Monitor Audio RX6
Jun 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

musicbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is a head gear site but just curious to hear who knows anything about the Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.  Can't find many reviews on them and the one I did read gave glowing reports.  I'm looking for speakers ($1000 or less) that give pinpoint imaging and blackness around voices and instruments on the soundstage in addition to superb highs, MIDS & lows.  I've got a Hsu subwoofer that will take care of the deepest bass.  I run all of my music through my desktop & into an Asus Xonar Essence One DAC.  The music is light years better than what it had been before the DAC, but my speakers seriously need replacing.  Just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's yesterday.  How many "burn in" hours before I'm blown away?  I've had music running through them since 6/19 about 2:30 pm.  They've improved since then (the tinniness has pretty much disappeared) & the instrument & voice separation is great, but I'm just not loving the bass.  It sounds boxy and limited.  So far I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth.  If I'm not LUVIN the Senns by Monday I think I'll be sending them back. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm running the Monitor Audio RS-6 in rosenut.  The RX6 is just a newer version that change by a slight amount.  For years, I bought and sold speakers.  Polk, Klipsch, Infinity Beta, Rockets, Axiom, Infinity Primus, Emotiva, BIC, Paradigm, and probably a few other brands that I didn't list.  Needless to say, I spent a bit of money on shipping to get some of these speakers to me, as well as shipping to return them.  Also, money was lost in some cases due to a depreciation that I suffered between buying a pair and then selling them.

One day, I happened upon the RS-6 speakers on Audiogon.  The seller was local to me.  Yes !!  I sent an offer through Audiogon and was counter-offered.  We then established an appointment time to meet up at his place.  $550 for the pair and I had an "As New" pair of Monitor Audio speakers with the shipping cartons and all the accessories.

I'm currently running mine with a 70 watt Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier.  The Yamaha also has a sub pre-out that is fixed at 80Hz.  So, my SVS 20-39PCi gets a signal and the Monitor Audio speakers run as "full".  Some adjustments are applied at the sub level on the SVS.  To my ears, this is the best system I've ever owned.  The Monitor Audio speakers just do the sound right.  I love them.  I'll never sell them.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 8
wje,
I looked on ebay & amazon.com for a pair of rs6's and found 2 sellers.  One was selling 1 single black speaker while the other seller was selling 1 single maple.  Made me wonder why they bothered.  I read reviews on the rs6's and would gladly have bought a pair IF I could've found a PAIR.  No such luck.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
wje,
I looked on ebay & amazon.com for a pair of rs6's and found 2 sellers.  One was selling 1 single black speaker while the other seller was selling 1 single maple.  Made me wonder why they bothered.  I read reviews on the rs6's and would gladly have bought a pair IF I could've found a PAIR.  No such luck.

I think Saturday Audio Exchange - who also sells on Audiogon might be an authorized retailer of the RX6 by Monitor Audio.  They could also get the RS6 in via trade, too.  http://www.saturdayaudio.com/  --- I just checked the used gear page and at the bottom, they had a pair of rosenut RS6, but the item has been "sold".   Arg!

Boston's craigslist has the RX6 in black for $800 a pair.  http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/3080803661.html

I'm not sure which zip or city  you're in.  PM me the info if you can.  I can put the feelers out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back