Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #31 of 1,803
There's a set on eBay for 200 bucks if your interested. Might accept a reasonable offer.
I have been watching them. . . Thanks. I am holding off on any more tube purchases, until i hear the Mullard and Brimar, i have coming. My next tube, that i am rolling and already have is, the e188cc Philips SQ 1963, from Heerlen.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 1,803
7L1 R4D4 is the engraved code on the Mullards i have coming and CV2492 is written on it, they were made in the Mitcham plant.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #35 of 1,803
Don't forget about the 6C8G folks. 300ma with 36 amp factor. Pretty much identical to the 6922 specs. I just went through every tube and adapter combo I have atm. I haven't taken out my 6c8g since yesterday evening. I have only a re-labeled National Union right now. My Tung-sol met it's fate a few months ago by hitting the floor and shattering. Lol.

I think I may have dismissed the 6c8g a little too early. By far the biggest and most 3D soundstage of any tube I've heard. Extreme realism. Tough call now between it and my favorite 12at7 tubes.

Fantastic price on these Tung-sol. I'd buy the single off whoever buys the triple. Lol.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173735968703

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #37 of 1,803
I'll be waiting to hear your thoughts on this amp bro. I kinda wrote it off due to the 12at7 issues. But, I'll wait to see where you stand with it.
Think I am going to give the amp some burn in first before I put in the adapters or SS. 6CC41 with a 100 amplification factor going in first. Not hopeful.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #39 of 1,803
Amperex Bugle Boy E88CC
  • Adds treble definition without raising overall levels or changing the timbre much.
  • Very good detail compared to stock.
  • Can potentially be fatiguing, but I did not find this to be the case with most recordings (and I'm treble-sensitive).
  • Mids and bass essentially unchanged from stock.
Telefunken E88CC
  • Incredibly smooth. If the stock tube is butter, this is just velvet and liquid at the same time.
  • Not as laid-back as stock. More forward, but interestingly has a deeper stage that might be slightly wider.
  • Adds some bass slam, but doesn't increase levels.
  • Is more colored than stock, but in a way that is pleasing and musical. Best heard with passages with guitar reverb and good classical orchestral recordings (strings in general)
I tried 5 different tubes, but I felt only these two represented a substantial difference/improvement in the sound. It's worth noting that the Telefunkens are pretty expensive at this time (a matched pair costs as much as the amp), and thus I can't necessarily recommend them.

Honestly, in my setup the stock tubes are used 99% of the time.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #40 of 1,803
Amperex Bugle Boy E88CC
  • Adds treble definition without raising overall levels or changing the timbre much.
  • Can potentially be fatiguing, but I did not find this to be the case with most recordings (and I'm treble-sensitive).
Telefunken E88CC
  • Incredibly smooth. If the stock tube is butter, this is just velvet and liquid at the same time.
  • Not as laid-back as stock. More forward, but interestingly has a deeper stage that might be slightly wider.
  • Is more colored than stock, but in a way that is pleasing and musical. Best heard with passages with guitar reverb and good classical orchestral recordings (strings in general)
I tried 5 different tubes, but I felt only these two represented a substantial difference/improvement in the sound. It's worth noting that the Telefunkens are pretty expensive at this time (a matched pair costs as much as the amp), and thus I can't necessarily recommend them.

I would love to know the other 3 tubes, if you dont mind. The 2 you have mentioned, would not be my choices, due to the sound signature of this amp. Especially with a bright headphone. There are much better tubes, for this amp.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #41 of 1,803
Amperex Bugle Boy E88CC
Telefunken E88CC

Can you provide more details on the Telefunken E88CC? Which year? which mica / getter structure?
You're describing a sound signature that would interest me, and I want to make sure I am looking for the right tubes...

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #42 of 1,803
Can you provide more details on the Telefunken E88CC? Which year? which mica / getter structure?
You're describing a sound signature that would interest me, and I want to make sure I am looking for the right tubes...
You should look into getting a pair of adapters and a good pair of Telefunken ECC82, heard they are better than the E88CC at a bargain of a price compared to the E88CC.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #43 of 1,803
You should look into getting a pair of adapters and a good pair of Telefunken ECC82, heard they are better than the E88CC at a bargain of a price compared to the E88CC.
I have to say, owning the Telefunken E88CC, 1968 from Ulm factory, angled getter support, are the most over hyped and over priced tubes i have owned. They are neutral to bright, with light bass.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #44 of 1,803
LP came in could not get any sound from the from the 6CC41, so definitely no noise I can hear!!! Tubes did heat up. Not going to try these again.
Got the 58 6922 D getters in.
Amp takes up 1/2 of a MJ2, sits right on top.
Much needed burn in it appears.
I`ve switched to my Gumby as dac, want to hear tube charateristics much easier than a tube dac.
@Wes S I did not care much for the Tele E88CC, sold mine. The Tele E188CC is better but very pricey.
Fkn tube socket on the amp is very tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back