Monoprice Bluetooth Over-The-Ear Headphones?
Mar 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 3
And... nearly a year later, someone tries these.  So, to set the stage, I mostly listen portable to a Momentum 2 wired, via Moto X Pure, and sometimes Dragonfly black. I also have HA-1/PM1 setup, and a Bottlehead Crack with the Senn/Massdrop 6XX fed by a modi multibit.  Monoprice is always running a sale of between 10 - 20% off, so I was able to get these shipped to me $54 total.  That is the main strong point for this headphone, the price.  It's not uncomfortable, but the headband adjustments don't really adjust the  headband like any other HP I've had, it just sort of spreads the ear cushons out wider, not taller/deeper.  So, yes these are $54 headphones, they sound better than a free earbud that comes with your phone, but they have weird sounding treble, and sort of have bass, but I can't make out what exactly the bass is.  I would say, for someone who has never heard really good headphones, they would probably say these sound pretty good. There would be no confusion between these and the Momentum.  The BT signal is marginal. You might get 10 feet away, and get dropouts.  Today, when sitting 3 feet from the phone, I could not get a good signal, constant dropouts.  

I had tried the B&W P7 and returned them disappointed because they play a very audible hiss when in BT mode.  You try listening to a podcast of people talking, and it was prominent. I liked the P7 signature, very bassy and fun, I liked how music sounded, but still the hiss was there whenever the music dipped down.  They were also quite uncomfortable.  Thus, I tried these $50 gems, just to see if I could play them for podcasts.  I might keep them, I'm not sure yet. These do not hiss, but instead, I hear a low level static sound, much like the old days of the background noise of AM radio. I'll keep looking for another BT set, and try to be patient, because I  have a feeling we're on the verge of every manufacturer releasing everything with BT, and with aptX HD around the corner, it could be really good (lossless) sound. 

I'd say these could be great for kids, but probably won't fit, and non-discerning listeners. 

Controls are somewhat difficult, outright difficult compared to the P7.  Volume does not go low enough to listen quietly, so  you have to dip the volume down on the phone with the HP at lowest setting. It paired fine with my Moto X and my wife's iPhone SE. I continue to pause the sound trying to find the volume up/down.  There is a bit of a hotspot on the top of your head, because the band design has a cushion shaped to touch your head in one spot. 

This is the same headphone: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Bluetooth-Headphones-Microphone-feature-Noise-Isolating/dp/B016JBZ4CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489352238&sr=8-1&keywords=66+headphone  There is an interesting mix of reviews on Amazon.

I found this clone HP when I paired the HP, it identified as "Hifi Elite", so I googled for that and found the Amazon and other links to the Amazing $66 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back