Monarchy M24 ?
Jan 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jpr703

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone out there have any experience with this combination DAC/Linestage?

It's gotten some great reviews and after talking with the folks at Monarchy, I've found that with a relatively inexpensive connector, the linestage can be used as a headphone amp.

I don't really need a linestage since it would be used in my headphone rig and I don't know that I could justify the cost unless it could replace my MPX3 Slam--and that's a tall order!

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone out there have any experience with this combination DAC/Linestage?

It's gotten some great reviews and after talking with the folks at Monarchy, I've found that with a relatively inexpensive connector, the linestage can be used as a headphone amp.

I don't really need a linestage since it would be used in my headphone rig and I don't know that I could justify the cost unless it could replace my MPX3 Slam--and that's a tall order!

I'm listening to it right now - and its simply superb with my HD580/600s and HD650s, as well as all my other phones. I've got the Radio Shack GS RCA to 1/4 in Y Adapter cable - and it works as well as my DV332. Don't know how it will compare to your MPX3, but it sounds vitually as good as my DV332 (although the DV332 may "manhandle" my HD650s just a slight bit better - not sure).

You won't be disappointed!

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

I've heard people say that it has good synergy with the Senns. Anyone try it with RS-1s?

Its good with the RS-1s... but not as good as with the Senns, or AD2000s. The RS-1s definitely sound better out of the DV332 or XCAN v3 with the M24 DAC.

But, the Senns are great!

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I've heard that you can have a couple of parts replaced to match the Grado impedence for about $100. Anyone tried that?

Haven't tried it... nor... read about it - though I assume it could be done.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 10
What exactly is the "relatively inexpensive connector" referred to in the opening post? I have a Monarchy M24 and would love to try the pre-amp section to power my Sennheiser 580 or markl-modded Denon AH-D5000.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobra_verde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is the "relatively inexpensive connector" referred to in the opening post? I have a Monarchy M24 and would love to try the pre-amp section to power my Sennheiser 580 or markl-modded Denon AH-D5000.

I'm listening to it right now - and its simply superb with my HD580/600s and HD650s, as well as all my other phones. I've got the Radio Shack GS RCA to 1/4 in Y Adapter cable - and it works as well as my DV332. Don't know how it will compare to your MPX3, but it sounds vitually as good as my DV332 (although the DV332 may "manhandle" my HD650s just a slight bit better - not sure).

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks, Gradofan2, I see, just a simple RCA to 1/4 inch is all that is required. I shot an email off to Monarchy and they sell one for $15, and say this mates extremely well with the Sennheiser 580/600/650, and are working on a 300Ohm-to-30Ohm adaptor for about $100. This is supposed to be the solution for Grados and my Denons. It will be ready in about a month.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobra_verde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Gradofan2, I see, just a simple RCA to 1/4 inch is all that is required. I shot an email off to Monarchy and they sell one for $15, and say this mates extremely well with the Sennheiser 580/600/650, and are working on a 300Ohm-to-30Ohm adaptor for about $100. This is supposed to be the solution for Grados and my Denons. It will be ready in about a month.

In the meantime... you can always try the Radio Shack cable... and... see what you think. You might be surprised. Its only $7, and you can always take it back, if you don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back