Money is noooo object, and then a little bit, and then more...
Jun 28, 2005 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mseidl

New Head-Fier
Ok, I am going to build a headphone amp...

Tell me what are good parts to buy in 3 scenarios...

The first scenario is - money is no object...

Second is, the whole amp needs to cost less then 500$

Third is, less then 200$ for the whole shibang.

Please list specific parts, why you would choose them, pricing(or guess), and if available a place to buy.

I would say I am an audiophile, I have played the piano for 18 years, I listen to ALL music - rock, opera, jazz, rap, metal, 30s-80s, classical, algerian folk music, ha! So, yes.

Headphones are also not picked yet, but I think the sennheiser 595s or 600s.

Ok, thanks!

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 14
well its hard to tell you what parts to buy if you don't give people more information, like what design you want to use, where you are gonna use it, etc, etc, eetc

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 14
portability isnt an issue.

For the less then 200$ one, it would be, it would be something I would carry around.

Parts Im most interested in are

caps
resistors
dacs(to possibly run from optical input) but just a thought right now
ic amps
pots

housing i will build

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 14
It would also be helpful to know where in the world you are...

And the only place that I've ever had a bad experience is Newark. While their prices are decent and in some cases lower than Mouser or DigiKey their shipping is beyond expensive (and they won't tell you how much before you pay for it) and their packaging is the biggest joke I've ever seen. Blind cows could pack more efficiently.

My 0.02,

Nate

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 14
I live in Germany, about 45minutes south of the Mecca, stuttgart, which gives birth to mercedes and porsches
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 14
I'd look into a tube amp kit like the bottlehead S.E.X. or Mapletree EAR+. They'll be a little more difficult than something like a PPA, but you'll probably have more fun doing it. I'll probably build the S.E.X. later this year or early next year as a small speaker amp for my computer.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 14
vielen danke für die webseite. wo wohnen sie? ich bin aus reutlingen.
Was für kopfhörer mögen sie? Ich denke ich mag die sennheiser 595 die beste. wissen sie eine gute hifi shop wo ich kann mehr hören? Ich habe keine geschäft dass hat sehr gut produkte gefunden.

mfg,
Martin

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 14
They don't get much better then 595s. There's the 600s and 650s. I'm not sure how the discontinued 580s sound but they'd be in the 595s league. Other then that Grado SR-80, and a fwe from other brands.

By the way I don't think anyone originally really understands the orignial question. Are you looking for the best amp given your budget or the best components for an amp?

Sure Dynahi's fit under the $500 budget, but then again I could also blow $450 on a pot and build a CMoy with the leftovers.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 14
my skill levels are decent. i have experience with robotics/circuit design and such. I am a little rusty at the moment, but I am currently practicing a lot and will undertake this when im ready.

also... do the 595s NEED to be amplified? just asking for portable use.

also, does anybody know which phones are the best for noise cancelation?

NO IN EAR PHONES! I hate them.

Jun 29, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mseidl
my skill levels are decent. i have experience with robotics/circuit design and such. I am a little rusty at the moment, but I am currently practicing a lot and will undertake this when im ready.

you'll need experience with soldering electronics to build an high-end amp, otherwise you should start building a cmoy first

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseidl
also, does anybody know which phones are the best for noise cancelation?
NO IN EAR PHONES! I hate them.

try Ultrasone headphones, they have a closed design and are available from http://www.meier-audio.de
for information about headphones take a look at the headphone subforum

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
And the only place that I've ever had a bad experience is Newark. While their prices are decent and in some cases lower than Mouser or DigiKey their shipping is beyond expensive

+++++

Newark will REEM you on shipping.

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 14
Audio is a personal experience and each has their own tastes. We cannot decide FOR you want a low/mid/high range amp will be.

In addition to getting the experience building lesser amps, it also allows to get the experience in what you like.

As for brands of each part- more fiction than fact, or eyecandy than utility if you will.

Not even having the headphones, you're really wasting your time on high-end amp daydreaming. Get the cans, decide if you even like them- they'll make far more difference in the sound than your "low" end sub-$200 amp vs. the high end one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back