Monarchy NM24 or Cambridge 840C
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

boggle

New Head-Fier
Ok gang I've got my list down to these two and I respectfully invite comments an either with respect to SQ and would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has heard both. I know that they have different functionality strengths (cd transport vs line/head amp), but my main focus is the differences in the sound. I have auditioned the 840C and it sounds great but am very tempted by what I have read about the NM24 - the bloke who makes them is tops as well, answers emails promptly and professionally.

I know the focus around here is HeadPhones but I'll be feeding my new source into a Cyrus 8vs2 driving pretty sweet modified two way floorstanders that I've not heard bested by speaker rigs up to around $5000 (for the speakers).

The little Headamp I use (Core-Sound Headline) is completely neutral and drives my HD650's easily - obviously if I go with the NM24 I'll use the line stage as a head amp with the 650's as suggested elsewhere around here and by the designer.

Looking forward to any comments people might have.

Cheers.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Just some of my thoughts as the "proud owner of the M24."

First - do you want a warm, liquid, lush sound, or a clear, detailed, crystaline sound? The 840C is likely to have a bit more of the latter, and a bit less of the former, while the NM24 will have more of the former.

Second - do you have a tube buffer, or any other tubes in the signal path? The Cyrus is a SS amp, as I understand. With the 840C and a SS amp, and no tubes in the path, you may get a very cool, analytical sound.

Third - did you consider the M24 (with silver face plate)? From reports I've seen it has a better sound than the newer NM24 - less analytical, and with a richer, warmer, more liquid, more lush sound.

Personally... I'd get the 840C only if I had a good tube amp, and perhaps a tube buffer to warm the sound, and give it that rich tube character and texture. Otherwise, I'd get a tube DAC.

The M24 has a bit of that tube sound, and does sound very good, directly out of the line stage with the Senns - though, I prefer the HD600s to the HD650s (greater clarity and detail). But, even it is not as rich, lush, and liquid as other tube DACs, or tube amps. Based on the reports I've seen, I would be concerned that the NM24 would have too much of a SS sound, and not as much of a tube sound. I often use the M24 with a MF X10 v3 tube buffer and DV332 tube amp to provide even more tube warmth and richness.

In that context... the M24 is a superb, "World-class" DAC - rated nearly as good as $17,000 DACs (as you've no doubt seen)... and an incredible value - it is great, and I will not be soon selling mine.

So... there you have it... if you want a SS sound get the 840C, and secondarily the NM24. If you want more of a tube sound, get the M24. And if you want a tube sound with lots of detail, though it still may be a bit cool... get the 840C with a tube buffer and tube amp.

And... yes... Ching Poon is a great vendor, with great customer service!

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that context... the M24 is a superb, "World-class" DAC - rated nearly as good as $17,000 DACs (as you've no doubt seen)...

Must have missed that one. Which reviewer and which "$17K DAC"?

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must have missed that one. Which reviewer and which "$17K DAC"?

It was the Reimyo... go to the Monarchy Audio site and read the various reviews - don't recall which review it was... but one of them.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping to see some feedback on this topic as I am also interested in this.

I'm not sure you'll find it a lot better than you're Sigma II Tube DAC. The Sigma II, with the Tung Sol 12AX7 tube is... great! I've got both it and the Alpha Tube DAC, which is a "wee bit" better, and more refined.

The M24 is a "wee bit" better than either of these... but... not likely enough to justify the price. It may have just a "wee bit" more detail and soundstage.

Though... I can't make up my mind which one I like better, or I wouldn't keep all three. And... I'm still wondering if the M24 will get a lot better with more burn in - I really haven't got a lot of hours on mine yet. But... as for now... all three of these are superb.

Each of these are incredible bargains - and provide that rich tube sound, yet with detail and refinement.

But... I guess... If I were going to experiment with a "different sound" - I'd likely try the 840C with a tube buffer and tube amp... just to see if the tubes would warm the 840C enough, while providing even greater detail and refinement.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the Reimyo... go to the Monarchy Audio site and read the various reviews - don't recall which review it was... but one of them.

It was Bound For Sound. He's a great reviewer, but he does have some definite sonic leanings. His systems are often high power SS amp + large multi way average sensitivity speakers, and as such, a piece of tubed gear will definitely help somewhere in there
smily_headphones1.gif

It's interesting what you say about Cal Alpha and M24. I used to own Alpha with various NOS tubes. You're right it's a great DAC, but its greatest weakness was the soft bass dynamics no matter what tweaks. Does M24 overcome this to a significant degree?

