Monarchy M24 Phone Amp... Its FREE!
Dec 15, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone tried the phone amp in the Monarchy M24? If so, what did you think?

The M24 has a line stage, to which you can connect your headphones directly... if you have an adapter to convert from RCA connections to a phone jack/phone plug of your headphones.

I'm trying it out right now - and it sounds pretty good - remarkable clarity, resolution, detail, instrument separation... and soundstage. A very well balanced sound with no over-emphasis of any frequencies.

I'm trying to decide if I like it enough to eliminate my amp. It may be just a bit too lean and clean - without quite as much weight, and tone body as my DV332. But... on the other hand... it seems to provide much greater clarity - perhaps a good complement to my Senns.

The M24 is a suprisingly good DAC/Amp combo - the DAC alone is "World-Class." Pretty amazing... really.

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 6
For those of your who have the Monarchy M24 Tube DAC/LS... you really should try your HD650s, or HD580/600s with the Line Stage amp!

You will be amazed at how it transforms these phones into real headphones (eliminates the veil), and adds remarkable clarity - actually rivaling the DV332.

And... best of all... its FREE!

You can often buy the M24 for around $800-$1200 on Audiogon. The DAC is one of the best available at any price... it is remarkable... and you get the headphone amp "thrown in."

It could be a wee bit bright with Grados and ATHs... but... you can roll the tubes to tame the highs.

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 6
I'll be letting you know soon, since I just purchased one used unit myself. However, I'll have to find an RCA-to-mini cable first.

By the way, since the M24 is a tube preamp, would it be best to pair it with a tube amp or a solid state? I don't want an overly warm sound.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be letting you know soon, since I just purchased one used unit myself. However, I'll have to find an RCA-to-mini cable first.

By the way, since the M24 is a tube preamp, would it be best to pair it with a tube amp or a solid state? I don't want an overly warm sound.

Try it out first - before you buy an amp - you don't need one.

You can get the cable at Radio Shack - RCA to 1/4 Y Adapter Cable - $6.99. You just connect the RCA plugs to the DAC output, or Line Stage output connectors of the M24, and plug your 1/4" phone plug into the 1/4" adpater jack... and... voila - great sound.

I can't recall - you may have to connect it to the Line Stage RCA's to get enough volume to your phones - but, try both - you'll figure it out. You can also... connect IC's between the DAC output RCAs and the Line Stage input RCAs and connect the adapter cable RCAs to the Line Stage output RCAs. In the later instance, you'll need to use the push button switch on the front panel to switch to the Line Stage function.

The M24 is not an "overly warm" amp - so a tube amp will be fine with it. The DV332 sounds great with it.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Sometimes it's a bit dodgy when you're about to connect a high quality headphones to expensive audio equipment, but you must through some kind of 'cheap' adapter (1/4" or 1/8" female TRS to RCA cable), in order to get it done.
Seems unprofessional, why don't they built a small headphone plug in the front?

Don't bash me, I'm just criticize the build quality, not the sound qualities.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes it's a bit dodgy when you're about to connect a high quality headphones to expensive audio equipment, but you must through some kind of 'cheap' adapter (1/4" or 1/8" female TRS to RCA cable), in order to get it done.
Seems unprofessional, why don't they built a small headphone plug in the front?

Don't bash me, I'm just criticize the build quality, not the sound qualities.

A fair criticism... but... at what price?

To add the circuit... route it to the face plate... and install the jack... would likely add another $50 to $100 to the cost of the unit - since, its based on the Lite Audio DAC 60/62, which doesn't offer that feature. So, it would require further modification... at a price. Though... you would think Lite Audio would offer it in their basic units.

Would have been nice... but... you still get great sound... though with the cable attached to the back... instead of the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back