Monoprice IEMs different model comparisons
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Electro-Static

New Head-Fier
I'm not really an audiophile, but about two years ago a friend of mind got about half a dozen etymotic research ER6i's for free and she gave me a pair because she really did not the like the low bass and how they felt in their ears, I on the other hand LOVED them, for the first time I could  hear so much more in a song. About half a year ago they broke, I replaced the jack and then the right ear went out. In search of a decent replacement I went through a pair of koss porta-pro headphones (killed the jack in less than a month), and a set of "earbangers" (overpriced novelty ear buds that a DJ friend of mine recommended to me, those lasted about 3 months before the jack started to die). All this brings me to the topic at hand my new replacements.

I ordered a pair of sennheiser CX300IIB's (I'll likely return them and get brainwavz M5's instead)  from amazon and two sets of monoprice 8320 IEM's from monoprice.com. Since I've read that that model is uncomfortable I was wondering if the other IEM models from monoprice have the same sound quality in a more comfortable package? If so I've love to order some as Christmas gifts for friends of mine. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 4
See how you find the CX300's and the comfort levels of the monoprice IEMs. People here can only say so much - it's better to see for yourself.

Odd that you decided to get CX300s (bass cannons) when you enjoyed the ER6i.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 4
I was going by amazon reviews at the time sadly (I'm really not an audiophile just someone who was given a great pair of IEMs and can't go back) I found tons of better options after coming here.
I will likely return the sennheisers and get either brainwavz M5's or the etymotic kids model (to protect my hearing lol) I listen to mostly electronica and classical so bass can be nice, but I find a detailed sound profile to be intoxicating.

on a different note I would like to try different types of buds so that can get an idea of what type of sound I like best. More than likely I will pick up a pair of monoprice cans so I can get an idea of the difference between cans and IEMS (also monoprice overnight shipping is only like $5 to my house)

I was thinking of the following IEMS in addition to the monoprice buds for when I return the senns to amazon

Brainwaivz M5
etymotic EREK-5
Vsonic GR02

I'm also looking at suggestions for a decent soldering iron to fix my ER6i IEMs

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I was going by amazon reviews at the time sadly (I'm really not an audiophile just someone who was given a great pair of IEMs and can't go back) I found tons of better options after coming here.
I will likely return the sennheisers and get either brainwavz M5's or the etymotic kids model (to protect my hearing lol) I listen to mostly electronica and classical so bass can be nice, but I find a detailed sound profile to be intoxicating.

on a different note I would like to try different types of buds so that can get an idea of what type of sound I like best. More than likely I will pick up a pair of monoprice cans so I can get an idea of the difference between cans and IEMS (also monoprice overnight shipping is only like $5 to my house)

I was thinking of the following IEMS in addition to the monoprice buds for when I return the senns to amazon

Brainwaivz M5
etymotic EREK-5
Vsonic GR02

I'm also looking at suggestions for a decent soldering iron to fix my ER6i IEMs

you want great buds for cheap? then you need to go out and buy the philips 3580/3590. excellent detail, bass, and just a SOLID budget IEM, that blows away the Sennheiser CX 300 II (which I own), Brainwavz M5, Monoprice 8320 (which I also own, as well as most of the other Monoprice IEM's, and none are as good as the 8320's, but the 8320's are not very comfortable), and rival the GR02 for detail retrieval. Really for the cost of $10.00, you really CANNOT get a more comfortable + great SQ dnamic driver IEM than the 3580/90. Many in head-fi will back me up on this. After a decent 10-20 hour burn it? you'll love the Philips 3580/90 as much as your etymotics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back