Momentum vs Amperior
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 26
I think you may enjoy the M100.
They have a very "fun" sound sig.
The bass is a exagerated but it is punchy and I didnt find it too boomy.
They have a nice sparkly treble as stated above and I enjoyed listening to metal on them (from Iron Maiden to Lamb of God).

I owned the Momentums for a while and I found them to be far better on the whole for me than the M100's, as I also listen to a lot of other Genres (sounded fantastic for Eagles - Hell Freezes Over and Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged for an example), however for metal and any electronic music the M100's have it in spades.

I personally use my Mad Dog 3.2's to listen to a lot of metal and I find it enjoyable enough.
Though they are a darker phone, I find them having plenty of mid/treble for guitar/vocals without being harsh and enough bass to satisfy my unless I am listening to electro house music etc, in which case I just use my Vmoda LP2's, which are more or less useless for anything other than electronic music.

You could probably pick up a good cond pair of M100's for around the $200 mark.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 26
Guys right now i have a pair of momentums and hd25s. I like them very much and my only complain is the *******ed pads on the momentums wich makes me loose the seal easily when i turn my head left on a 90 degree angle or more (i have 67 mm ears)...

....recently the price of the amperiors as been dropping like crazy...

I got my hd25s for 55 euros a month ago and i can easilly sell them again for about 90. Right now the amperior are costing 140 euros. Is it worth Giving up my hd25s and dropping 50 more euros for a pair of amperiors?

Are the amperiors better (sonically) than any of the 2 i already have?

(I listen mainly to pop, rock and edm)

Cheera....

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 26
Maybe way too late for the OP, but perhaps anyone else on the fence with these two cans will benefit.

I own both of these, I actually bought the Momentums first, then bought the Amperiors after my Momentums got stolen, then ended up buying the Momentums again.

I also own the PX360s and HD650s, I originally wanted an upgrade to my PX360s that had a sound signature closer to my HD650s. I thought the Momentums would fit that bill, and I was originally really happy paying $300 for the Momentums. The bass was definitely punchier than the PX360s and HD650, detail was better than the PX360s but fell way short of the HD650s. The big plus was their low impedance meant they could be driven very well by just about any portable DAP (the PX360s need a simple amp, while the HD650s need significan power, and are not portable in any way shape or form). It was a very fun, very good, portable high-end headphone (as far as I'm concerned, a $300-$350 set of cans for street use is automaticall high end). Along wth its gorgeous styling, I had no qualms about their price: they were most definitely worth the price.

Then came the Amperiors. Originally, the Momentums and Amperiors were the same MSRP: $350, but when I bought my Amperiors they were being discontinued and I got them for less than $200. Wow..I mean WOW. The first time I heard the Amperiors they were paired up with my brand new FiiO X3, playing 192/24 tracks, plugged directly into the headphone out. I was completely blown away. I don't think any headphone ever made a bigger first impression than these.

Are they as punchy as the Momentums? No, but they are way punchier than the PX360s, and on par with the the HD650s, the bass is tighter and cleaner than the Momentums, so the impact of the bass lies below the Momentums, but in a similar class (and quality) of the HD650s.

The mids completely blow the **** out of the Momentums, its not even funny. Although the bass in the Momentums is fun, the lows tend to bleed into the lower mids, muckying up the sound a bit, the Amperiors do not have this issue, the mids are clear, detailed, and just awesome.

Highs? Well some people call this headphone aggressive. If the HD650 is laid back, and you can use the term aggressive on another headphones, use it. I would describe this headphone in comparison as being assaulted and beat over the head with a sledgehamer. The music is in your face and it smacks you around: think 'metal concert, in the pit.' The music is in your face and the highs are right there with you. Of course you might think this is a negative, and usually headphones that are aggressive are tiring due to their emphasis on treble, not so with the Amperiors! Even though the delivery of the music through these can will make you stand up and smack your momma, they most definitely arent tiring. Can you listen to them for as long as you can HD650s? No! Can you listen to them as long as you listen to the Momentums? Yes!

They are hyper-aggressive headphones that have enough bass to make you happy, deliver mids nearly flawlessly, and kick in your face with the highs, but leave you concious for hours. They are also as easy to use on any DAP as the Momentums. Price not an issue, they are better headphones than the Momentums, considering the fact that the Amperiors are now discountinued (and thus discounted), they are the bargain of the century!!!!!

My original Momentums never got the chance to be used on my X3, so I bought them again to make sure the Amperiors really were all that. After using both over and over on the same equipment, I still maintain that the Amperiors completely blow away the Momentums, and any can in the $100-$400 range.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 26
Oh yeah, as a point of referance, I listen to just about every genre:

Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Rap, Blues, Jazz, Electronic, Latin, and a bit of country and classical. I don't think there is a genre (as a whole, not track by track) I would prefer listening to the Momentums over the Amperiors: even rap, where you would think the bassier Momentum would win, but the detail of the Amperiors is so superior to the Momentums that even here I prefer the 'enough' but tight and clean bass sound that does not bleed into mids of the Amperiors to the punchier, but looser bass of the Momentums. 

