Monitor-fi
Oct 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 92

Quote:
Please ignore all the derogatory posts in this thread. This is absolutely pitiful. English is a very difficult language to master and quite honestly, Odrackyir, you're doing much better than some native English speakers I've met.

Back on topic. I've had an HP LP2475w H-IPS display for almost two years now and love it. I believe it's been replaced with a newer model- no idea how well that holds up. HP makes good monitors and printers- I wouldn't trust anything else under that brand. 

Man, please let me thank you for giving that nice advise. I was trying to avoid HPs and Dells due to tinting issues I've read out there, but you know what, I don't think I give a damn about that anymore, I just want a 24'' nice monitor, and I think you've just put me in the right way. So thanks again.

Also, IpodPJ your pic was really funny. I mean it, I had a nice laught. Peace, and ty for your recommendation too.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 92
Let's just get this out on the table.

TN sucks dick for any type of color accuracy.  It's great if you're gaming because the response time is so low.

IPS is the best technology right now for color accuracy and the response time of the monitors has been increasing to match TN panels.  The best panels will run you a couple grand, but that's really just for color critical applications such as photography, magazines, graphic design. 

Contrast levels are bull, and so are brightness.  Having a ridiculous contrast like 100,000 is pointless because it's really just a made up number by manufacturers.  Nobody measures it the same way, there's not standard.  Same for brightness.  Plus, 200cd/m2 is plenty bright.

As for what I use...

I LOVE my Dell 2209WA.  IPS, 22", 1680x1050, AND for $210 shipped straight from Dell.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 92
^^Absolutely correct. I'd like to add to the contrast issue. You need to look at static contrast ratio rather than dynamic contrast ratio. Unfortunately, all manufacturers list dynamic ratios only due to the bigger number to wow the public that doesn't know any better. Most monitors are only 1000:1 static anyways.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 92
Ok I apologize to the OP. But you don't need to be so defensive about it. When you explain your problem with minimal details, attack the brand for your own lazyness, and not the greatest english it will obviously lead to some problems. Though you're gonna have to adjust the settings on any monitor you buy. Otherwise you're going to experience your "tinting" on every one you buy, no matter the brand. Colour is also personal preference, I've worked on people's pcs that have the most ridiculous balances and when I ask about it they look at me like I'm an idiot; since they think it's the right colours. 

Quote:
Let's just get this out on the table.

TN sucks dick for any type of color accuracy.  It's great if you're gaming because the response time is so low.

IPS is the best technology right now for color accuracy and the response time of the monitors has been increasing to match TN panels.  The best panels will run you a couple grand, but that's really just for color critical applications such as photography, magazines, graphic design. 

Contrast levels are bull, and so are brightness.  Having a ridiculous contrast like 100,000 is pointless because it's really just a made up number by manufacturers.  Nobody measures it the same way, there's not standard.  Same for brightness.  Plus, 200cd/m2 is plenty bright.

As for what I use...

I LOVE my Dell 2209WA.  IPS, 22", 1680x1050, AND for $210 shipped straight from Dell.

Have to disagree with the TNs are crap. Maybe a few years ago they were, newer ones are actually pretty decent. I used a U24010 before for 3 weeks while I was on an internship sort of thing. Really good monitor, but its $500... I know arguing price on head-fi is rather dumb, but compared to my syncmaster 2343 I can't say I'd pay that much for one. Colours may be a bit more accurate and the contrast slightly better, but I don't think that's really noticeable if you're not a graphic designer or artist of some sort. It's all subjective, I don't find it noticeable at all, unless I really look for it.

Though I'd never buy a 1680x1050 monitor, after this 2048x1152 I don't think I could stand less then 1920x1080. 1900x1200 is great, but increasingly harder to find... All the mass consumers just see "HD widescreen 1080p" and go gaga over anything.  

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 92
Hmm yeah, I'll go to a French computer forum and make a thread called 'HEADFI' to complain my HD800 doesn't work for my ipod, then attempt to insult everyone when they don't understand what I'm 'obviously' saying.

I don't see how you could possibly be unhappy about any monitor that's built within the last 3 years.
>'tilting' is your fault.
>'tinting' just send it back to the manufacturer. Dell picks up the monitor over here, not sure about elsewhere. I sent a 2208 model back and they gave me a 2210 model no questions asked.

Have you tried those before you made a thread on a forum?

I absolutely don't understand this issue. A monitor has almost no moving parts, and requires about 10 minutes to set up. How can you go wrong? Headphones on the other hand, you probably touch them more than once a day.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #21 of 92

Quote:
Hmm yeah, I'll go to a French computer forum and make a thread called 'HEADFI' to complain my HD800 doesn't work for my ipod, then attempt to insult everyone when they don't understand what I'm 'obviously' saying.

I don't see how you could possibly be unhappy about any monitor that's built within the last 3 years.
>'tilting' is your fault.
>'tinting' just send it back to the manufacturer. Dell picks up the monitor over here, not sure about elsewhere. I sent a 2208 model back and they gave me a 2210 model no questions asked.

Have you tried those before you made a thread on a forum?

I absolutely don't understand this issue. A monitor has almost no moving parts, and requires about 10 minutes to set up. How can you go wrong? Headphones on the other hand, you probably touch them more than once a day.

