Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 2, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,516 of 5,150
Going out of topic here but i subscribed to Qobuz beta. I have been listening to Tidal in Audirvana using LP with Mojo and HD800s. I am using desktop app of Qobuz and haven't logged in using Audirvana. I will do that later today.
I am used to few songs which i listen to regularly in Tidal in MQA format, however Mojo doesn't support MQA so that is done by Audirvana and then it is sent to Mojo.
When I listen to same songs in Qobuz it sounds better and have more dynamic range and punch. Also the highs are better as well and I am able to turn the volume knob more compared to where I was on LP with Tidal. Anyone had similar experience.

I fired up Qobus for the first time today. Sounded good from what I listened to. I'll have to do some direct comparisons to Tidal in the next few days.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,517 of 5,150
LP + Denafrips Pontus (R2R) is very good. I’m not hearing thin/polite/light in low frequencies compared to Violectric V280/Bryston BHA-1/MassDrop Liquid Carbon -X. These are probably not Betula’s ‘meaty’ amps. But I’m getting very impactful bass from Auteur, Ether 2 & Utopia from this chain — alll driven balanced. More bass than from any of my SS amps. Not so much from stock tubes, which are all Betula tried.

This is good info, thanks.
What tubes are you running in the LP?

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,518 of 5,150
Speaking of asking of your experience, do you have any experience with the 789 or Lyr 3? I'm pretty set on the 789 due to its price point, understanding it may be a little bright and light in the lower frequencies.
Reading the Platinum may be low in tower frequencies punch scares me off a bit, in part due to its price point so I am curious how the Lyr 3 may compare. Unfortunately Lyr lacking balanced out so I will have to make a new Ether cable, but it seems to have plenty of SE power.

What about how a R2R dac would compare with the LP I can't help but wonder..
Unfortunately I haven't tried any of those amps. I would imagine the 789 is very neutral and the Lyr 3 warmer. The LP is probably the better amp but I don't know how the low-end response compares.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #1,519 of 5,150
^ Not Betula, but I had the Lyr 3 and use the Vinshine R2R Reference DAC, the LP is a far more sophisticated sound, fuller body, bigger headstage.this is with the Abyss 1266, ZMF Autuer and Focal Clear, so a broad swath of headphone types.
I concur with this, and i own both Lyr 3 and LP and they both have body and strong bass. The LP is a step up in quality (texture and tightness), but the Lyr 3 is fun. They both kick like mules, when called upon, with the right tubes, and i am a basshead at heart. I am keeping both, if that says anything.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #1,521 of 5,150
Actually he has, mate. He has tried quite a number of amps.

This Liquid Platinum is indeed intriguing. Might need to get my hands on it later.
In that case we have got different ideas what a 'meaty sound' means.

I didn't say the LP is lean compared to most amps, but compared to the CMA600i and Pro iCAN it is thin.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,522 of 5,150
In that case we have got different ideas what a 'meaty sound' means.

I didn't say the LP is lean compared to most amps, but compared to the CMA600i and Pro iCAN it is thin.
I believe we have established these points. Lets move on. . .

Feb 3, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,523 of 5,150
Going out of topic here but i subscribed to Qobuz beta. I have been listening to Tidal in Audirvana using LP with Mojo and HD800s. I am using desktop app of Qobuz and haven't logged in using Audirvana. I will do that later today.
I am used to few songs which i listen to regularly in Tidal in MQA format, however Mojo doesn't support MQA so that is done by Audirvana and then it is sent to Mojo.
When I listen to same songs in Qobuz it sounds better and have more dynamic range and punch. Also the highs are better as well and I am able to turn the volume knob more compared to where I was on LP with Tidal. Anyone had similar experience.

I concur, just started my beta with Qobuz as well. I haven’t had it long enough to make an absolute determination. I’ve been spending my time digging through their library. Listening to a Tony Joe White playlist, an oddity for me, but it brings back memories. My short term impressions match Kumar’s, greater clarity, bass impact, and a more “up front” presentation. I was thinking about selling or trading my Abyss, but now with Qobuz I’m having second thoughts.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #1,524 of 5,150
I concur with this, and i own both Lyr 3 and LP and they both have body and strong bass. The LP is a step up in quality (texture and tightness), but the Lyr 3 is fun. They both kick like mules, when called upon, with the right tubes, and i am a basshead at heart. I am keeping both, if that says anything.
Same here - I also love bass. More than neutral. And I also have (and keep) both Lyr3 and LP.
Love the bass from both. Nothing lean or lacking for me... and lastly, I also agree that if you want (or can afford) one - the LP is a step up!

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,525 of 5,150
Couple of pictures of my LP stacked with my other gear. Not high quality pics.
20190203_115032.jpg 20190203_115020.jpg

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,526 of 5,150
This is funny amp. I don't like a look of the amp, and it's partially why I didn't think much of it. Perhaps the look of the amp can have a placebo effect.

Is this a Class A + AB?

After listening to it awhile I realize it is a mid rich amp, it's the reason why the mids sounds a bit thicker than usual. You really get a sense of it with the HD6XX. Also has a bit of a bass impact than typical. This is the reason why you can pair it well with diffuse tuned headphones like HD800/S or HEK. It will likely even out the tonality, and particularly with HD800/S, getting more bass impact.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #1,527 of 5,150
This is funny amp. I don't like a look of the amp, and it's partially why I didn't think much of it. Perhaps the look of the amp can have a placebo effect.
I was not a fan of the looks of the LP, but in real life it looks better (IMHO) than the photos...

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,528 of 5,150
Thank you all for the feedback, it seems I shouldn't take a half step and just go for the LP when the time is right (mostly avoiding that raised price). My bank account on the other hand does not thank any of you :)

What tubes might you be using, Wes S?

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,529 of 5,150
This is good info, thanks.
What tubes are you running in the LP?
Siemens NOS E88CC (best) Amperex 6922 PQ (close) Gold Lions 6922 (great w/ Utopia) & stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back