Momentum On-Ears or Onkyo ES-HF300?
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AwkwardSheep

New Head-Fier
Choosing between these two as portable headphone options. I realize they are in different price ranges but I can afford either.

I listen to very little pop or hip-hop.
More towards electronic sound, instrumentals (ie. soundtracks, orchestras).

Laura Stevenson, Passion Pit, C2C would be good examples.
Final Fantasy or Les Miserables fitting into the latter category.

Using these for commuting, so sturdiness is a big factor though I've heard both of them are quite well constructed.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I personally find it hard to recommend the momentum on ear. The bass is on the heavy side and a bit muddy overall.

I havent heard the onkyos so i cant be the one to say but theyve gotten rave reviews and descried as being comparable to many phones above its price

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I did get a bit of that sense when I tried it on (bass was covering the vocals) but was hoping  it might be okay with some equalizing.

Out of curiosity, do you have any options in mind that are within or below the Momentum On-Ear's price range?
I've had a few other ones like the AKG K550 in the back of my head. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 4
the k550 has a nice balanced sound that would be great for soundtracks and orchestral music. not as brilliant on electronic but u cant cover all the bases. Only problem i have with the k550 is that theyre really not all that portable. And for me personally the clamping is rather loose. i do have a smaller head though

other possible choices are vmoda m80, sony mdr-1r. those r a few that come to mind. sony mdr-1r is like the uber comfort headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back