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was Bound For Sound. He's a great reviewer, but he does have some definite sonic leanings. His systems are often high power SS amp + large multi way average sensitivity speakers, and as such, a piece of tubed gear will definitely help somewhere in there
smily_headphones1.gif

It's interesting what you say about Cal Alpha and M24. I used to own Alpha with various NOS tubes. You're right it's a great DAC, but its greatest weakness was the soft bass dynamics no matter what tweaks. Does M24 overcome this to a significant degree?

I also have the same bias... I just can't "get into" the SS sound without some tubes to make the sound more realistic - probably why I'm so pleased with these DACs and the DV332.

The bass of the Alpha, or Sigma II, is improved a lot with the Delta Transport, and with the Tung Sol tubes, or even the Shuguang v9 tubes. Its not as strong with the JJs, or some others. Very rich and full, but solid and tight.

The M24's bass is very similar - but, I find it very extended and solid. Very similar to my XDAC v3 was. The M24 may have just a bit more clarity, and speed than the CALs - which makes it seem just slightly less rich and full, than the CALs do.

I don't have another amp to compare - so... I'm unsure whether its the effects of the DV332. Though... I do notice the bass is a bit better with the Delta as the transport, compared to the CD25 as the transport, which has even more clarity and speed, which makes it seem sharper, and a hair leaner.

Its possible that you have a SS preference, in which case... you may not find any mid-level tube gear will have sharp enough bass for you - the attack of my tube gear is "a hair" less than that of my SS gear. If so... you most likely would be more pleased with the 840C + a good tube amp... maybe with a tube buffer.

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey, thanks for the comments guys. I've just pulled the trigger on the NM24 so I'll be posting my impressions in a week or so. I've never experienced the valve magic that you lot are in to (other than short auditions which always sound impressive, need to spend some time to really form an opinion) and that's what tipped me over the edge for the Monarchy - searching for something new. I'll give it a go - pretty excited!!!!

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boggle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for the comments guys. I've just pulled the trigger on the NM24 so I'll be posting my impressions in a week or so. I've never experienced the valve magic that you lot are in to (other than short auditions which always sound impressive, need to spend some time to really form an opinion) and that's what tipped me over the edge for the Monarchy - searching for something new. I'll give it a go - pretty excited!!!!

Of course you realize... I got my M24 for around $800... so it's an incredible value at that price. But, even at a higher price... its still "better than most" and an "incredible value."

Also... you may realize... that the NM24 (black face plate) has a different chip, than the M24, and has a more SS sound overall, than the M24 (silver face plate) - hopefully that's what you were seeking. It should have a bit more detailed sound, but less of a warm, tubey, organic sound. And, of course you can swap back and forth between the SS DAC circuit and the Tube DAC circuit - but, it still has more of a SS sound with either one. Though, I suppose you could "warm it up" with some NOS tubes (e.g. Amperex, Siemens, etc.) - but, at a price.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 13
Yes I realize that - thanks Gradofan. I'm quite keen on detail, and the idea of being able to A/B the SS versus the tube output dacs appeals to me - although I'm sure this will be a novelty and one will win out. Mr Poon claims that the NM24 is their flagship unit by the way.

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boggle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I realize that - thanks Gradofan. I'm quite keen on detail, and the idea of being able to A/B the SS versus the tube output dacs appeals to me - although I'm sure this will be a novelty and one will win out. Mr Poon claims that the NM24 is their flagship unit by the way.

Yes the NM24 is their latest and their "flagship" unit.

Its just that it has a different sound than the M24 - its sound is more like SS than tube output... it's a bit colder, and less "tubey"... though, not a lot. But enough that other's have noted that difference. If you prefer SS sound - you'll most likely love it. If you prefer a more "tubey" sound... you may not.

But... no matter, you've got 30 days to decide, and to return it, if you don't prefer its sound.

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 13
My NM24 has arrived! I spent a couple of hours setting up my listening space last night then had about an hour of listening - wow! Damn I love upgrading, I reckon I got 10% of the purchase price worth of pleasure already. This thing is magical with acoustic instruments and the female voice. Mainly listened using my speaker rig (SB3>NM24>Cyrus 8vs2 and some modified boxes that keep up with anything under $5k) . Imitial imprestions of the line stage used to amp my HD650's are VERY positive also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back