Monica 2 connectors
Dec 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NC1111

100+ Head-Fier
I didn't see any signal output connectors on the Monica 2. Also, how would I connect a power supply, which I just realized isn't a part of the kit.

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 17
^Are you guys just making up stuff and passing it on as fact?

The Monica isn't usb powered. You need a 12v power supply to power it. Check monica's howto page on diyparadise. There are leads already soldered onto the board.

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 17
As n4 already said, you can feed the monica (provided you have the right module) as usb signal but that doesn't make it buss powered. It requires and external power supply and I say this without trying to be condescending, if you can't figure out how to source a power supply for it your odds of getting it working are pretty low.

My Monica (long since sold) used a TREAD power supply. They are still available as a partial kit from tangentsoft.net.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Are you guys just making up stuff and passing it on as fact?

The Monica isn't usb powered. You need a 12v power supply to power it. Check monica's howto page on diyparadise. There are leads already soldered onto the board.

I mean the Monica version with the USB input, not the coaxial input.

I used a Tread with a 12v ac wallwart set to 17.5 v DC.

You could consider a wallwart with a DC output of between 12 - 18 volts. The Monica 2 USB comes with two wires already soldered to the PCB. Make sure the red wire is connected to the positive voltage, and the black connected to the negative voltage. Yeo recommends 15v - 18v for best performance, but you will need to heatsink the onboard regulator if your voltage is this high. Even with a heatsink, mine gets quite warm. In theory, you should get better performance with a tread, as it should be a cleaner power supply than using a dc voltage straight from a wall wart.

On the end of the PCB where the power suppy goes into is 4 holes.

The two middle holes are the ground output signal. The hole nearest to the power supply input is the right out, and the hole furtherest from the power supply is the left out.

The original post was asking about the signal output connectors, as well as the power supply.

This is what Yeo, the designer emailed me:

"the center 2 holes are ground. The hole closest to power supply wire is R, the one furthest is L."

N4, with all respect, perhaps you need to consider posts more closely before you accuse me of making stuff up and passing it on as fact.

NC1111, if you can't follow the above, you may struggle putting it all together, but that is all part of the fun of audio diy and part of the learning curve. I'm not sure from your enquiry whether you can solder or not. Soldering is essential. Practice on something else to get the skill of soldering, otherwise you will risk damaging the pcb and blowing your dough. Constructing a tread is more involved, as you will need to identify components, and install them all correctly.

I only completed my Monica yesterday, so feel free to PM me for any further help as it is still fresh in my mind. I can probably send you a photo to help with your wiring.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As n4 already said, you can feed the monica (provided you have the right module) as usb signal but that doesn't make it buss powered. It requires and external power supply and I say this without trying to be condescending, if you can't figure out how to source a power supply for it your odds of getting it working are pretty low.

Actually, this isn't completely true. The dac section is USB powered (5v). It is the gain stage that requires external power. But yes, without a psu it is useless.

To be fair to the op, there are no instructions and papers at all that come with the module, and if there is a how-to page at diyparadise, I couldn't find it.

Anyways, Lavalamp has provided very good instructions. I wouldn't worry about a tread ps for now. You can always take on that project down the road if you want. If you need soldering tips, Tangents "getting started in audio diy" is very helpful (google).

As stated, there is a learning curve, just don't be discouraged by others.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 17
Here's some pics of my Monica 2 USB with tread:

007.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

I wouldn't recommend the cigar box as a casing option. It will almost certainly break as you unplug the RCA interconnects. I am also worried about heat build up (the regulator on the dac gets quite warm). With the light wood and paper lining, it is probably a mild fire risk.

I'm going to recase this in a nice metal enclosure. For that reason, I haven't tidied up the internals, so excuse the messy layout.

All in all, this is a quite good DAC for the $$$. I am still burning in the blackgates, so there is potential for even better performance.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 17
Great pics, Lava.
I was wondering about heat issues. Yeo sells them in wooden enclosures and I was going to follow suit and find a nice small hardwood box. I never saw any means of ventilation on his enclosures, but I may drill a few holes to be safe.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics, Lava.
I was wondering about heat issues. Yeo sells them in wooden enclosures and I was going to follow suit and find a nice small hardwood box. I never saw any means of ventilation on his enclosures, but I may drill a few holes to be safe.

I'm only worried because the wood used for the cigar box is very light and flimsy, and paper lined.

I can't see any issue with a more substantial wooden enclosure such as what Yeo uses.

6moons reviewed Yeo's gear in wooden enclosures, and I don't think they raised any issues about heat:

6moons audio reviews: DIY Paradise Monica, Maggie & Charlize

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to try to fit it into the smallest enclosure that will reasonably fit all the components. It will most likely have a hinged lid of some kind, so should be easy enough to guage the heat and give it some ventilation if needed.

What is that amp to the left of the Monica in the pics?

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 17
Looks nice.
I've been looking at some of the DIY amps out there, and like AMB Labs stuff a lot. And the M^3 is supposed to do good things with Grados, which especially interests me.
I hope it's a good match with the Monica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back