Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #346 of 5,150
Someone highly recommends the Telefunken 6922/E88CC tubes for these, but there seems to be a large variety of those Telefunken 6922/E88CC selling at very divergent prices on different sites of the internet, and not having used any tubes before, I am having some difficulty distinguishing genuine reliable ones from possibly sketchy ones, although something tells me that they might not all be equally good and reliable, given their prices:

Can someone confirm that these Telefunkens can and do bring the promised enhancements to the table, and also recommend some reliable online sites from which to order rthem?

Unfortunately, tubes are highly subjective. What someone may feel these tubes bring to the table (airy, light on its feet, but not as much body/impact) to you may be too lean, have too much treble extension, and sound too linear. You also have to take into account how it will react with the amp and headphones being used.

As a suggestion I’d say go for the new stock tubes (cheap) and dial in the sound you like with the amp. JJs, Gold Lions, and even NOS Tungsram PCC88s. From there you can describe what sound you prefer and ask for suggestions on higher end tubes that fall in line with it. Or go crazy like a few of us in the Lyr thread and spend over $1000 on tubes. :laughing:

Edit: To answer your question I feel the Telefunkens are fine tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #347 of 5,150
I have a pair of of Reflektor '75 and '74 6n23p SGWP just for them...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #348 of 5,150
I was wondering how long it would take for the tube rolling discussion to start:L3000: - btw, I am really into it with my Ember II and anxiously looking forward to the Liquid Platinum.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #350 of 5,150
Unfortunately, tubes are highly subjective. What someone may feel these tubes bring to the table (airy, light on its feet, but not as much body/impact) to you may be too lean, have too much treble extension, and sound too linear. You also have to take into account how it will react with the amp and headphones being used.

As a suggestion I’d say go for the new stock tubes (cheap) and dial in the sound you like with the amp. JJs, Gold Lions, and even NOS Tungsram PCC88s. From there you can describe what sound you prefer and ask for suggestions on higher end tubes that fall in line with it. Or go crazy like a few of us in the Lyr thread and spend over $1000 on tubes. :laughing:

Edit: To answer your question I feel the Telefunkens are fine tubes.

Good advice and good description of the Telefunkens’ sound. I used to own a pair of them myself.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #351 of 5,150
I have a pair of of Reflektor '75 and '74 6n23p SGWP just for them...

That’s what I used to use in the Liquid Crimson. Outstanding match.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #353 of 5,150
Are the specs for the tube heater and transformer in the liquid platinum published somewhere? I'm wondering if it can handle a 6n6p

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/RU-6N6P.pdf

6.3V at 330mA MAX. You'll need two tubes.

Both heaters and HV are powered by small SMPSs. The plate voltage on and the current in the tubes is controlled regardless of tube type until the auto bias cannot account for the operating point of the tube. Which then means it doesn't behave like a 6922 or close to a 6922.

Pls keep in mind my comments above about how closely the tubes should match a typical 6922.

IIRC, 6N6P is not that close a match to 6922. But I know that many people sub them.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #354 of 5,150
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #355 of 5,150

Both heaters and HV are powered by small SMPSs. The plate voltage on and the current in the tubes is controlled regardless of tube type until the auto bias cannot account for the operating point of the tube. Which then means it doesn't behave like a 6922 or close to a 6922.

Pls keep in mind my comments above about how closely the tubes should match a typical 6922.

IIRC, 6N6P is not that close a match to 6922. But I know that many people sub them.

6n6p is 0.75mA, so it will probably not result in anything good.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #356 of 5,150
ah darn ok. Thanks for the quick reply. So since the 6n6p requires 750mA at 6.3V, it will be underpowered in the liquid platinum

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #358 of 5,150
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #360 of 5,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back