Already returned the monitor. As you may (or maybe not, who knows) possibly know, DELL's customer service is widely (in)famous for being one of the most stressing to deal with. Go and youtube it if you need more info. I'm not saying it's that horrible 100% of times, since as you just said your replacement went quite smooth. It's just that I really don't want to take the risk of being given a 2nd hand refurbished after waiting a month for the replacement and (as many ppl have reported out there) then finding out two weeks after receiving it that the 2nd one is defective too. I know chances may be low, but I just don't want to take the risk.

BTW Once again, I didn't make anything wrong. The monitor was just perfectly mounted in the stand. The problem was in the stand itself. Ok hope you have some DELL Uwhatever at home, coz I'm gonna try to explain it: You see that ''limb'' that goes from the stand itself to where the backside of the monitor is supposed to fit, right? Ok. You see this ''limb'' is attached to the stand by two ''rails,'' which are those supposed to allow you to adjust the monitor's height, right? Ok. Now imagine one of these rails is by default in a higher position than the other one, something you can hardly notice unless you have some ruler or something to measure it out. It's hardly noticeable, but having one rail in a higher position than the other neccessarily means that one of the ''limb's'' sides, wether it's right or left, is higher than the other. So what happens when you mount the monitor in the limb? The monitor is doomed to be higher in one of its sides.

Hope you got it this time, and look forward confirmation about it being ''tilting'', ''tinting'', or whatever

Quote:
^^Absolutely correct. I'd like to add to the contrast issue. You need to look at static contrast ratio rather than dynamic contrast ratio. Unfortunately, all manufacturers list dynamic ratios only due to the bigger number to wow the public that doesn't know any better. Most monitors are only 1000:1 static anyways.

Yeah I had already heard something about that. Don't really know what the differences are althought I'm absolutely conscious about them being completely different things. Thanks for the advise thought, this makes me more confident about not ignoring a monitor that lacks this dynamic contrast ratio:wink:

Quote:
Ok I apologize to the OP. But you don't need to be so defensive about it. When you explain your problem with minimal details, attack the brand for your own lazyness, and not the greatest english it will obviously lead to some problems. Though you're gonna have to adjust the settings on any monitor you buy. Otherwise you're going to experience your "tinting" on every one you buy, no matter the brand. Colour is also personal preference, I've worked on people's pcs that have the most ridiculous balances and when I ask about it they look at me like I'm an idiot; since they think it's the right colours. 

I really am sorry if my writing made you feel I wasn't really clear. The problem with the stand, that wasn't really the reason I returned it for, has nothing to do with my ''lazyness''. However, you may be right when you talk about color setting. Since I'm new to display hi-fi, I have to admite I didn't consider it so important.

Ty again everybody. Will post something once my new monitor has arrived 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #22 of 92
I've been using my U2410 for over a year now. Flawless so far, completely oblivious to the issues reported by other owners outa which one of 'em was the purple/green tinting or uniformity issue. Unlike some of you folks, my experience w/ their customer support department has been all but pleasant. On the flip side their QA department is a different story. 
smile_phones.gif
Anyhow I've been eyeballing the U3011 recently but it too appears to suffer from inherent shortcomings of wide gamut panels. I usually go to hardforums.com as there's a plethora of discussions on these. Any head-fier w/ U3011 yet?

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 92

Quote:
I've been using my U2410 for over a year now. Flawless so far, completely oblivious to the issues reported by other owners outa which one of 'em was the purple/green tinting or uniformity issue. Unlike some of you folks, my experience w/ their customer support department has been all but pleasant. On the flip side their QA department is a different story. 
smile_phones.gif
Anyhow I've been eyeballing the U3011 recently but it too appears to suffer from inherent shortcomings of wide gamut panels. I usually go to hardforums.com as there's a plethora of discussions on these. Any head-fier w/ U3011 yet?

I've been on hardforum debating whether or not to get the U3011 or the ZR30w. It seems the majority of us decided to go with HP.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 92
For customer support from Dell, try to get to a tier 2 or higher support level.

Tier one support, many times from india, is useless, they won't help you.  Get to their supervisor, or even higher.

I've gotten all the way up to like tier 4 support and the guy was very easy to work with.  He set everything up and I got a new panel when my old Dell 20" died awhile back.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #26 of 92
I've just received my new HP LP2475w, and I'm quite happy about almost everything on it. It did come with some tilting but unlike the Dell u2311, the horizontal rotation allowed me to solve it. The size is just perfect for me, although the monitor itself is a bit too thick. However, I've just noticed a what I'd call a ''secondary major issue'': The USBs don't work XD I've already plugged and unplugged the pc-to-display USB that came with the monitor many times, and nothing has happened. The USBs are kinda dead. It's just so lol I thought I had found 'the' monitor for me =P

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #27 of 92
Just fixed it with a trick I found, already post it in HardForum so not gonna put it again. As I've reported there, I've completely lost the sound in my computer, pressumibly due to the HDMI taking the sound reproduction to my monitor, which doesn't include speakers. So no sound.

Any ideas?

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #30 of 92

Quote:
I've just received my new HP LP2475w, and I'm quite happy about almost everything on it. It did come with some tilting but unlike the Dell u2311, the horizontal rotation allowed me to solve it. The size is just perfect for me, although the monitor itself is a bit too thick. However, I've just noticed a what I'd call a ''secondary major issue'': The USBs don't work XD I've already plugged and unplugged the pc-to-display USB that came with the monitor many times, and nothing has happened. The USBs are kinda dead. It's just so lol I thought I had found 'the' monitor for me =P

Lol that monitor is ridiculously expensive imo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back