Momentum vs ATH -M40X
Jul 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Light

New Head-Fier
Which pair is better? the Sennheiser Momentum or the ATH 40X?
the price goes to the 40X ofcourse, but in terms of natural sound,clairty and comfort - which one is better?
Are the Momentum worth the price?

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm guessing you're talking about the first Momentum overear (m1)?

The momentum's have a little bit of a V shaped sound signature where the M40x is very neutral. The M40x has a wider sound stage than the M1. The bass of the M40x to me sounds a bit artificial. The bass on the M1 is punchy but I hear it gets bloated if you bass boost it. The treble on the M40x is pretty fatiguing if you listen to it loud. The M1 does a great job hiding imperfections in the music for example you'll have a lot harder time hearing the difference between a 96 kbps and a 256kb mp3 file than the M40x. Also the M40x is 35 ohms where the m1 I believe is 16 ohms so the M1 will be louder if you're listening on your phone but the M40x should be plenty loud still.

As far as comfort goes the M40x presses slightly against the inside of the ears as the cups aren't very deep. The M1 has a very small cup so for my large ears the cups sat on the edge of my ears instead of around ear which can be quite painful especially if you wear glasses, I had a hard time keeping them on for over an hour. But for some people that isn't an issue. If you need to put the headphones on one handed the M1 is very easy to slip on where with the M40x it's pretty hard with the swiveling every which way cups. 

So between the two I'd say the momentums as are more of a listener's headphone where the M40x is for more critical listening / mixing. For comfort I like the m40x better.

That being said there may be better headphones out there then these two such as the Gemini HSR1000, Shure 440, or the Sound Magic HP150. But that depends on what you're looking for.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm guessing you're talking about the first Momentum overear (m1)?

The momentum's have a little bit of a V shaped sound signature where the M40x is very neutral. The M40x has a wider sound stage than the M1. The bass of the M40x to me sounds a bit artificial. The bass on the M1 is punchy but I hear it gets bloated if you bass boost it. The treble on the M40x is pretty fatiguing if you listen to it loud. The M1 does a great job hiding imperfections in the music for example you'll have a lot harder time hearing the difference between a 96 kbps and a 256kb mp3 file than the M40x. Also the M40x is 35 ohms where the m1 I believe is 16 ohms so the M1 will be louder if you're listening on your phone but the M40x should be plenty loud still.

As far as comfort goes the M40x presses slightly against the inside of the ears as the cups aren't very deep. The M1 has a very small cup so for my large ears the cups sat on the edge of my ears instead of around ear which can be quite painful especially if you wear glasses, I had a hard time keeping them on for over an hour. But for some people that isn't an issue. If you need to put the headphones on one handed the M1 is very easy to slip on where with the M40x it's pretty hard with the swiveling every which way cups. 

So between the two I'd say the momentums as are more of a listener's headphone where the M40x is for more critical listening / mixing. For comfort I like the m40x better.

That being said there may be better headphones out there then these two such as the Gemini HSR1000, Shure 440, or the Sound Magic HP150. But that depends on what you're looking for.

Thank you very much, everything you said was clear.
About the other headphones you mentioned - I'd really like to know if I can get better sound then the M1 or the m40x. I'm not going to mix/edit music in a studio. I just want to have
Portable headphones that sound good and comfortable. Can you recommend at this budget ? (170$~)

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 9
JBL S500

They have had some crazy good deals on them over the past few weeks $44 free S/H refurb, eBay.

By far the best bang for the buck I've seen in the headphone realm.

Better in every way compared to my m40x ... Seriously good sounding HP

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 9
JBL S500

They have had some crazy good deals on them over the past few weeks $44 free S/H refurb, eBay.

By far the best bang for the buck I've seen in the headphone realm.

Better in every way compared to my m40x ... Seriously good sounding HP

I read some reviews on these.. and honselty I'm not excited about them.. some reviews are really bad and some are good ofcourse, but I don't want to be dissapointed after getting a pair of headphones (that feeling sucks). Are you sure about their comfort and sound?
Also, the batteries required are big minus to me..
And man, does it weight over 1 kg?!

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Get the hd25 instead!

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Did you get the momentum "over ear" and if so; were you/are you satisfied? I count the over ear more like a on ear myself, but it's indeed a good sounding can and it gets comfortable with time. I stretched the headband by bending it out to loosen the clamp and after that it became much more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back