Monarchy NM24 or Stello DA100 Signature...
Aug 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the market for a new DAC. I was set on the Stello DA100 because it matched my price range, but now I am not too worried about price. I want something that I will probably not need to upgrade for a year or two. However, if the Stello is relatively close in performance, I want to go with it.

I probably won't find many people who have heard both, but is the Monarchy a step above most of the sub $1000 DAC's? I'm thinking because I love the sound of tubes that it will be a great match for me. I've been looking at it for a while, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of people who have it.

Any advice appreciated!

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the market for a new DAC. I was set on the Stello DA100 because it matched my price range, but now I am not too worried about price. I want something that I will probably not need to upgrade for a year or two. However, if the Stello is relatively close in performance, I want to go with it.

I probably won't find many people who have heard both, but is the Monarchy a step above most of the sub $1000 DAC's? I'm thinking because I love the sound of tubes that it will be a great match for me. I've been looking at it for a while, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of people who have it.

Any advice appreciated!

Of course I'm biased... but... the M24 and NM24 ('08 version) are reported by the reviewers to be some of the best DACs available at any price. See the reviews at the Monarchy site.

Never heard the Stello - so I don't know how it compares. I relied on the reviews, and the comments on Headfi, which raved about the M24. And... I wasn't disappointed.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 37
Yea, I've seen the reviews at the Monarchy site but honestly they are biased.
biggrin.gif

But this is the case for most manufacturers. They list the best and most positive reviews on their sites. It only makes good business sense. That's why I am tapping into the head-fi community. lol

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I've seen the reviews at the Monarchy site but honestly they are biased.
biggrin.gif

But this is the case for most manufacturers. They list the best and most positive reviews on their sites. It only makes good business sense. That's why I am tapping into the head-fi community. lol

How would you know "they are biased."

They have no affiliation with Monarchy.

Just because they are "glowing" doesn't mean they are "biased." It is just as possible that they are truly objective reviews. The reviewers seem to have heard most of the good DACs... and to have a good basis for their comments.

It's fine to be a "skeptic," but I don't think you're being "objective" in your position... unless you have some "factual evidence" to support it.

The "objective skeptic" would take the position that... "the reviews all seem so positive... that I find them difficult to accept as truly objective reviews." That's fine... you're stating your skepticism... but... you're not proclaiming them "biased" without any factual evidence.

The only real way to form a truly "objective" opinion... is to experience them for yourself. I encourage you to do so... you won't be disappointed!

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 37
The Monarchy reviews (even the customer comments) tend to be fairly unbiased, IMO. They post them all, good or bad, full of misspellings and typos. I appreciate that honesty, lol.

Doesn't Monarchy offer a 30 day guarantee? I know they do with the DIP, which I'm currently trying out.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you know "they are biased."

They have no affiliation with Monarchy.

Just because they are "glowing" doesn't mean they are "biased." It is just as possible that they are truly objective reviews. The reviewers seem to have heard most of the good DACs... and to have a good basis for their comments.

It's fine to be a "skeptic," but I don't think you're being "objective" in your position... unless you have some "factual evidence" to support it.

The "objective skeptic" would take the position that... "the reviews all seem so positive... that I find them difficult to accept as truly objective reviews." That's fine... you're stating your skepticism... but... you're not proclaiming them "biased" without any factual evidence.

The only real way to form a truly "objective" opinion... is to experience them for yourself. I encourage you to do so... you won't be disappointed!

Obviously me saying the reviews are biased is my opinion.

I am not saying that their trying to be deceptive at all, but if you read the reviews you will see that typically everything is a positive note. All equipment has it's pros and cons. That is why I am coming here where I can get multiple views and from people who bought the unit.

Most times, the manufacturer gives the reviewer its product to review(which is even stated in a few of the reviews). In this case, the reviewer rarely ever talks about the bad, because and when they do the review is typically not used on the manufacturers site. This is not just with Monarchy, this is typical with about every other review that is requested by manufacturers.

Go to a lot of the commercial product sites....woo, rsa, etc. The reviews typically have the same format and as I said before it is perfect business sense because you want the people who visit to buy the product.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 37
Question: Does the Monarchy have balanced outputs? It doesn't look like it does from the site. If not, I may go with the Stello because in the future I plan to go balanced.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 37
Hi, I am the happy owner of a new Monarchy NM24. This is my 8th home (as opposed to portable) DAC, and the units previously owned are:

1. Silverstone EB-01
2. Lite DAC-AH (stock)
3. Lite DAC-AH w/ passive mods
4. Musical Fidelity X-DAC w/ a Little Pinkie PSU
5. Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 w/ a Little Pinkie PSU
6. Oritek V4.1
7. HeadRoom 06 Micro Dac

The Monarchy NM24 has about 38 hours of burn in and the new 08 model incorporates both a Tube and an SS DAC as well as a tube line stage. For the utmost performance of the SS DAC Mr. Poong recommends a coupling transformer which he sells for $200 and I am actually thinking of getting it. The coupling transformer is not needed for the tube dac.

