Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC by Alex Cavalli - Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 42
Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I think it's quite good. Neutral, balanced, and smooth. I can't say yet whether I prefer it to the Modi 3, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one. If you prefer a hyper detailed, analytical sound though, look elsewhere.
Do you hear any differences between the two? Right now I have my liquid spark amp sitting on a modi 3/heresy stack. If this dac is good i'll sell off the schiit stack and get this dac instead

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #20 of 42
Awesome thanks!

Which do you think sounds more 3 dimensional? Or are they very similar in this regard?

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 42
Not too bad, but the Schiit Modi 3 sounds better for the same price.
IMG_8570.jpg

This Liquid Spark DAC sounds good and it does not break the bank for under one hundred dollars. I put it head to head with the leader of $100 DACs, the Schiit Modi 3. The Schiit Modi 3 sounded much better. Especially with regards to higher frequencies which were diminished or absent in the Liquid Spark DAC in comparison to the Schiit Modi 3.
IMG_8571.jpg

So, what does the Liquid Spark DAC do better than the Schiit Modi 3? It is able to reject electrical interference much better. My iMac puts out a lot of electrical noise that my high end well shielded audio cables are able to reject. However, the Schiit Modi 3 defeats this effort by picking up every little bit of electrical noise. This results in audible static and pops. The Liquid Spark DAC is DEAD SILENT. It must have very good shielding with the thick metal sides of the case.

IMG_8568.jpg
So, the Liquid Spark DAC has replaced my Schiit Modi 3 DAC next to my computer. This works out great because it looks fantastic stacked with my Liquid Spark headphone amplifier. They both share the same design. If you did not know already, the Liquid Spark headphone amp, is the best $100 headphone amplifier on the planet.
IMG_8575.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 42
Ugh, why have I been using USB this whole time? The LSD sounds so much better on Coax.
Can you elaborate further? I use coax for my dacs!

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 42
I didn't notice as much difference with my Modi 3. I'm not sure if the improvements I heard with the LSD was due to it having a crappy USB input, or some other factor, but in any case, I'm very happy with the sound over Coax. It took some time for me to get used to this DAC, but now I tend to prefer it to the Modi 3. The LSD is a bit clearer and more lively, with better defined bass, but some will prefer the Modi's slightly warmer, more relaxed sound.

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #28 of 42
How does it stack with the spark amp.
Does it become too rolled off in the treble?

How is soundstage depth, width and imaging?

I am considering for a HD660S.

The build is excellent. Liquid Spark DAC looks great stacked with the Liquid Spark amp the leds are not overly bright. The rolled off treble of the Liquid Spark DAC kills the soundstage and imaging. My ears don't think this DAC is worth it. The Schiit Modi 3 DAC sounds so much better to me.

Zeos of Z Reviews does recommend recommend Liquid Spark DAC. His golden ears are better than mine.

To my ears, the Schiit Magni 3 amp sounds better than Liquid Spark amp with my Sennheiser HD6XX. In fact, it sounds the best over any amp that I have tried with the HD6XX. The Sennheiser veil disappears the most with the Schiit Magni 3 amp and it stacks beautifully with the Schiit Modi 3 DAC. However, the Liquid Spark amp is my favorite $100 amp with most other headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 42
The build is excellent. Liquid Spark DAC looks great stacked with the Liquid Spark amp the leds are not overly bright. The rolled off treble of the Liquid Spark DAC kills the soundstage and imaging. My ears don't think this DAC is worth it. The Schiit Modi 3 DAC sounds so much better to me.

Zeos of Z Reviews does recommend recommend Liquid Spark DAC. His golden ears are better than mine.

To my ears, the Schiit Magni 3 amp sounds better than Liquid Spark amp with my Sennheiser HD6XX. In fact, it sounds the best over any amp that I have tried with the HD6XX. The Sennheiser veil disappears the most with the Schiit Magni 3 amp and it stacks beautifully with the Schiit Modi 3 DAC. However, the Liquid Spark amp is my favorite $100 amp with most other headphones.
Thanks I certainly do NOT want to reduce the soundstage and imaging! The 660S probably won't be impacted as much as the HD650 but still. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back