Monica2 Vs Zhaolu V2, any one?
Aug 7, 2006 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mudihan

100+ Head-Fier
They both are in the same price range and have good reviews. I hope that someone has compared them.

I am considering Monica2 (powered by Switching mode PS0-- Zhaolu discrete head-amp (powered by a tread/steps). This way, I can satisfy my DIY needs and save about $50 over Zhaolu V2+discrete amp.

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 9
I have used both DACs. For my ears, the Zhaolu, in it's Eddie-modded 'Blackgate' version with the Crystal DAC is far superior to the Monica.

It's difficult to give advice as our tastes may differ but I found the Monica thin and cold sounding. The Zhaolu seemed to be rich while still presenting ample detail.

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks!

To someone (not exactly me) who prefers very analytical sound (all details no emotion), would you say that Monica2 is in the same league as Zhaolu?

Monica2 is said to work best with amps that have at least 20k input impedance. Did you hook it up with such kind of amp? Also, did Monica2 have relatively low outputs?

Many thanks!

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 9
Low output from Monica - Yes, definitely. I needed a significant advance of volume control compared to other sources. My valve/tube amp has about 80K input impedance.

Your stated preference makes me think that you would prefer the Monica. I think both DACs will give you the detail you seek, but the Zhalou has a warmer and richer presentation. The difference beween these DACs is like the 'conventional wisdom' difference beween valve (Zhaolu) and solid-state (Monica).

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by global
Low output from Monica - Yes, definitely. I needed a significant advance of volume control compared to other sources. My valve/tube amp has about 80K input impedance.

Your stated preference makes me think that you would prefer the Monica. I think both DACs will give you the detail you seek, but the Zhalou has a warmer and richer presentation. The difference beween these DACs is like the 'conventional wisdom' difference beween valve (Zhaolu) and solid-state (Monica).

Heh? I was expecting the reverse - the monica 2 being NOS and the Zhaolu an oversampling DAC, should mean the monica 2 losing out in detail but "warmer and richer" should be its forte, if anything.

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Heh? I was expecting the reverse - the monica 2 being NOS and the Zhaolu an oversampling DAC, should mean the monica 2 losing out in detail but "warmer and richer" should be its forte, if anything.

I did not find it so! The Monica seems to me to be unusual amongst NOS DACs in having a 'lean' sound. I have used Scott Nixon's TubeDac and the DAC-AH and they seem to me to meet your expectation of warm sound. But I found Monica quite different. Perhaps the reclocking?

I am in no doubt that Monica is leaner than Zhaolu.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 9
That completely blows me away. The Monica dac is probably the warmest and smoothest DAC I have ever heard. And I have heard quite a few. Just shows how different ears, cans, speakers, etc. can change everything.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 9
monica2 can be built with different components, so the sound may be different. But this difference aside, i think the different opinions expressed here might be due to the difference in the meaning of the subjective terms as 'warm,' 'cold,' 'analytical' etc...

i have monica2 preassembled by yeo himself powered by 2 threads. With my M^3 amp (50K input impedance), I found the sounds to be fluid, lean, with soft bass and soft high and little dynamic.... smootth and bland. I haven't head the zhaolu, so i don' know how the two would fair. Monica2 sounds very similar to my cambridge audio CD6 cd player and very different from my Sony SCD-CE595 which is more dynamic, has stronger bass, and a more lively sound,.... the world is more exciting and colorful with CE595.).

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 9
The original poster should take advice from anyone who has posted whose opinion he has previously agreed with. I did say 'to my ears', and, yes, the rest of the system will make a big difference.

To me Monica is still 'thin', by which I mean that a certain dynamic quality has been lost and some bass lighness is noted. This is to me, my ears, my system, my room etc.

I suspect that I am in a minority!

I will be interested in Mudihan's views if he gets a chance to hear a Monica.

Best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back