As you can see from the list of home dac's I listed the two most expensive ones I have owned are the MF X-DAC V3 and the Oritek V4.1. Both were very nice sounding units and the Oritek is a very good deal for its selling price of a tad over $600 (by the time you include the PayPal and S&H fees).

However I can say w/o a doubt that my amps have never sounded as good as they do now! And that is w/ only 38 or so hours of burn in on the Monarchy NM24.

Yes, it has more detail, clarity, extension, impact, etc. Things I would have expected as you climb the price ladder. What sets this dac apart is:

1. Air between the notes, you can truly tell where a note starts/ends.
2. Instrument placement, after closing your eyes you can visualize the location of the various instruments in front and around yourself.
3. Depth as well as width of the soundstage. This brings a sense of being there that my previous dac's were not able to do.

I would hope that by the time the unit reaches the 200 hour mark the nuances and further ability to separate as well as bring more musicality will become more noticeable. Now that I have had an opportunity to listen to the unit I do not find the NM24 reviews exagerate or bias.

The Monarchy NM24 is a single ended DAC, I can not comment on the Stello. BTW, you should check Audiogon, Mr. Poon is running an special on the Monarch NM24 (about a $500 savings).
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I am the happy owner of a new Monarchy NM24. This is my 8th home (as opposed to portable) DAC, and the units previously owned are:

1. Silverstone EB-01
2. Lite DAC-AH (stock)
3. Lite DAC-AH w/ passive mods
4. Musical Fidelity X-DAC w/ a Little Pinkie PSU
5. Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 w/ a Little Pinkie PSU
6. Oritek V4.1
7. HeadRoom 06 Micro Dac

The Monarchy NM24 has about 38 hours of burn in and the new 08 model incorporates both a Tube and an SS DAC as well as a tube line stage. For the utmost performance of the SS DAC Mr. Poong recommends a coupling transformer which he sells for $200 and I am actually thinking of getting it. The coupling transformer is not needed for the tube dac.

As you can see from the list of home dac's I listed the two most expensive ones I have owned are the MF X-DAC V3 and the Oritek V4.1. Both were very nice sounding units and the Oritek is a very good deal for its selling price of a tad over $600 (by the time you include the PayPal and S&H fees).

However I can say w/o a doubt that my amps have never sounded as good as they do now! And that is w/ only 38 or so hours of burn in on the Monarchy NM24.

Yes, it has more detail, clarity, extension, impact, etc. Things I would have expected as you climb the price ladder. What sets this dac apart is:

1. Air between the notes, you can truly tell where a note starts/ends.
2. Instrument placement, after closing your eyes you can visualize the location of the various instruments in front and around yourself.
3. Depth as well as width of the soundstage. This brings a sense of being there that my previous dac's were not able to do.

I would hope that by the time the unit reaches the 200 hour mark the nuances and further ability to separate as well as bring more musicality will become more noticeable. Now that I have had an opportunity to listen to the unit I do not find the NM24 reviews exagerate or bias.

The Monarchy NM24 is a single ended DAC, I can not comment on the Stello. BTW, you should check Audiogon, Mr. Poon is running an special on the Monarch NM24 (about a $500 savings).
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Exactly the type of info I am looking for. And yea I checked audiogon a few days ago and that's why I may get one instead of the stello. I'd hate to have to sell it when I go balanced though.
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 37
I found a good deal on a Monarchy NM24 that was used. Can't wait!!

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 37
Well Sixers Fax, I guess you are going to have to write the review comparing the two of these DACs (assuming you have heard the Stello). I have been following the comments and both of these DACs (and others) are on my list of considerations.

Can you report whether you have heard the Stello so I can know whether there may be some upcoming comments?

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckoffend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Sixers Fax, I guess you are going to have to write the review comparing the two of these DACs (assuming you have heard the Stello). I have been following the comments and both of these DACs (and others) are on my list of considerations.

Can you report whether you have heard the Stello so I can know whether there may be some upcoming comments?

Sorry
frown.gif
I haven't heard the stello. I will post a detailed review on the monarchy in a couple weeks.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 37
I've got the NM24 also. For me it came down to a choice between that and the Cambridge 840C DAC/CD player which I auditioned extensively in Hi Fi store up the road from where I live. Perhaps the best recommendation I can give is that since it arrived around 4 months ago I have lost the desire to research audio gear, I just listen to music now and say prayers of thanks that I am lucky enough to have such a pure connection to it!!!!

I run the NM24 into a Cyrus 8vs2 to great effect with modified/DIY 2-way floor-standing speakers that cost around $1300 US - I know memory can play tricks but I've not been impressed to the point of feeling like I'm missing out listening to rigs valued up to $15k in showrooms. I use HD650's amped directly by the line stage of the NM24 and have not heard anything better (including Benchmark, Corda Opera, Ray Samuels, Stello). Its all IMO of course :)

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 37
Well the unit has been here two days, and the line amp that is included is truly impressive. It really sounds good. It almost wouldn't make sense to spend money on an amp for the extra performance.....but I already did, so what the hell.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back