Money to spend but no clue which headphone...
Feb 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vintrist

New Head-Fier

[size=10pt]Hello Audiophiles![/size]

[size=10pt]I came in touch with this forum cause I’m intending to buy a new headphone. What do I like this forum :D[/size]
[size=10pt]I have about 350 euro (+-350$) max to spend on a new headphone.[/size]

[size=10pt]I had bought a BOSE on-ear headphone, which I already sold cause it made me sick! Never again....(plastic wasn't fantastic in this case :wink: )[/size]

[size=10pt]The amount of content and information I have found on this forum is absolutely phenomenal, but I personally kind of lost it and have no clue what to buy now.[/size]
[size=10pt]1)First i had the idea to buy the Bowers & Wilkins P5, but i read some reviews that do not encourage me to buy it (from what i understood, the treble wasn't that good and it was too expensive).[/size]
[size=10pt]2)Then I came in touch with Sennheiser, they make some nice headphones! (I have the in-ear "cx300II" for snowboarding and must say they offer an acceptable sound for that price.). I was interested in the "HD 600/650" or the "HD 25-1 II".[/size]
[size=10pt]The part where it went wrong is the amplifier(confused me), I don't have the intention to use an amp. But deciding which headphone is the one to go with is hard... can somebody help me out? Or do I rather not spend too much money cause I’ll be losing much of the quality.. [/size]

[size=10pt]Some facts about my personal setup:[/size]
[size=10pt]I ordered the Bowens & Wilkins Zeppelin air(arriving tomorrow, no headphone output!)[/size]
[size=10pt]and use the onboard HD audio chip from my computer for a Logitech z-5500 (sound: loud but no quality, connected with spdif)[/size]
[size=10pt]BUT the main use of the new headphone will be outside when studying (university, so a lot :wink:). Also on a boat when it's sunny outside, or even in France at the beach.[/size]
[size=10pt]Sometimes[/size] [size=10pt]I will use my Samsung Galaxy sII ( in may the new sIII), or my Ipod classic.[/size]
[size=10pt]I expect an Asus transformer Prime, and think I'll probably use this device often, in combination with the new headphone(class, garden, bed,... no noisy places). Also my Sony Vaio vpcf12m1e (with spdif output, so I expect a not too bad soundcard) will be used to power the headphone.[/size]

Do you need more information, just ask! Hopefully the English I wrote is somewhat understandable :p

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 5
The hd650's are my absolute favorite headphones. They still sound great without an amp, but to my knowledge, they require an amp for full potential. You should look into some grado headphones. Such as the grado sr325i's or the Alessandro MS2i headphones, I haven't had the chance to hear these yet, but i hear very good things about them. They seem to be in your price range and wont require an amp to drive. You'll probably end up changing your mind about what headphones to get every ten minutes, but don't worry.......it's normal.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the fast reply! I love the hd650 as well, do you think they are better than the Bowers&Wilkins p5? There are people who say nothing compares to the p5, and people who do not like them at all.... I'm scared to buy the HD650 and regret it afterwards(not hearing the difference that much, or am I wrong?). Damn finding a good headphone is difficult :p

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 5
I wouldn't get the HD650's if you're gonna use them at school or outside. They just leak too much in my opinion and just aren't portable headphones. 

They are excellent for home use but maybe you should get closed headphones if you're primarily going to use them outside of your room. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Oh wow, i'm sorry. I completely missed the fact that you wanted to carry them around! For closed headphones i like ultrasones from personal experience, but ive also heard some good things about aiaiai TMA-1 headphones. You might want to check those out, even though i havent had personal experience with the TMA-1's. And i can't offer much help with the bowers and wilkins headphones, ive never experienced them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back