Monolith M1570C (and M1070C) - Closed Back Planar Headphones
Nov 29, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #16 of 207
I remember that! :) You were quite high on the 1570's but then you pulled the trigger not he V2's and they eclipsed the 1570's -- but I suppose they honestly should since the sale price for the HE-6e V2's is still substantially more than the sale price of the 1570's -- in fact, your experience with that cooled me on the open 1570's, but I'm still just a wee bit curious about the 1570C closed version -- might they eclipse my LCD-2 Closed? :thinking:
Yes it was a definite price difference. $600.00 vs $950.00 in Canuck bucks.

Then the same thing happened with the HE6se V2's vs the LSA HP-2's, which was about a $200.00 difference.

But I have had lots of experiences where stepping up, price wise, really did not pay off.

It is all hit and miss, although after a couple of years in, I am getting more hits than misses.
:ksc75smile:

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #17 of 207
The crickets are chirping, right? :smirk:

I have the nagging feeling I may be "forced" to buy them while they're still on sale, which I suspect may mean today as I'm not confident the $399 pricing for the 1570C will extend beyond Cyber Monday. I'm just so sure it will fall very short of the LCD-XC I'm also considering.... :thinking:
I got an email that today is the last day of the sale prices.

I've been debating these as well since I have the 1570 Opens and enjoy them, but I also kinda wanna grab the HE6SE since they are at an all time low as I am sure these will go on sale again later once more info is out... I mean their product pages are a copy paste between the 1070C and 1570C... it literally says all the same things for both lol.

If I was in the US I would probably buy just because returning is a lot easier than from Canada. Let me know if you grabbed them I'm curious.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #18 of 207

I've been debating these as well since I have the 1570 Opens and enjoy them, but I also kinda wanna grab the HE6SE since they are at an all time low as I am sure these will go on sale again later once more info is out... I mean their product pages are a copy paste between the 1070C and 1570C... it literally says all the same things for both lol.

If I was in the US I would probably buy just because returning is a lot easier than from Canada. Let me know if you grabbed them I'm curious.
Update, new sale is on for Monoprice and the 1070C / 1570C are still on sale for the same prices. Not sure how long this refreshed sale will last but I assume we have at least another week to decide.

Cheers

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 207

I went ahead and ordered them on Tuesday on what I assumed was the last day of the sale (I hadn't even noticed the email they sent, but did just now, lol), and they are supposed to arrived by Saturday, so I hope they do make it by then or next Monday. :)

Funny that they are still on sale today -- wonder if they didn't score as many orders as they had hoped for their sale overall? :thinking:

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 207
I went ahead and ordered them on Tuesday on what I assumed was the last day of the sale (I hadn't even noticed the email they sent, but did just now, lol), and they are supposed to arrived by Saturday, so I hope they do make it by then or next Monday. :)

Funny that they are still on sale today -- wonder if they didn't score as many orders as they had hoped for their sale overall? :thinking:

oooo heck yea, excited to hear your thoughts too. I already know that the clamp is going to suck but really curious how it sounds... i still have a 1570C in my cart that I am mulling on haha.

Also, I need to know what the closed back is made out of!

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #22 of 207
I'm very interested in both of these as the M1060C with mods are the planars that I like and use the most. Liked the M1570 (with eq) too. I asked monoprice.eu a couple of days ago if they would be available there, they said no plans at the moment but check back in 3-6 months as they may receive more requests for these (so if you live in Europe it could be worth asking for!).

It would be possible to order from the US of course but that would be more expensive with higher shipping costs and taxes.

I wonder what the cups are made of - looks like it isn't wood? Also there are no screws visible on the cups either so their mounting would differ from the M1060C. Hope they would be easy to open up and mod like most Monolith phones (and not like the M1570 in this respect).

