Monitor recommendations for under $1000
May 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

aj_brown_99

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry to post another "help me" thread. Here's my situation: I am looking at getting a pair of speakers and would like to pay $1000 or less. I do appreciate good sound as I already have a couple pairs of decent headphones. As of now, I have a USB DAC instead of a sound card and no amp. My music is trance/electronic, rock, and a bit of jazz and hip hop. I need sparkly, clear highs and deep bass (but I'm not a basshead), and mids are slightly less important, although I like a speaker that does fairly well in everything.

Setup: I currently listen to my speakers next to my monitor (2 feet away), but would be willing to use other configurations as long as I can use them with my computer.

So my question is: What speakers would you recommend, and do I need an amp? If so, what would you recommend? I was considering Quad 12L and Dynaudio MB5A, but I am fairly new to the world of speakers so I would be open to whatever you have in mind. Thanks.

May 12, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 92
The Quads would be an excellent choice. You may need to add a sub later (SVS will cost you about the same as the Quads). I haven't heard the Dynaudios, but have heard good things about them.

May 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 92
Those Dynaudios sound great, and you won't need an amp. I think you should listen to those, the JBL 4326P, and the KRK VXt series, and the Mackie HR624 and see what suits you. For versatility, the JBL's are a favorite of mine and they work well with a sub.

May 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 92
This is what you need: NHT Classic Three - Audio Video Logic
Its does farelly well in everything and it has great bass with strong dynamics.
600$ for a pair with free shipping.
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 92
Thanks for the input. Here's what I have so far:
-Audioengine A5 looks like a really good choice for the price, but wouldn't really fill up the budget especially if I get them for less than MSRP (might fit the budget in combination with a sub/amp/cables)
-JBL 4326P is about the right price since I can probably find it for under 1000. This has received very good reviews.
-Quad 12L is about on budget but there only seem to be a few people on the internet talking about them, so it is hard to know how good they are (although of the reviews that exist, they are mostly good)
-Dynaudio BM5A - heard only good things about it. Again on budget if I get a good deal
-Mackie HR624 - heard good things on head-fi but not really looked into
-NHT Classic Three - these received a great review on stereophile. They would, like the Audioengines, leave some room in my budget for a sub/something else.

I'll try to find a place to audition these speakers, but in the mean time give me your opinion! What would you get?

May 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o
-NHT Classic Three - these received a great review on stereophile. They would, like the Audioengines, leave some room in my budget for a sub/something else.

I'll try to find a place to audition these speakers, but in the mean time give me your opinion! What would you get?

If I were you, I wouldn't spend money on a sub. If you want to hear more bass, I recommend going with floorstanding speakers.

I'd go for this instead: NHT Classic Four - Audio Video Logic

The NHT classic four offer great bass, they have a built in subwoofer.
1395$ for a pair and free shipped so you don't have to rent a truck to bring them to your home.
popcorn.gif

However, If you aren't into floorstanding, I'd put the money in better audio gear like DAC, amp, preamp, cables, etc...

I'm selling a headphoneamp/PreAmp and power amp if you're interested.
ksc75smile.gif

May 13, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 92
i've listened to both when i was looking for speakers for my setup. i ended up getting normal bookshelves instead of monitors

quad for detail but bass wont be as hard hitting as the dynaudio
the dynaudio is prob the best all rounder for your type of music

May 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 92
Quad or Dynaudio for sure. The NHT are a great choice too.

IMO, you get better sound from passives, especially at this budget, but I guess not everyone can afford the desktop real estate.

May 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, you get better sound from passives, especially at this budget

Passives...those are floorstanding ones like the ones punk guy suggested? I would like to get the most of my money and have no problem going with floorstanding speakers so long as they'll still work with my computer. My setup is like this: I have a more or less square room, since all of the nooks and crannies are being occupied by my foosball table, dresser etc. My computer desk faces away from the wall in the back left corner. Bed in the back right corner. Bookshelves straight ahead of me on the opposite wall. If this would work with some floor speakers then I would be perfectly happy to go with that. Do you think this configuration would work with me?

Right now my setup goes like this: PC->DAC->some old sony stereo (headphone jack on DAC -> red and white plugin on stereo)->some old sony speakers. I only have a 1/8" headphone jack for output from my DAC. How would I configure this with floor standing speakers? Would I need a new DAC or some kind of amp or receiver? And what about better quality cables: necessary?

Thanks for all your help by the way.

May 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 92
Above budget, but worth a look: Focal CMS-50. Sold my Dynaudio BM5As which I had for two years after a month with the Focals. I use a Gamma DAC lite (USB) which makes a nice compact setup

Has front port and gain controls on both for $1100 allow you to lock in the stereo image. Has both RCA and balanced inputs. In my opinion the CMS-50s are more detailed, transparent with better bass than the BM5A monitors. YMMV

May 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 92
I had the NHT Classic 3 and can highly recommend them. They are very neutral, sweet highs, nice tight bass. It might be a better deal than buying any active monitor since the C3's are around $600 (though you still need a speaker amp), but even my Nuforce Icon could power them enough to fill a small room and hurt my ears nearfield.

I also have the Dynaudio MC15 (BM5A-C) which is really nice.

May 14, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 92
You won't need any cables beyond what you can get from Monoprice for like $5. You WILL probably need a new receiver or at least an amplifier. Passives refer to speakers that require an external power source as opposed to active monitors or bookshelves.

Could you post a picture or something of your room setup?

May 14, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 92
Quote:

You won't need any cables beyond what you can get from Monoprice for like $5.

Good!

Quote:

You WILL probably need a new receiver or at least an amplifier. Passives refer to speakers that require an external power source as opposed to active monitors or bookshelves.

Got it. What would you recommend: amp or receiver? What difference would it make?

Quote:

Could you post a picture or something of your room setup?

Hope this helps. (By the way, I sit at the computer desk facing the bookshelves)

So far I like the sound of the NHT Classic Threes but we'll see how things turn out.

May 14, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 92
Nah, let's stay away from tower speakers. Looks somewhat confined. However, I would say passives are still the way to go with your budget. I would go with an Adcom GFA-555(II) and Definitive Technology Mythos Gem Speakers. Polk Audio LSi9 will do quite well as well.

Btw, do you need another DAC /preamp or can you use the HotAudio DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back