LP). It is not that the Utopia on the LP is bad (it is fantastic), I just notice a much more addictive pairing with my T1's.

Put in a preamp so that you can make better use of volume pot.

Someone linked this before, passive preamp:
http://www.goldpt.com/sa2x.html

Personally I use a Schiit Freya in passive mode.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,212 of 5,150
Jan 12, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #1,214 of 5,150
Someone was asking about what my new DAC driving the Liquid Platinum is the SMSL SU-8 with FW 1.3 and HW 1.2

First the cons:

It is so small as compared to my Audio GD, California Audio Lab, Burson Audio and the OPPO HA-1 I used to have. The SMSL SU-8 has a teeny weeny display in which I would need a pair of binoculars to read it across the room. The manual is even worst and I need a magnifier to read it and the graphs. You can not lose the remote because there is a special unlock key, the C key to electronically unlock the DAC for any adjustments. For some reason the Max volume is 38 which is a a bit odd number to use. It does not play any MQA files in which not a big issue for me. There was a problem with early units in that the XLR outputs were distorting a bit at max volume which was fixed with HW 1.2 by increasing the supply voltage to the buffers from 5v to 9v. It only comes in silver currently. There is three feet instead of four.

Second the pros:

As it turns out the SMSL SU-8 is one of the clearest and transparent sounding DAC I ever heard. I was not excepting that much of a change. I was quite surprised. I find that the remote turn out to be useful rather than a gimmick. I was watching a TV show on Netflix called Pine Gap in which two actors, a women and a man auguring on who is going to keep the cat. By using the remote I can change the seven digital filters on the ESS chip in real time and plainly hear the characters of the actor voices change. Some of the filters will change the makes voice more and some others will change the female voice more. It was kind of surprising that two actors talking on a TV series will show the differences of the ESS 2ES9038Q2M digital filters on the SMSL SU-8. All my other four active Dac’s are using the ES9018 chip and this SMSL SU-8 is at end game level as far DAC’s is concerned. I can hear the differences even with my Sceptre S6 monitors. I brought mine at Amazon at $250 just because I wanted the HW level to be at 1.2 otherwise it would be easier to send it back. I use the balanced outs of the SMSL SU-8 to drive the Liquid Platinum amp just fine. By the way there is also 10 sound color options like three tubes and the 3 crystal options which would help a bit when actors are speaking in muddle English. There are rich setting also. Someone was telling me that the color options is really in the ES9038Q2M chip in which I can not confirm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back