Monitors for small listening room
Feb 16, 2013 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

digifred

New Head-Fier
I'm interested getting monitors on a pair of stands for music listening in a small computer room (2x3m) I've listened to the Dynaudio BM5A mkii, and they sound great but I'm unsure if they will work well in my room. I'm also interested in the Focal cms 40 which is a small monitor but I didn't hear them anywhere so I'm unsure how they will perform. I will be sitting 0.6m away from the speakers and I have some room treatment.
Has anyone any recommendations in this scenario?

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 11
If you heard the Dynaudios and liked the way they sounded, what made you unsure about how they would work in your room? You haven't explained why you thought they might not work. Apparently you have some insight into a potential conflict between those monitors and your room, but you haven't explained your concern. They certainly seem powerful enough for the size of your room.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm concerned I might be sitting to close to the monitors (0.6m) when Dynaudio recommends a minimum of 1m (I don't know why).
My room is on the small size but if I could make them work I think I'd have a good setup.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 11
I think you'd be fine. I don't know of anything short of headphones that would come with a specific recommendation for use at less than 0.6 meters. That may be slightly less than ideal distance, but I don't think you're really going to find any active monitor that specializes in distances of less than 0.6 meters.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 11
This CNET `audiophiliac' article may help - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57568416-47/aktimate-micro-speakers-better-than-bluetooth/ - as the author refers to several bookshelf speakers in it.

Cheers,

Andy.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 11
I use a pair of Behringer B3030A Truth for my small computer room, they have room compensation switches and they are much cheaper than the Dynaudio, about 300 Bucks for 6,75" Kevlar speaker and ribbon tweeter. Very happy with it for listening music !

http://www.behringer.com/en/Products/B3030A.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back