Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 2, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,211 of 5,150
Fyi this can often be fixed by adding a drop of caig deoxit to the pot.
Yeah, I did that to my scratchy Magni 3 pot, and the problem came back a week later. It is easier for me to turn the knobs of the CTH and the 789 a few times before powering them up to reduce the scratchiness of the volume pot during my listening sessions.

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #3,212 of 5,150
Yeah, I did that to my scratchy Magni 3 pot, and the problem came back a week later. It is easier for me to turn the knobs of the CTH and the 789 a few times before powering them up to reduce the scratchiness of the volume pot during my listening sessions.
Deoxit works, important tho to use the more expensive pure liquid and not the watered down spray. May need to apply more than once.

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #3,214 of 5,150
Worth noting these units have 5yr warranty so all this stuff (imbalance, scratchy pot, etc) should be covered by warranty in that time period for free.
AFAIK, the CTH and the 789 are covered by a one-year warranty by Drop.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,216 of 5,150
I wonder if there is a way to decrease the gain? That would likely solve many peoples issues.
Nothing in the device. I've been using a passive preamp to attenuate volume from my DACs to the LP. Early on, the descriptions mentioned switchable gain, but that didn't make it into the final production amps.

Sorry :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #3,218 of 5,150
I was thinking/hoping the the modders might have found some options.

My personal solution is running a DAC with a volume control (SMSL SU-8).

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,219 of 5,150
I received my LPS-36 Low noise Linear Power Supply for Monolith Liquid Platinum Cavalli Headphone Amp yesterday from the Chinese manufacturer... it's been hooked up and making music for about 20 hours now... really good sound! It is very well built and It definitely makes the sound of the LP better in all aspects... "Just what the doctor ordered!" Definitely worth the price!
I will wait until I burn it in for 150 hours and then I will give a more detailed review on how it powers the LP.
My system: 2018 Mac mini with Audirvana Plus > balanced Topping D90 DAC > balanquid Platinum Headphone Amp w/ LPS-36 LPS > Hifiman Arya Planar Headphones > my ears.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #3,220 of 5,150
I received my LPS-36 Low noise Linear Power Supply for Monolith Liquid Platinum Cavalli Headphone Amp yesterday from the Chinese manufacturer... it's been hooked up and making music for about 20 hours now... really good sound! It is very well built and It definitely makes the sound of the LP better in all aspects... "Just what the doctor ordered!" Definitely worth the price!
I will wait until I burn it in for 150 hours and then I will give a more detailed review on how it powers the LP.
My system: 2018 Mac mini with Audirvana Plus > balanced Topping D90 DAC > balanquid Platinum Headphone Amp w/ LPS-36 LPS > Hifiman Arya Planar Headphones > my ears.

Thanks for the impressions of using the LP with an LPS. I've read in other forums/places where using an LPS did not make any difference in sound when using it with the liquid platinum. So this is truely a YMMV situation.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #3,221 of 5,150
Were any of the LPS's that they said makes no difference the LPS-36, which was made specifically for the LP? That would be important to know.

Anyway... I'll just enjoy my music... regardless what other folks say!

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3,222 of 5,150
How long did it take for the LPS to arrive? I have that exact one in the watch bin on ebay.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,223 of 5,150
Were any of the LPS's that they said makes no difference the LPS-36, which was made specifically for the LP? That would be important to know.

Anyway... I'll just enjoy my music... regardless what other folks say!

Not that I can see. Primary testing was with a bench LPS (BK Precision). I do trust his numbers (he was the one initially got me on using an LPS especially using it with the cavalli tube hybrid where it made a huge difference) -- he was supposed to test a similar LPS from China that was made for the LP, but not sure if it ever happened. Oh well. It's cool, i'm happy that it improved the sound nonetheless. Let us know how it goes after the full burn in time! I had been eyeing the same LPS too for the liquid platinum. Lol.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,225 of 5,150
This one?

https://www.ebay.com/i/132862087667
(also on AliExpress)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back