Check out the 48/24 mix of the 'Enhanced Stereo' side of Snoop Dogg's  Doggystyle DualDisc to see what I mean. If you want a clear situation of where the bass of the Momentums fail in hip hop, but the Amperiors shine, check out the 48/24 mix of the 'Enhanced Stereo' side of Tupac's 'Makavelli:The Don Killuminat - 7 Day Theory''s Hail Mary...I HATED this track on the Momentums (though most hip hop sounds awesome on the Momentums, I pick this track to illustrate how, even if your a bass head with leanings towards audiophilia, the Amperiors still are the better route).

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #22 of 26
Thank you very much for your reply bruin.... :)
Actually i just sold my 3rd pair of momentums. I really do love them and the way they sound but in the end i could never get a decent fit\seal and that just killed it for me. I feel pretty sad because i really love the way they sound. I tried 3 different pairs of momentums to see if i could get one but in each and everyone of the i always had a problem with confort, fit or seal and in the end although i loved the sound i always ended up focusing more on the issues than on the fantastic sound quality.
Since i sold my momentu!s again now i have 180 euros to spend.
I thought of the amperiors but many people told me that since i have the h25 the amperiors are not worth getting because the improvement is very small (over the hd25s).
Oh yeah, as a point of referance, I listen to just about every genre:

Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Rap, Blues, Jazz, Electronic, Latin, and a bit of country and classical. I don't think there is a genre (as a whole, not track by track) I would prefer listening to the Momentums over the Amperiors: even rap, where you would think the bassier Momentum would win, but the detail of the Amperiors is so superior to the Momentums that even here I prefer the 'enough' but tight and clean bass sound that does not bleed into mids of the Amperiors to the punchier, but looser bass of the Momentums. 

Check out the 48/24 mix of the 'Enhanced Stereo' side of Snoop Dogg's  Doggystyle DualDisc to see what I mean. If you want a clear situation of where the bass of the Momentums fail in hip hop, but the Amperiors shine, check out the 48/24 mix of the 'Enhanced Stereo' side of Tupac's 'Makavelli:The Don Killuminat - 7 Day Theory''s Hail Mary...I HATED this track on the Momentums (though most hip hop sounds awesome on the Momentums, I pick this track to illustrate how, even if your a bass head with leanings towards audiophilia, the Amperiors still are the better route).

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 26
bought the amperiors today at best buy for 119.00 bucks plus tax,,got them home and put them on for the first time and gotta say im very impressed with the sound quality of these things,,not sure if these have removable cables,,im thinking not which is a bummer  but really for a 119.00 what do ya want rite,,these these are great..very aggressive ..great for rockn roll ,,metal,,im loving these things,,cant wait to hear they sound after some burn in,,very happy camper ...

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #24 of 26
  bought the amperiors today at best buy for 119.00 bucks plus tax,,got them home and put them on for the first time and gotta say im very impressed with the sound quality of these things,,not sure if these have removable cables,,im thinking not which is a bummer  but really for a 119.00 what do ya want rite,,these these are great..very aggressive ..great for rockn roll ,,metal,,im loving these things,,cant wait to hear they sound after some burn in,,very happy camper ...

Of course they have removable cables.  Every part on the HD25/Amperior is replaceable.  The only caveat to that is that the design includes the headphone cable sandwiched into the headband to feed the other cup.  However, there are many people who simply convert the HD25/Amperior to a "Y" headphone cable connection.  It's simple as pie that way - the headphone cable plugs are perfectly compatible with the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 cable system  You just feed them directly into the headphone cups and it results in a "Y" connection.  The HD 580/600 or HD650 cables can be plugged directly into the Amperior cans.  If you still want a single-can headphone cable feed, take a look on Sennheiser's website for HD25 cables.  There are several and they're all made to be threaded through the headband to the other can.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #25 of 26
Of course they have removable cables.  Every part on the HD25/Amperior is replaceable.  The only caveat to that is that the design includes the headphone cable sandwiched into the headband to feed the other cup.  However, there are many people who simply convert the HD25/Amperior to a "Y" headphone cable connection.  It's simple as pie that way - the headphone cable plugs are perfectly compatible with the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 cable system  You just feed them directly into the headphone cups and it results in a "Y" connection.  The HD 580/600 or HD650 cables can be plugged directly into the Amperior cans.  If you still want a single-can headphone cable feed, take a look on Sennheiser's website for HD25 cables.  There are several and they're all made to be threaded through the headband to the other can.
Oh wow thank you so much. I haven't really taken a good look at them but I'm relieved that I can. Now I'll definitely look into a better cable.. Again thank you..

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #26 of 26
Guys right now i have a pair of brand new momentums and a pair of hd25's with no box, and no box and purchase document (mint condition though),,,,, still, i can easily sell my hd25's for about 120 euros and i can get my self a pair of brand new amperiors for 148 euros.....

Is the trade worth it? Are there reasons for me to think that a change from the hd25 to the amperior would made me benefit in anything?

How does the sound o both? The velour pads seems like a wonderfull addition in terms of confort, although i also read that the velour pads isolate less and provide a bit less bass than on the hd25's with the pleather pads....

Also read that some people found the amperiors to be more agressive than the hd25's (even more highs and  more forward mids....)..... the amperiors were not supposed bo be the ore refined pair? (maybe more hours of burn in will resolve this?)

Help me make a decision guys.....

I mostly use my ipod touch and nexus 7 (no amps) and listen to indie, pop, rock and edm (very occasionally also a bit of hip hop and r'n'b).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back