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #23 of 207

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 207
I did finally get them late Monday but I have had little chance to listen to them until today, unfortunately, as I've been really busy -- but in brief comparison to my LCD-2 Closed:

• Similar sound signature to LCD-2 Closed but with mids a little more recessed and bass not as prominent as on the LCD-2 Closed
  • Vocals sound better on the LCD-2 Closed and sound a little further back on the M1570C
  • They drive about the same straight out of my Benchmark DAC1's built-in headphone amp, indeed, so close that I don't adjust volume and have both plugged in at once (DAC1 has two 6.3mm headphone outs)
  • Comfort is surprisingly good even though they are massive, for sure -- but I actually prefer the LCD-2 Closed's suspension band on my small head
  • I'm not really blown away but they're quite competent
  • In even briefer 3-way comparison, adding in the Shure SRH1540 as another reference point, the SRH1540's vocals and mids sound more like the LCD-2 Closed (even slightly more forward I think than the LCD-2 Closed) than the 1570C, which makes me feel like the 1570C need a little EQ to bump up the mids a wee bit
  • Bass is better on LCD-2 Closed and SRH1540 than on the 1570C, so I feel like the 1570C needs a bass shelf, perhaps -- but then again, I don't really EQ generally :sweat_smile:
  • I've not directly compared them to the M1060C (which I do have) but having listened to the M1060C just last week straight out of my MacBook Pro headphone out, I was more pleased by the fun signature of the M1060C than the more sterile sound of the M1570C -- but also, I paid $100 used for those so the value proposition there might be skewing my impressions
  • Oh ... the cable: I find the mini-XLR connectors more finicky than the ones on my LCD-2 Closed (or any of my other LCD's) -- the left one in particular feels a little mushy going in and sometimes I have difficulty getting it out when I'm putting it back in the case (I carted these yesterday to another office although I ended up with almost no head time yesterday).
  • EDIT: Also, there is a bit of a peak, at least relative to the LCD-2 Closed, in the treble that makes the M1570C a little more prone to being a little prickly up top. The LCD-2 Closed just sounds a little more coherent and natural to me than the M1570C.
Bottom line: I really haven't listened to them enough to have a strong impression either way, but they certainly don't make me feel bad for $399 -- for $599, I don't know, I mean, they don't yet feel less resolving overall than the LCD-2 Closed except in the mid-range, where they seem a little bit hazy to me relative to the LCD-2 Closed and SRH1540.

IMG_0528.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #26 of 207
Thanks, looks like they also improved the headband compared with the 1060c. Based on what you've written, I'm not going to be any rush to buy them, especially since I already have the 1060Cs and a pair of Hifiman HE-4XX's from Massdrop. Their sales come up several times a year.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 207
Thanks, looks like they also improved the headband compared with the 1060c. Based on what you've written, I'm not going to be any rush to buy them, especially since I already have the 1060Cs and a pair of Hifiman HE-4XX's from Massdrop. Their sales come up several times a year.
Oh yes, the headband on this is way better than the M1060C, for sure -- and I've never had the open-backed M1570, but reviews seemed rather universal almost on those that the fit was a bit loose with too low clamping force, and I can say at least for my head, the M1570C doesn't feel that way: it feels very secure on my head and actually comfortable, but a little less comfortable overall than the LCD-2 Closed, which are also massive but have that suspension strap.

But at least on my head, the M1570C feel more securely perched on my head than the LCD-2 Closed, which are slightly less securely in place on my small head.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #29 of 207
I wonder if after letting them burn in for a few days of constant playback that their sound would improve and possibly open up the bass a little... I know that my 1570s did benefit from some burnin for sure.
That thought did occur to me -- I'm always slightly skeptical of burn-in, and my personal experience so far has been that only one headphone am I convinced really did change rather noticeably after play, and that was my Sennheiser HD 700, which in the first 30 minutes sounded exceptionally sharp and harsh to my ears before quickly sounding just, well, trebly and airy, lol.

I can't even be sure that was physical burn in but I remember it being so noticeable -- but also very quickly "settling", not after tens or hundreds of hours but really within the first hour or so of normal use -- that I think it really did have some physical burn-in.

Short of that experience, I really don't recall any of my headphones changing over time, but I also now have had so many headphones, I can't be sure. :sweat_smile:

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 207
I actually plunged and ordered a pair a day or so after Trellus did... just adding to my "black friday treat myself of unnecessary headphone purchases" pile of goods... and on first take I can definitely say that they improved the headband since the original production of M1070 / M1570s... These clamp and hold onto my head a lot more firmly and snug than my open back counter parts do. I can move my noggin back and forth and they hold on.

Almost tempted to email Monoprice to see if its possible to get replacements for my older M1070 and M1570 sets with this updated headband.

This is what happens when you set aside money for a ZMF Verite Closed release... miss out on the sets that caught your eye, so instead buy a handful of midFi sets to play around with. oh my.

Cant comment on sound yet, just got em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back