Momentum vs M50X
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Benji8500

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking to upgrade from my Sony XB-500, which are too bassy for my taste.
I found these 2 headphones to be the best ones I could find for my budget (>200$) but I can't decide between them.
I'd also be open to other suggestions keeping in mind that I will be using them for portable use.
I listen to mainly alternative, indie, rock and a bit of EDM, and will be using a galaxy s3 as source.
Thanks in advance

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 10
I've had a brief listen to both. The momentums are the better headphone in terms of detail and clarity. I'm sure most people here would agree with me. 

Alternatively, check out this review by Lance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FJHWCVjOI8

Look at the first comment and you should have your answer.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 10
I own the m50 and don't have experience with the momentums. I have heard the Urbanites though. I could give my impression on those as a comparison.

If you want the m50 primarily as a portable, well, personally I don't like them for portable use. They are quite large and have quite a bit of weight for the head and you definitely notice it if you are out and about. For me they have a tendency to slip off my head if I bend down or something. I have them set to the smallest size they can go and the fit is still loose. I have an average sized adult male head. They are generally kind of cumbersome. If I were you I would pick something more lightweight and less bulky. Since you are also using it with a phone, it doesn't have call taking functions on the cord. Having that would be nice.

They will sound great powered from just your phone though. I use mine with an iphone on occasion with no additional amp and I have no complaints. You get good volume and full sound. The sound signature is warm. Good amount of bass, slightly scooped mids and good detail in the highs. The music and bass are at the forefront of the sound. Vocals sound a little distant at times. If vocals and such are something you want prominent in your music you will definitely feel like something is missing with these. They should be great for EDM though.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 10
The M50x is my current primary hp. I also tried the Senn. momentums for a few days. I was sort of torn between them, but sent the momentums back after a few days. (I bought them from amazon).

The momentum has amazing detail and energy, likable and present mids, the imaging is noticeably better, but I was missing the somewhat wider soundstage of the m50x (also the comfort of the m50x).

The momentums were a bit congested (soundstage wise) and ill fitting for me, deal breaker. 

Sounds great overall, just cramped.

Used a Fiio E10K on both sets.

Have not heard the XB500.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 10
I had a chance to listen to both the on and over ear versions of the Momentum. I was really disappointed. I expected more from all the positive reviews and recommendations for them.

I primarily listen to Hip Hop and the Momentums just didn't do it for me. They very much lack the bass and big sound that I enjoy in the M50. I also find the Sennheiser sound signature in general to be a kind of boring sterile sound. The overall clarity of the Momentums is just OK. They lack warmth and OOmph which could be mistaken for having more detail. It really isn't a special HP in terms of SQ in anyway. It's pretty middle of the road. As far as soundstage goes, it doesn't have one worth mentioning. It's not a factor when comparing these two. They are both closed and any differences in soundstage would be minimal. The M50 has a more powerful sound and that may make it seem like it has less of a soundstage but that isn't the case. The Momentums soundstage is just as narrow or even more so. 

You are primarily purchasing these for style in a similar manner people purchase Beats for style. In other words, they are over priced if all you really want is a good sounding HP. Also, I didn't find too much of a difference in SQ between the on and over ear versions. The difference in SQ is negligible. Also the over ears cups aren't really big enough to be circumaural. They are halfway in between on ear pads and over ear pads in terms of size. Kind of a no man's land in terms of pad size for the "over ear" version. They may be over ears for small children or tiny people or something though lol. If you listen to Hip Hop or EDM and must go with a Senn that's in that bracket I would go for the Urbanites. They do have a very clean sound, but they also have some of the bass punch that the Momentums lack. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 10

The k545 is on my list of headphones to possibly replace my M50 when it comes time to. Have to audition them first tho. 

Don't forget the K553s are on massdrop for only $119! The only thing is that it's not portable and doesn't have removable cable like the K545. I've only heard the K545 before and it is quite a big improvement over the M50x granted that you are able to sacrifice some bass. The K550 series are supposed to be even better sounding than the K545 but too bad they aren't portable and I already have a home set-up :frowning2:

But either way, the K545 is a killer headphone for portable uses. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 10

Don't forget the K553s are on massdrop for only $119! The only thing is that it's not portable and doesn't have removable cable like the K545. I've only heard the K545 before and it is quite a big improvement over the M50x granted that you are able to sacrifice some bass. The K550 series are supposed to be even better sounding than the K545 but too bad they aren't portable and I already have a home set-up :frowning2:

But either way, the K545 is a killer headphone for portable uses. 

I want something portable, so the K553 is a no go. Lack of portability is one of my gripes with the M50. Even with the X now having detachable cables the headphone is just too large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back