Monoprice 605050 Studio Reference Headphones: Reviews, Impressions, and Discussion
Sep 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tinkertailor

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen this for a few weeks now:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150403&p_id=605050&seq=1&format=2

Anyone tried these? 

(can't find a headfi thread already, if there is I'll delete this)

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Maybe I will order a pair and do my first review for headfi. there is a coupon code "news5" for new customers. That would make it around $45 U.S. with shipping. hmmmm tempting. As long as its not garbage.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 9
  Maybe I will order a pair and do my first review for headfi. there is a coupon code "news5" for new customers. That would make it around $45 U.S. with shipping. hmmmm tempting. As long as its not garbage.

My dealings with Monoprice headphones in the past have always been wow. This sound that cheap? Worth a shot. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 9
To expand a bit on what Nhubley said, Monoprice is actually a bit of an anomaly in the industries they cater to. Their bang-for-the-buck ratio is unmatched by far , combined with cheap shipping prices, fast shipping service and excellent customer service. I really have no idea how they do it.

Their stuff is from China, but the product quality is above average or higher, which is odd for China. They must have very tight QC. Also, their shipping prices are so low they may be at cost. For those in Southern California they have an extremely inexpensive Norco Overnite option; it's dirt-cheap. They ship fast, too. They have an Amazon-like shipping time feature ("this item will ship Today if ordered within the next X hours, Y minutes").

Their customer support is stellar and complements the rest of their operations to the fullest degree. If you have any issues, they'll take care of you. I've bought from them for longer than I can remember. Probably since early 2000s. Always a happy customer.

I've been tempted to pick up one of their desktop USB/DAC/Amps. At $98.00 it's hard to ignore it. See it here:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Just gonna bump this up since I'm in need of a new portable and these are currently on Massdrop.
Does anyone have any impressions on these things?

May 13, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 9
I purchased a pair of these to replace my Sony MDR-V6's that I've had for ... well, way too many years.  The MDR-V6s still work, but the foam has deteriorated so bad that it leaves black flecks all over you if you put in the phones.  However, I was able to give a direct comparison, plugging them back and forth.

I hate to say it, but the Monoprice headphones actually sounded a bit clearer with a more defined soundstage.  The bass was about even (if you want bass, don't get reference headphones, get DJ headphones).  I played with the sound coming from an external USB audio device on my laptop and used software to drive the bass to insane levels and I didn't notice any distortions or muddiness of the sound.  In fact, I was really impressed.

It was kinda odd just how similar they are to my old Sony's.  They have the same carrying bag, interchangeable screw-on adapters .. and the sound was VERY hard to tell apart.  Definately a steal at $60 since I'm comparing them to headphones that cost 4-5 times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back