MONOPRICE Modern Retro Over Ear Headphones (New)
Dec 1, 2016 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

glove4

100+ Head-Fier
These are apparently still so new from Monoprice that there is no reviews anywhere, not even on the Monoprice product page. They are only $29.99 so I took a chance, having purchased many other headphones and earphones from MP in the past. These are my initial impressions: 

These are an absolute steal at $30. I would expect to pay much more for these. Being that these are modeled as old-school studio monitor headphones, however, you'd expect them to have a "flat" or "neutral" sound profile. This is what I expected, at least. Not quite. These actually have a V-shaped profile, surprisingly enough. Fortunately, there are no harsh highs here nor bloated bass. The mids are recessed but not at allto the point where they're swallowed up. Bass is very punchy and weighty with no muddiness or mid-bass bloat. These are slightly more suitable for bassheads than the 12330 HiFi over ear model, but couldn't be described as warm, but more powerful and energetic especially suitable for modern music. I listen to a lot of complex metal where budget headphones often fail to capture both intensity and detail and some sense of space. These have won me over, however. They are quite spacious for closed-back monitors. Mids are really important for me and these achieve a slightly recessed but powerful and exciting balance: not neutral or analytical, but solid, accurate bass that doesn't warm up there mids and no harsh highs. These are initial impressions with very little burn in. I will update this as I burn them in. Overall, these should sell for at least twice what they're going for. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Monoprice has a winner with these. My initial impressions still stand after some burn in. These have a comfortable, retro monitor style with a sound tuned for modern music. These are not tuned "flat" monitors forstudio production. The low bass hits hard without any bloated muddled overly warm mess. These will do well for fans of the old 8323 but are more comfortable to wear and with a less "dark" profile, being more tuned with a classic V for exciting and powerful presentation that makes most modern or bass driven music shine. But they bring out the power in a lot of mids driven music like the metal I gravitate towards. Per usual, another budget winner from Monoprice.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 8
I looked at the model you're referencing from Superlux. It does look like a rebranding, but I saw on Amazon there is an HD 662 set from Superlux that looks even closer to the Monoprice. I'm intrigued now. I may have to try some of these out from Superlux now. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 8
These are a copy/replica/rip-off of the AKG K271's, which have been around for quite some time. The new version of the K271, named K271 MKII, is now made in China instead of Austria, where the first make was made, so it would make sense that they're basically using the same shell, and, possibly, similar/the same components.

It does sadden me to see so many copy cats of quality products. The AKG K271's are one of my favorites, and AKG deserves that money.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Ordered these yesterday as they are currently $15.99 (+shipping, came to about $24 for me) on Monoprice, and I couldn't pass that up as a deal.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 8
I have been listening to my new Monoprice Retros for a couple days now an I actually really love them. My daily closed headphones before these were the ATH-M40 with ZMF leather pads. These Retros are much more fun to listen to. I love the sound-stage and bass. I actually like headphones that push the sounds back a little and give some space. I am very happy with them and they have gotten better as they burn in. I put the Brainwavz XL pleather pads on them and they are very comfortable too. The best $50 I have spent on a headphone set up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back